20 Automakers Commit to Standard Auto Emergency Braking by 2022

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 22, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Accidents, injuries, deaths and vehicle accident repair costs will decline thanks to this noteworthy commitment.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Mar. 20, 2016

Auto Emergency Braking demonstrations plus the aftermath both with and without.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), announced a historic commitment with 20 major automakers representing more than 99 percent of the U.S. auto market to make automatic emergency braking a standard feature on all new cars no later than September of 2022.

The commitment means that these new safety technologies will be available to more consumers more quickly than would be possible through any regulatory process.

Auto Emergency Braking systems help prevent crashes or reduce their severity by applying the brakes for the driver automatically. The systems use on-vehicle sensors including radar, cameras or lasers to detect an imminent crash, warn the driver and apply the brakes if the driver does not take sufficient action expeditiously.

NHTSA estimates that the agreement will make auto emergency braking standard on new cars three years faster than could be achieved through the formal regulatory process. The IIHS estimates the early commitment will prevent 28,000 accidents and 12,000 injuries over those three years.

By making auto emergency braking systems standard equipment, it will prevent tens of thousands of crashes and save thousands of lives.

Based on mounting evidence that auto emergency braking reduced crashes and injuries, NHTSA and IIHS issued a challenge to the automotive industry in September 2015 to encourage automakers to voluntarily make auto emergency braking a standard feature.

With road fatalities on the rise, the commitment has the potential to save more lives than anything the safety organizations can accomplish via regulatory means over the next six years.

The commitment will make auto emergency braking standard on virtually all light-duty cars and trucks with a gross vehicle weight of 8,500 lbs. or less beginning no later than Sept. 1, 2022. Auto emergency braking will be standard on virtually all trucks with a gross vehicle weight between 8,501 lbs. and 10,000 lbs. beginning no later than Sept. 1, 2025.

The commitment will not slow or hamper the evolution of auto emergency braking technology or autonomous driving advances that are just now beginning to emerge. The current performance measures are based on real world data showing that vehicles with this level of capability are avoiding crashes.

[​IMG]

All-in, few accidents mean safer roadways and lower overall crash repair costs for all of us.

Automakers making the commitment include the following:
    • Audi
    • BMW
    • FCA
    • Ford
    • GM
    • Honda
    • Hyundai
    • Jaguar/Land Rover
    • Kia
    • Maserati
    • Mazda
    • Mercedes-Benz
    • Mitsubishi
    • Nissan
    • Porsche
    • Subaru
    • Tesla
    • Toyota
    • VW
    • Volvo
    NHTSA will accelerate its own R&D on more advanced auto emergency braking applications, including systems that reduce the risk of collisions with pedestrians. In December, NHTSA announced plans to rate AEB systems and other advanced collision avoidance technologies under its 5-Star Safety Ratings criteria beginning in the 2018 model year.

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Gee , I wonder what the $$$ cost per life saved is. The NHTSA is always looking out for us.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I am still hoping someone will come up with a standard countermeasure for the texting idiot that's going to ram you from behind.

xcel likes this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That's why this is a good thing. I want THEIR car to have this feature, to protect ME.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

That's a good thought, but I don't expect I'll live to see that risk eliminated in my lifetime. Older vehicles will be out there for a very long time. And when robot-driven vehicles start to spread, my thinking is that the human element will be there for a long time causing accidents. And good luck getting rid of FSPs any time soon.

Knock on wood it's been 20+ years since I've been tapped from behind ('85 Supra down a long hill in NY state east of Troy that ends in a stop sign; the young lady behind me could not stop; brake fade probably), but I think I've been partially lucky and partially hyper vigilant w.r.t. who's behind me. Many times, I have intentionally pulled over and let tailgaters pass, and I wasn't even being a slow poke at the time. If there is an unavoidable tailgater, I keep that in mind and open up MY following distance a little to allow for THEIR reaction time, and I signal my own intent to stop a bit earlier than if there was no one behind me. I also account for their lesser ability to see farther down the road ahead and give them every opportunity to see upcoming hazards at the road side (walkers, joggers, bicyclists).

With nature liking to keep things in balance, my wife has had about 5 instances of being hit from behind. Her spine is a bit of a wreck.

xcel likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That does make sense, Andrew. I have been hit from behind three times in two cars.

xcel likes this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The risk may not be eliminated but it gets better over time. This technology is a tremendous boon to motorcyclists who are wiped out in droves by the left-turning "I just didn't see him" driver.

xcel likes this.
  8. BillLin

Oh yeah, I am a motorcyclist, too, though it has been a while. That's where I picked up the vigilant routine. :). I had a Kawasaki Concours, 1000cc sport touring bike.

xcel likes this.
  9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

This seems a bit too ambitious a time line, but that is typical. The irony is, we were hearing how we will be getting fully autonomous cars even sooner than this - that is waaaayy to optimistic, I think.

xcel likes this.