2006 Honda Civic Hybrid IPU Fan Speed Control Help Needed

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by kpaw, Apr 2, 2016.

1. kpaw

kpaw New Member

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.
    The IPU fan seems to be running at high speed all the time except when the car is shut off ( key is not turned to ignition or the engine is not running)
    How can I diagnose this?
    I read online somewhere that the voltage, current and temperature together are used control / determine the speed of the fan.
    Is this correct?
    Am I looking for relays, resistors, temperature sensor(s), voltage controller, current controller, pwm controller?
    And where is/are it/they located?
    I bought and installed a battery pack grid charger for the ima battery and it seems to be working well.
    I am just trying to see if I can resolve this one issue with the fan always running at high speed all the time the engine is running or the key is turned to ignition.
    In the past it never seems to do that.
    It would only run when needed then shut off - at least it appeared that way to me.
    Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

2. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Which grid charger?

Did this occur immediately after the grid charger install?

3. kpaw

kpaw New Member

Maxx Volts.

It seems like this started after I used the charger, I believe the second time since I charged it for longer (about 12 hours).

I thought there was the slight smell of burning rubber, but I cannot be 100% sure.

4. S Keith

I'll stop here. We're already talking over there.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

What does IPU stand for?

6. S Keith

Intelligent Power Unit

Basically the box that holds all the IMA crap.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

And IMA? Just kidding, knew that one. Thanks. :)

I have the Service Manual for the 06 Civic Hybrid, and gotta say they are going ever further down the acronym hole, it becomes increasingly difficult to make sense of a lot of it.

8. S Keith

Commonplace reference that started with the 2000 Insight. Used extensively there, but not so much in other models.