Mazda U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 27.2% with 23,396 Vehicles Sold

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 4, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] CX-3 and MX-5 are moving but not enough to make up for the 3, 6 and CX-5 declines.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 1, 2016

Mazda March 2016 Sales Overview

Mazda reported March U.S. sales of 23,396 vehicles, a decrease of 27.2 percent versus the 32,121 sold in March of 2016. On a daily selling rate, sales were down an even harsher 32.6 percent.

Year to date, sales of 64,643 is down 17.2 percent vs. the 78,042 vehicles sold through the same period of 2015.

This company’s products are better than this. :(

Mazda March 2016 Sales Highlights

[​IMG]

In its seventh full month of sales, the Mazda CX-3 achieved its second-best sales month ever with 1,748 vehicles sold. Year to date sales have reached 4,916 vehicles.

2016 Mazda CX-3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

In March both Ford and Nissan picked up significant market share. On a volume basis, March sales of 1.59 million vehicles was up 3.2 percent over March of 2015s 1.54 million vehicles sold result. YTD sales of 4.05 million is up 2.5 percent over the 3.95 million vehicles sold through the same period of 2015.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

U.S. March 2016 Sales vs. March 2015 Sales Ranks and Results for the top 14 Automobile Manufacturers

Ford U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 8.0% with 254,711 Vehicles Sold
    GM U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 0.9% with 252,128 Vehicles Sold
    Toyota March 2016 Sales Down 2.7 % with 219,842 Vehicles Sold
    FCA U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 8.0% with 213,187 Vehicles Sold
    Nissan U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 12.7% with 163,559 Vehicles Sold
    Honda U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 9.4% with 138,221 Vehicles Sold
    Hyundai U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 0.4% with 75,310 Vehicles Sold
    Kia U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 0.8% with 58,279 Vehicles Sold
    Subaru U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 0.4% with 49,285 Vehicles Sold
    BMW U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 13.3% with 34,795 Vehicles Sold
    Mercedes-Benz U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 3.6% with 31,715 Vehicles Sold
    VW U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 10.4% with 26,914 Vehicles Sold
    Mazda U.S. March 2016 Sales Down 27.2% with 23,396 Vehicles Sold
    Audi U.S. March 2016 Sales Up 7.5% with 18,392 Vehicles Sold

In March, Ford overtook GM by the slimmest of margins, Nissan continues to outpace Honda, Kia is cementing its sales lock over Subaru and BMW overtook Mercedes-Benz.

Light trucks continued to dominate the industry with the sales mix of 58 percent.

The industry achieved US sales of around 1.59 million vehicles in March, the best March in in over a decade. YTD SAAR is 17.4 million, the best first quarter start since 2001.

2. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

This is a bummer. I have a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring for a loaner car and it's super. I can't believe these cars aren't selling like hotcakes. I think it drives as well (or better) than it looks - and it's a looker!

Maybe in a year or two I'll consider a new Mazda. My '07 Mazda 3 is about to reach 200,000 miles, so I've got a couple more years to decide.

Jay, xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andy:

My sentiments exactly. Mazda pushed the retail price button a bit too much but like you said, a great R&H car that looks fantastic should sell better than this.

Wayne

4. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of it comes down to a lack of advertising. I just do not see their advertisements in comparison to their competition.

xcel likes this.
  5. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

As far as advertising goes, I actually do see a fair amount from Mazda. It's mostly online though. I got rid of cable 6 months ago and watch online programming (through Apple-TV and the internet) and I see Mazda ads there quite a bit. Aiming for a younger demographic possibly? You know, the younger demographic who have less and less interest in car ownership....

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

With the internet ads, you may be getting more of what you previously browsed. I helped answer a question about a certain solar panel (with the mandatory fact check), and now I get Am*zon ads for solar panels.

xcel likes this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

haha, I just realized I was being "Captain Obvious"... yes, I've seen those streamed ads. :)

xcel likes this.
  8. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

We do not have cable, but still have over the air. I rarely see anything on the standard channels. Typically, when I watch internet TV it shows the the MX-5. I really think that they need to make a couple of commercials highlighting one particular model.

One other thing to note is that they have a small dealership base depending on where you live. They are definitely not as robust as the other imports.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

One thing i find interesting, is that a large percentage of the mazda 3's i see on the road are engaging in very poor driving. I am not sure if it's the demographic, or the zoom zoom advertising, but the amount of douchebaggery i witness daily from people driving Mazda 3's is really not proportional to the number of them on the road. I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but around here it's very common.
    What is also interesting is that the people driving the Miata(Mazdas sports car) do not drive like that.

xcel likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but in my area there are no Mazda dealers within 150 miles. There is quite a large geographic area completely unserved by any dealers. Then again, the Mazda3 got punked by the new turbo Civic. Mazda engineers will no doubt respond, since they have a lot of experience with turbos, but they aren't competitive this year.

xcel likes this.