2016 Chevrolet Silverado Mild Hybrid?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 27, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] eAssist was a waste in Round I and II. Will it succeed in Round III?

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Feb. 25, 2016

2016 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab Mild Hybrid - $41,380 to start including $1,195 D&H. With its 5.3L V8 mated to an 8-Speed AT with a mild hybrid eAssist system, expect an EPA of 18/24 mpgUS city/highway which matches the direct injected 4.3L V6 with cylinder deactivation and continuously variable valve timing.

Soon up to 500 2016 Chevrolet Silverado’s will be offered with GMs latest iteration of eAssist. We have driven eAssist equipped GM vehicles going all the way back to the first generation 07 Saturn VUE plus version two in the retired 2014 Malibu and 2015 Buick LaCrosse. Each and every time, underwhelming efficiency improvements with higher prices have been the result.

Maybe this time will be different? The new mild-hybrid electrical system uses a 13 hp and 44 lb-ft. of torque induction electric motor, 24-cell, air-cooled 0.45 kWh LGChem Li-Ion pack similar to that but smaller than the upcoming Malibu Hybrid and software controls from the Volt team. The power inverter module is liquid cooled and moved under the hood.

The latest eAssist system enables Stop/Start, enhances the V8s cylinder deactivation capability to operate in 4-cylinder mode for longer periods, and provides regenerative braking, all resulting in improved efficiency. Yet the system increases curb weight by just 100 pounds and additional $500 over a RWD Silverado 1500 Crew Cab in 1LT trim. Only in California however.

GM stated their latest eAsssit delivers a 13 percent improvement in city fuel economy, up 2 mpg city and 1 mpg highway and combined over the non-eAssist Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L V8 and 8-speed AT.

With $2.50/gallon gasoline in California, a 20 vs 19 mpg combined rating – eAssist vs non- eAssist 16 Silverado – and the owner placing upwards of 15k miles on his or her truck each year, the fuel savings amount to 39 gallons or $100/year. As fuel costs go up, so does the yearly savings.

Chevrolet claims they can deliver the low-volume, affordably priced hybrid pickup that delivers up to 13 percent better fuel economy in city driving.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado with eAssist

[​IMG]

GMs latest eAssist iteration is more modular than the previous system, meaning it could be more easily used in FWD or RWD configurations.

My take, wait until it is proven as previous iterations have proved to be less than optimal for the early adopters. Actually, any adopters.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot like their previous Tahoe version that really didn't do much except raise the price.

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Only in California so nothing but compliance vehicle ?

xcel and 08EscapeHybrid like this.
  4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm only driving my truck 500-1500 miles/yr. At this rate I'll probably get another 18 years out of it.

xcel likes this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I think start/stop capability should be the baseline from which all models are derived. If eAssist gets GM there, then so be it, but the cost should be lower. Longer periods of cylinder deactivation for level highway driving may prove more valuable than the EPA estimates if the person behind the wheel is willing to take advantage, by keeping speeds down on the highway. I have high hopes for Wayne on this one. :)

08EscapeHybrid and xcel like this.
  6. RonD45

RonD45 Member

It uses a lower efficiency induction motor and a low cell count battery. The low cell count means the voltage is low and the currents are high. SO, lots of I squared R power loss. Definitely a feeble effort.

08EscapeHybrid, xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

The wild card here IMO is the extent to which e-assist will provide enough boost to cruise in 4 cyl mode under normal conditions and the extent to which battery recharging can capture some excess power when 8 cylinder mode kicks in fter 4 cylinder mode times out. 44 lb-ft seems roughly equivalent to 1 cylinder so more cruising seems possible.

xcel and 08EscapeHybrid like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

shouldn't they say CAN or MIGHT deliver up to 13 percent better ? I see every day how pickup drivers operate. Most of them will only be in 4-cylinder mode for the short time it takes them to get to the red light before me.

08EscapeHybrid, xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. BillLin

Hi Edwin, "up to" is already sufficient disclaimer, isn't it? :)

xcel likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

The key word there ( for me) is "better". I don't think the average cowboy will see ANY improvement. But kudos to the General for trying to appease the EPA.

11. BillLin

Thanks for the chuckle...

How could the fuel economy NOT be better if some of the usual idling behavior is thwarted?

12. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Edwin,

The should say that about all cars. I amazed at how many people own a Prius and claim that the EPA ratings are a farse.

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I hear that. That is , the people who actually LOOK at their fuel economy.
    Good point. I didn't think that it had an auto-stop feature , which will definitely help in traffic.

xcel likes this.
  14. BillLin

Yikes, I panicked for a moment. I thought I had made up the stop/start part. :D

15. xcel

Hi All:

While driving from San Diego State this morning, I saw this 20/23 mpg city/highway rated 2013 GMC Sierra Hybrid. I have never seen one in the wild before.

[​IMG]

GMC plans to sell just 200 of the all-new 2016s w/ eAssist in California so maybe we will see more?

Starting this spring, the new eAssist system will be available on the 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT crew cab 2WD model with the SLT Premium Plus package. For 2016, GMC expects to sell up to 200 Sierra eAssist models for California, and adjust volume as demand bares out.

Compared to a comparable Sierra 1500 with a 5.3L V8 mated to the 8-speed AT, the Sierra with eAssist offers an 18/24/20 mpg city/highway rating, a 2-mpg improvement on all three measures.

Wayne

#Rare #Cars and #Trucks of #Southern #California

16. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Well, all of my car shopping and research just went down the drain. My wife just got a job at the Equestrian Center on base. It might be time to get us back into a truck. I think that I will start with Ram and look at the EcoDiesels, but GM has some really nice looking trucks! Just waiting to see how the job works out.

17. xcel

Hi John:

So typical! And enjoy the cool search all over again. :)

Wayne

18. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

It will definitely be a longer process. I was looking at hybrids and settled between the Kia Optima and Lincoln MKZ, both used. The biggest dilemma was trying to figure out if the new added safety features were worth the extra coin. Now, it will have to be a balance between fuel economy and features. I just love the Ram side boxes!

19. xcel

Hi John:

One word and you know what's coming. EcoDiesel. :)

2014 RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel and Rambox

[​IMG]

Wayne

08EscapeHybrid likes this.
  20. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I've seen a fair amount of them here in the DC area. The prices on them used are insane though. They cost too much new for how little fuel they saved when new, and it seems that depreciation has yet to correct that.

xcel likes this.