How far is far enough?

Discussion in 'General' started by DaveinOlyWA, Mar 5, 2016.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA He who posts articles

I hear this all the time; "If only my EV could go XX miles, I would never need public charging." That could not be further from the truth. Unless you know someone who has developed perpetual energy, you will always need to refuel. Sure a 200 mile range probably means you won't have to do it as much but its more likely to mean that you will forget to plug in at home more often necessitating a boost for the road.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/03/february-2016-drive-stats-public.html

2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That "if only" statement never crossed my mind when I had a Leaf. I would prefer more public charging stations to venture farther afield.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA He who posts articles

well good for you! and it has never really crossed mine either. Obviously more is better but even if I had a 300 mile EV, I would still rely on public charging. After all; my 400 mile gasser still relies on gas stations... :)

BillLin likes this.
  4. Trouble I see with an EV no matter the range is what I have experienced with my Volt.

- chargers fail: on my 3rd L2. Plug it in at night, everything looks normal. Wake up in the morning, no charge and it's dead.

- forget to plug in - only happened to me twice in almost 3 years, but it happens

- get to work (or other destination) and someone has blocked the EV charging parking spot. Happened more times than I can count. 0-5 miles range left and nowhere nearby to charge

- power outages - 3 times in 3 years. Unable to charge, no power.

- set charge time wrong. Try to charge during off peak rate and screw it up. Only happened once or twice.

Yea, some of these are user error, I goofed. But the rest are out of the drivers control. I would have been walking if I had an EV as my only vehicle.

I could get by with a 100 mile range ev, but I don't want to have one as my only vehicle.

BillLin likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I could get by with 80-100 range. But like ThestepChild said , not if it's my only vehicle. But there is always the possibility of renting a vehicle for longer trips. That's not very convenient.

BillLin likes this.
  6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Some public charging station charge to the point if you had a Volt for instance it would be much
    cheaper to just buy gas over the price of an electric charge.

BillLin likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

I would NEVER want to rely on finding a charger here in Illinois. When you do find one , there's a 13-year-old Chrsyler minivan parked in it. I need a decent range PHEV. How much range ? The new Volt has about enough. With a little thought , I could use gasoline only on one 22 mile highway leg and do the remaining 47 miles on battery. The good news : more PHEV choices than ever before , and better ones coming soon.

BillLin likes this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I did determine it to be cheaper to run on gas over electricity at 25 cents/kWh (my power line delivered rate). Our solar PV isn't enough for all our needs so we still have a bill 3 months a year. I use my limited battery capacity for a couple of short hill climbs and for getting up to speed from a stop, where the Prius would be in the 20-30 mpg range, and for <1 mile trips at lunch time, more like a neighborhood EV. The rest of the time I set it to hybrid mode and get the 50+ mpg. I charge 1 hour at 110V nightly. The wife's C-MAX Energi has 3x actual EV range over the PIP, but I've asked her to scale back on all-EV driving. Her daily 110V charging is very limited as well though she travels much greater distances.

9. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Here in Oregon, in effect since Jan 01, 2016, it is a violation with up to $250.00 fine for parking in an electric vehicle charging station with a non electric vehicle.

BillLin likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Here in Illinois ( aka "The Bankrupt State" ) , we have lots of laws. Some of them are actually enforced.

BillLin likes this.