Tesla Model ☰ Reveal Tonight at 8:30 PST

Discussion in 'General' started by NeilBlanchard, Mar 31, 2016.

1. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I will be watching the reveal tonight:

https://www.teslamotors.com/

This is Tesla Motors raison d'être - and possibly the biggest event in automotive history? It certainly forced GM's hand, and they will be building the Bolt EV in response. We'll see what Nissan (and others?) do in response, soon I hope.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wish I could stay up that late ! I get up at 4:10 AM during the week. Sigh.

xcel likes this.
  3. kbergene

kbergene Active Member

I agree this is a game changer. But I think the mainline automakers face serious strategic obstacles in selling more than a handful of pure electrics. The result is likely to be slower adoption that I would otherwise hope for. (Yes, I am a fan of the concept.)

First is the battery production capability; Tesla had to build a factory since none existed anywhere else with spare capacity. If GM or Ford (to name just two) want to build half-million electric cars a year, they will need to build or partner on similar battery production.

Second is the legacy dealer network, whose economic model is built on servicing (gas powered) vehicles. Take away much of that revenue, and its no surprise that they aren't enthusiastic about selling pure electric vehicles. This is solvable, but not easily.

Count me among those putting $1000 to save a place in line for a Model 3. I'm intrigued enough to want to keep a place in line. I also think that Tesla blows through the vehicle volume limit tied to the $7500 federal tax credit, and being in line early is another benefit.

Here in the Twin Cities, the line outside the Tesla store an hour after opening was at least a couple hundred people.

xcel likes this.
  4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I'm not a huge fan of the looks on Tesla but that 3 i just watch is going to changing everything in terms of EV.

Whats going to happen to hydrogen?

xcel likes this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

The 3 is an Elantra looking EV with good range, good price for an EV and if all holds true, they will be able to produce them in the numbers required. Tesla Super Charger capable in base form? That alone is worth the price of admission.

It sure does place the 200 mile Bolt at a disadvantage as that is based off a Sonic like platform and it does not stand a chance at anything over $30k. Of course the 3 will not be out until almost 2018 but it should be an interesting year as 100 mile range BEVs will be discarded like yesterday news. Even the new IONIQ BEV with a 110 mile range is toast before it is launched. LEAF and e-Golf. Sales will probably stop tomorrow.

Then we have Elon's $35k before any incentive pledge. We have heard that before. Few if any of the base $35k models may be available whereas they will try and sell the Ludicrous mode Model 3 with 300+ mile range and 0 to 60 times under 4.5 seconds to anyone for $55 to $65k. That is the big part of the Tesla model that has always bothered me. Maybe this time they have turned over a new LEAF. Or maybe not? Saving the planet while many dump their yearly salary or more into one is kind of stupid.

While the company has been bleeding cash for years, they have installed one hell of a Super Charger network while the OEMs were playing around for years to come up with the almost still born SAE Level3 specs.

Almost paying for the Gigafactory last night was a bonus.

Wayne

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Maybe they will sell the Model 3 with Totally Jack-diculous Mode. For only $60K ! But I really like this car , especially at $35K before incentives.

xcel likes this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

You might say Tesla is on a roll ....

"Sending a strong signal to autoindustry heads, Mercedes’ flagship S-Class, for long the most popular luxury chariot in Western Europe, was last year outsold in Western Europe by Tesla’s comparatively recent all-electric Models S, according to AID compiled data. "

Tesla’s Model S outsold Mercedes S-Class in Europe last year
    http://www.eagleaid.com/AID-Newslet...sold-Mercedes-S-Class-in-Europe-last-year.htm

xcel likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Tesla now has 200,000 orders for the model 3.

The top 3 luxury car makers in US sales were all about 340,000 units each in 2015 (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz).

Today (as opposed to a couple days ago) it looks like Tesla could “soon” be selling (and hopefully producing) 500,000 cars per year.

If you are BMW and Mercedes, do today’s activities involve emergency board meetings and shltting lithium ion shaped bricks?

rhwinger and xcel like this.
  9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I bet it will hit 500,000+ orders

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI Carcus:

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz are all profitable entities so far. With the Super Charger and Giga Factory investment soon to be completed, hopefully Tesla profits will arrive. Hopefully.

TSLA - April 16th, 2016

[​IMG]

Notice the earnings?

Wayne

11. NeilBlanchard

xcel likes this.
  12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The lack of hatch is a disappointment. But the "surfboard will fit/ bike will fit" + flat folding seats + trailer hitch optional pretty much makes up for it (at least for me).

The hitch was a pleasant surprise --- most manufacturers will void your warranty if you put a hitch on their car.

xcel and NeilBlanchard like this.
  13. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

I wonder how long it will take to work thru this order list, and what will happen to orders when the Fed incentives expire? Will be interesting to see. Amazing.

14. NeilBlanchard

The Chevy Bolt EV will attract a slightly different group from the Model ☰, and hopefully the 2nd gen Leaf will essentially be the IDS Concept, and that will be another compelling choice for some people.

I like this subtle improvement on the only visual piece that is difficult for some to accept:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  15. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Work through the order list -- My WAG:
    IF
    -you placed order number 300,000
    AND
    - production starts at the end of 2017
    - Model 3 production ramps up at twice the rate of Model S
    THEN
    You would get a model 3 in late 2020.

16. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That's incredibly lame, who does that? I know some will say that towing is not permitted, but a hitch doesn't always mean that towing was done. I'll likely put a hitch on my next car to use my bike carrier, but don't plan on towing anything.

17. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Since brake lights are probably required on any trailer, maybe it would be enough for you to prove that you haven't been towing by showing the lack of a trailer electrical harness and/or pristine tail light/rear brake light harnesses? If I put on a hitch, though, *I* would want to tow. :)

p.s. This Is with respect to *other* car manufacturers that do not allow towing with THEIR hybrids.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I should have been more specific. I assume Tesla is going to let you tow with the model 3. Most cars do not have the ability to tow (with you warranty at risk).
    From a Honda Civic owner's manual:
    "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your
    warranties."

19. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I read the earlier reply the way you intended, and I'm guessing Mike did, too, but good to be extra clear. Thanks!

xcel likes this.
  20. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"
    If at first you don’t succeed… declare bankruptcy and try again. Before he made a name in the automotive industry, Henry Ford made some business missteps and had to file for bankruptcy. Twice.

The first time Ford had to file was with his Detroit Automobile Company which was backed by three prominent politicians (who Ford blamed for the financial default and became obsessed with getting rid of).

His second attempt, the Henry Ford Company, met with the same bankruptcy fate. While he had managed to distance himself from the bother of his investors – having complete say was the downfall. Ford’s perfectionism resulted in too few cars being produced.

Third time proved to be the charm though. Henry Ford founded Ford Motor Company a few years later and the rest is history."
    How many times did Henry Ford go bankrupt before making it big?
    http://stuartlichtman.com/how-many-times-did-henry-ford-go-bankrupt-before-making-it-big/

/hopefully, Elon's car company will succeed on it's "first go". But if not, he's still in good company.