Resistance Is Futile

Discussion in 'General' started by rhwinger, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Red, white and blue hybrids, along with an ecoboost, in front of an F-15 Eagle jet fighter. Can't get much more patriotic than that!

So, my wife Marjorie convinced me to buy a hybrid in July 2006.

[​IMG]

Then a few months after that, my sister Rose bought her Camry hybrid.

[​IMG]

After a few Wayne 'adventure drives' and my spreading world fame, ;-), one of my coworkers - Robert - bought a Prius. He now sends out occasional FCD shots. You know you are a hypermiler when...

Then Ken, another coworker bought a Leaf after his original Ford Model T met an untimely death when it was lanced in the hood by a tree limb during a freak windstorm while parked in his driveway. A deeply religious guy - I told him God was trying to tell him something. ;-)

Another coworker, who shall remain nameless, ran out of room in his car and couldn't stack any more newspapers, Burger King bags or junk mail on the seats. So rather than cleaning it out, he too bought a Camry Hybrid.

[​IMG]

I told my friend Bruce about leasing availability and pricing for a Leaf, and in a few weeks, he was gas free for his commute. He out did us all for the picture above, bringing an electric drift trike invented by his son. And here is Robert, giving the trike a try.

[​IMG]

Somewhere along the line, my brother Mike bought a Leaf, and now is the proud owner of a Volt. Wayne will like this pic. ;-)

[​IMG]
    He might like this pic, too?

Awhile later, Steve, another coworker, needed to change the spark plugs in his Ridgeline. So instead, he traded it in for a F150 Ecoboost.

This morning, the other Steve in the office walks in to the lab and says "I got 38 mpg on the way in this morning." He always teases me describing how he LOVES to drive around with his windows rolled down. ;-) He had been talking about buying a RAV-4 hybrid, but the last thing he said about it last week was that he couldn't find an acceptable deal. I didn't quite catch on. I mean, it *IS* Monday after the time change?

We all just got back from the parking lot, checking out his new, pearl while RAV-4 hybrid.

Only 2 more guys left in the office driving regular cars now.

Resistance is futile. You WILL be assimilated!

I tried to get pictures of the original instigators. Credit has to go out to the lady who told my wife about her hybrid - a self proclaimed hippy grandma. I did meet her once, admiring her wonderfully restored VW microbus in a Starbucks parking lot, but I didn't know then that she was the lady talking to Marjorie. It's a small town here in WIlliamsburg. Marjorie wouldn't stand for a photo op, either.

But I know she cares. Never a problem obtaining spousal approval when Wayne calls. ;-)

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

That's a really neat story. But just to be clear, are you saying some guy was daily-driving a Model T? He must hold the record for the most significant upgrade in vehicle technology ever achieved in a singe transaction. To do any better he would have had to be DDing a horse.

3. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

It was a Taurus, but it looked like Henry Ford built it himself. ;-)

4. brick

Yeah, that doesn't change the story much for me. ;)

rhwinger likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Resistance is futile!

[​IMG]

rhwinger likes this.
  6. brick

That's an Ioniq, right? Hyundai's design studio really has their act together.

rhwinger and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has a nice profile and looks good from front and front 3/4 view also. I'm not digging the back, but the car is proof that you don't need to have the weird space pod shape of the gen IV Prius to be efficient.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/index.aspx

rhwinger likes this.