P195/65R15 Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus' vs Toyo NanoEnergy's

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Mar 17, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I completed a little hyper #efficient #tire comparison with regards to #mass on this week's internal review drive.

Hyper Efficient Tire Shootout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    P195/65R15 - Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus

[​IMG]
    P195/65R15 - Toyo NanoEnergy​

P195/65R15s - The Bridgestone #Ecopia 422 Plus' weigh the same as the #Toyo #NanoEnergy's.

No advantage.

There is 45-minutes of my life I will not be getting back anytime soon. :(

Wayne

Mendel Leisk, ALS and BillLin like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Dang, I thought this was going to be a full-blown rolling resistance test.

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I hope you are going to drive with each set of tires on the same car? Even a seat-of-the-pants comparison would be fine.

4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I inferred from the photo with the car and 2 dismounted wheel/tire assemblies that Wayne had done a quick driving comparison. I could be wrong. :)

[addendum] in retrospect, I probably AM wrong!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I only have two Bridgestone Ecopia 422's mounted on alloys so I could not do a back to back. The Bridgestone's do have twice the wear rating if that helps?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

I do like a higher wear rating. The tires on the Leaf and Prius wore quickly. The ones on the C-MAX started with more tread and seem to be lasting better, but boy are they expensive to replace. I've been sparing my summer (original) Prius tires by running my Continental winter tires more, but it is almost time to switch back. One more batch of snow this weekend expected.

xcel likes this.
  7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Yeah, that snow threat is my fault. I swapped-out the winter tires on both cars last weekend. At one point I commented over my shoulder to my neighbor from the business end of my jack "I'm probably tempting fate here, but..." So...sorry. (In my own defense, my wife absolutely roasted the Conti EWC winter tires on her van in two seasons. The fresh GY Comfortread Tourings might actually be better in the snow at this point.)

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. BillLin

You're forgiven, Tim. :) Ask me again after the Northeaster passes. Only a few inches predicted in my area. I'm hoping I remember to try turning off the traction control on our hill.

xcel likes this.
  9. BillLin

Only 5 inches fell, and it'll be fully off the road long before I have to tackle our hill for the return trip this evening.

However, I hadn't realized that this fine Prius does not have a defeat button for the traction control! Thanks to the internet, there are many places that capture the procedure. It's more of a voodoo ritual than anything else, and you have to do it before you actually start the car. The traction control will then stay disabled until you shut down, then you'll have to do it all over again if you want to disable TC. Grrr!

xcel likes this.