Meet the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 1, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Segment leading efficiency improves further.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 21, 2016

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid – Pricing to be announced while offering owners a 49/47/48 mpgUS city/highway/combined rating.

Along with the standard Accord’s nicely refreshed offering in 2016, the 2017 Accord Hybrid receives the new appointments, interior and exterior upgrades and even more noteworthy, a more efficient drivetrain upgrade.

In just a matter of weeks, the 2017 Accord Hybrid will be released with a more powerful and efficient second-gen two-motor hybrid powertrain. It will have the highest EPA fuel economy ratings of any midsize hybrid sedan while delivering the highest power output of any being offered today. Considering the refreshed 2017 Accord Hybrid and its 49/47 mpgUS city/highway rating would actually be rated at 51/47 mpgUS city/highway as a 2016 due to the EPAs lowering of Hybrid efficiency ratings, this is third gen Prius territory in a true midsized sedan.

The two areas where the 2014 - 2015 Accord Hybrid fell short is its efficiency above 60 mph and its upfront pricing at $30,140 to start while competitors while offering their mid-size Hybrids starting in the $26k range.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

[​IMG]

Honda stated that with improved production methods and supplies of hybrid components, they are anticipating significantly more Accord Hybrid sales. More than double the amount that sold in 2014 (14,000).

Meaning the pricing should be more aligned with what consumers are seeing from competitors. Fingers crossed on this one as it was one of the few reasons one did not reach our own drive last year.

Looking Back
    And now forward…

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

As mentioned above, the 2017 Accord Hybrid was adorned with the non-hybrid Accord’s substantial mid-model refreshes including Display Audio with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and the Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. Honda stated all will be standard equipment on all new 2017 Accord Hybrids.

As a Hybrid, Honda equipped the Accord with aluminum hood and unique alloys, blue highlighted LED headlamps and taillights and exterior badging. A smaller Li-Ion hybrid battery pack increases trunk capacity to 13.5 cu. ft.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Trunk

[​IMG]

Honda's second iteration of its two-motor hybrid system is combined with the atkinsonized 2.0L i-VTEC providing a peak combined output of 212 hp, the highest of any midsize hybrid sedan and 16 hp over the 2015 Accord Hybrid.

Just like the first gen two-motor hybrid powertrain, The Accord Hybrid's revised two-motor hybrid powertrain seamlessly transitions between three operations:
    • EV Drive – Electric only propulsion drives the front wheels for short distances under light loads

• Hybrid Drive – Electric motor drives the front wheels while the gasoline engine powers a second motor/generator to supplement electrical current drawn from the traction battery

• Engine Drive – A lock-up clutch connects the engine and propulsion motor, the front wheels are driven by both the motor and gasoline engine.
    The upgraded next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering body structure and Honda Sensing technology should allow the 2017 Accord Hybrid to earn a 2016 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ and a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the NHTSA just like the non-hybrid Accord’s Best-in-class ratings.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid 2.0L I4

[​IMG]

2017 Honda Accord Trims

Hybrid, Hybrid EX-L and Hybrid Touring.

New standard features include a wide angle rearview camera, remote engine start and Honda Sensing, which includes Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS™), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Road Departure Mitigation (RDM), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW).

Available new features on upper trims include a 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, heated rear seats, and front and rear parking sensors. ß This is the area I was afraid of as competitors are offering these features on their base midsize hybrid trims. I am thinking of the value priced, all-new, second generation 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid here.

All-in, at some point everything will have to be electrified. Maybe Honda’s new offerings will get begin to move us there?

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Announcement and Environmental Vehicle Business Update from Detroit

[​IMG]

John Mendel, Executive VP, Automobile Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. introducing both the Accord Hybrid and Clarity Fuel Cell.

2. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

I think the Accord Hybrid system is excellent from my experience with the PHEV and this seems improved. But one additional shortcoming is that the seats still do not fold apparently. If you have a longer object it just limits you and nowadays most hybrids do have foldable rear seats. Hopefully next generation...

The Clarify PHEV coming next year I assume would have foldable seats and 40+ mile AER (hatchback?). But don't really like the styling.

xcel likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The two biggest negatives for the Accord hybrid was price and front legroom, which was inexcusably lacking for such a big car. Otherwise, it was the best handling and driving hybrid between the Camry and Sonata that I drove last year. The high price was from supply shortages, as Wayne points out, and hopefully those have abated. It's a shame that Honda didn't try a 2-motor hybrid drive for the new Civic, but I guess their marketing guys are betting that gas prices are going to stay low.

xcel likes this.