Hybrid newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Honda' started by boienn, Feb 27, 2016.

1. boienn

boienn New Member

Hello everyone im in here ebecause im a Hybrid newbie. I would like to purchase a used Honda years 2003-2005 maybe? Is what i have in mind. So im here on this forum with a few general question that im hoping can guid me in the right direction.

Here they are:

What years should I look out for?
    Are some years better than others? ( reliability, safety, mpg)

Battery replacement. How much mileage does each battery usually last?
    Do I need to get an entire battery replacement or can i have individual battery cells replaced?
    How much are the batterys?

Car recalls, What year had alot of recalls?

Im a little scared abou thte 'sticky' gas pedals, which ones ar ethe ones that get stuck?

Thanks in advance/

xcel likes this.
  2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Why are you drawn to the early Honda hybrids? I ask because they were good in their day but battery reliability has been a frustration for a lot of owners. Depending on your needs and what you want to spend we might be able to suggest good alternatives.

xcel likes this.
  3. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I agree with Tim. The battery packs on the earlier hybrids have proven to be a major reliability concern. While not at nice looking, you would be better off with a Prius of the same genre.

If you decide to go down the Civic Hybrid path, I would highly recommend you do more research on a Honda specific site to gather the information that you seek due to having a higher demographic of owners that will be able to answer your questions a little better than us.

Good luck in your quest for a hybrid.

xcel likes this.
  4. boienn

boienn New Member

Well the reason that I am going to the Honda hybrid route is because it looks to be the cheapest one out there and that's also the reason why I chose that year is for financial reasons. Are you guys suggesting that I just get a Toyota Prius instead and if so what years should I look for? but also what years had the most recalls for hybrids in general?

5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Third Generation Prius would be your best bet, 2010 on. The recalls were all software updates. They have one issue however that gets talked about on the Prius boards, is that the wheel hubs have a habit of going bad after 50K miles or so. The Toyota battery packs on the other hand are pretty much bullit proof and there are many gen 2's with over 250K miles on the clock with no battery issues. The Third Gens have an almost identical battery pack in them with many having 100K plus miles on them with zero issues also with their battery packs.

If it was me and I wanted a Honda I would go for a three or four year old Civic, 2012-2013 that was a non hybrid. Honda's are not known for reliability when it comes to their hybrid battery packs.

Prozac and BillLin like this.
  6. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Personally, if you are looking at a Honda Civic Hybrid due to fiscal restraints, I would take it off of your radar. As stated, their batteries are their weak point and cost a pretty penny to replace. You would be better picking up a regular Civic or even a Fit if you are set on getting a Honda. When hypermiled, they put up some impressive numbers. Numbers to the point that would make the premium of the Hybrid almost not worth it.

I am not trying to discourage you, I am just trying to provide you with the facts. I personally own a Honda hybrid in the form of a CR-Z. First, I picked it up for a song. Second, the next generation of batteries seem to be up for the task. If it still had the hybrid premium, I probably would not have purchased it. Again, not trying to discourage, but if you are looking for a commuter you might be better off picking up their non-hybrid version.

Jay and BillLin like this.
  7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

If money is tight I think the most important thing is reliability. A Corolla from about that time frame would be a really good bet, too. I rented a couple when I used to travel more for business and fuel economy never disappointed me. A Prius would obviously be more efficient but a Corolla is a simpler vehicle, and as the miles and years increase that can be a huge asset in the event that you do need to repair it.

BillLin likes this.
  8. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

There's a reason Honda hybrids of that era are cheap. Battery failures. Get a Ford or Toyota hybrid from the same era and you won't have battery issues.

BillLin likes this.