G.E. to Phase Out CFL Bulbs

Discussion in 'Emissions' started by ALS, Feb 2, 2016.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a few years ago, the compact fluorescent light was the go-to choice for customers seeking an inexpensive, energy-efficient replacement for the standard incandescent bulb. But as the light quality of LEDs improved and their cost plummeted, manufacturers and retailers began shifting their efforts in that direction.

Now, the industrial giant General Electric is saying farewell to the compact fluorescent light, or CFL. The company said on Monday that it would stop making and selling the bulbs in the United States by the end of the year.

“Now is the right time to transition from CFL to LED,” said John Strainic, chief operating officer of consumer and conventional lighting at GE Lighting.

Full Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/b...ent/ge-to-phase-out-cfl-light-bulbs.html?_r=0

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Too bad because I'm not seeing the quality in LEDs. It seems like every time I turn around another one of mine (though none of them made by GE yet) is on its way out at just a fraction of its rated life. At $8-10 per bulb I've mostly lost interest. For the most part I've gone back to buying CFLs when those LEDs die, the only exception being when I see a new cost-effective LED hit the market that I think might be worth testing in a couple of fixtures.

08EscapeHybrid likes this.
  3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm in the same boat. I had some LED's, and I loved them... until they burned out. Cree replaced them for free, but when the replacements died as well, I just gave up and bought CFL's again.

4. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had any issues with the LED's I've bought for the house and work. I was replacing five or six CFLs a year at work and so far zero LED problems in either location. I rebulbed the entire house with GE CFLs in 2011 and I just had ONE burn out in the bathroom. Since I have no CFL spares laying around the house, I'm planning in the next week or so picking up a couple LED's for replacements for home. The three Cree LED's I've had for a year or so at home I've had zero issues. I swapped them out due to the lights where I have the LED's are in use the most.

I have three Cree 9.5W LED's in my office that are on 3,400 hours a year, bathroom has four Cree 9.5W bulbs with probably 2500 hours on them, and one that I use as a night light a 6W Cree unit, is on 5,300 hours a year and not one LED has burned out in over a year of use. I'm sold on LED's and as the CFL's at home die, they'll be replaced with LED's. It's not worth changing them out while they are still working with only a 4.5W savings per bulb.

5. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I had the Cree 3 way bulb. Apparently they have an issue when being used for extended periods of time in the bright setting. Turn them off, and they never go on again.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Were those in enclosed fixtures? LEDs (and CFLs too) don't like being installed where they can't reject their waste heat easily. I've had no problems with my $3-5 LEDs, so far.

Did GE ever actually manufacture CFLs in the USA, as the original post here implies? My GE CFLs admit "Made in China."

7. I just cleaned out the store of their clearance priced ge/wink WiFi connected bulbs. 60w equivalent $5 and 90w outdoor floods for $9.

All my recessed lighting is now led. The only ones I've had issues with are the first 4 Phillips brand. They still flicker and are noisy. All the Cree ones I bought a year or so ago are still good.

8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I bought LED bulbs for around $2 each at Lowes a few months back, and that sale price came back at least once. I do have many from when I started buying them for around $10 each a few years back. I haven't had any LED failures yet either, other than one mechanical failure due to a loosened bulb that took a tumble when I had construction workers in the house running air compressors. I didn't want that one on and I should have removed it at that time. Lesson learned. Now, there are a few empty can lights. Oh, and I'm moving away from dimmers so that I don't have to only buy the dimmable LED bulbs.

9. brick

Nope. My fixtures are mostly well-ventilated if not completely open. On average my CFLs are actually outlasting the LEDs, especially the Crees.

10. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

My Cree bulb that kept failing was in a normal table lamp, base down. After I had problems with that, I went back to CFL's.

11. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I have a few Cree, Luminus, and Ikea bulbs, and none have burned out yet. Surprisingly, I like the Ikea ones the best. They have no warranty and are not energy star rated, but the CRI (color accuracy) is better than the others. Most LEDs make skin look a little too yellow-green for my liking, so I'm fine with burning an extra few watts for improved color reproduction. Time will tell how well they hold up, but so far I'm liking them.

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

The one Cree LED I tried had a mild flicker to it. I swapped it for a Philips and that one has been fine. I'm puzzled by the apparent hit-or-miss quality, because CREE is the go-to name for flashlight LED's.

13. brick

Along those lines, I will say that I much prefer LEDs for color reproduction. My beard is alarmingly gray under any fluorescent light.

14. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmmm
    GE is in the business of making $$
    They make MUCH more on LEDs than on low markup CFLs
    It is just more price fixing-
    The big bulb manufacturers don't really have to compete-
    LEDs are 3x CFL and they DON'T seem to last longer
    They certainly wouldn't go into the LED business if those bulbs actually lasted the 10 years they claim
    Just like the GENERIC pharmaceuticals-they are effectively a monopoly via gentlemen's agreements
    and it is made in china QC
    or worse made in china adulterated medication/food stuffs

Yes I am a broken record-
    but GE is quitting the CFLs because they are lower profit-not because LEDs are better for consumers(nothing new in that-but it is much harder to set up a new bulb making corp now-so monopoly)-so no FREE MARKET-never has been of course

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Seems to me the LED's actually ARE better. Better color rendering, instant-on, no mercury hazard, they actually work outdoors in winter...

I have a bunch of cfl's stashed away, but I won't be buying more.

16. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

+1. It's nice to get full lumens right when you turn on the switch, instead of starting out at half brightness and ramping up to full light over the next 30 seconds. Especially in winter outdoors where that ramp-up time can be more like 30 minutes. I don't think I'll be buying any more CFLs.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

That's where 'ol incandescents rock. Still using them in a few lamps with shades that clip right on the bulb, and an older pit lamp. There's a more "abundant" quality to the light too, hard to explain. And it can warm you up, in a pinch.

18. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I still use some incandescents in my place. Mainly in my recessed cans in my kitche. I tried CFL's, but the Leviton touch sensitive dimmers did not play well with the CFL's(which were the dimmable kind). I don't know if LED's will work with them either, and i am a bit afraid of burning them out. I have these on a 4 way setup(A dimmer at 3 separate locations to turn them on/off and dim them), and the last thing i want to do is try to replace that setup, which is now 20 years old.
    I have a bunch of CFL's to use as spares for my other fixtures, so many that i may never need to buy another replacement. I may still try some LED's in a few locations, mainly outside and in my garage.

19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

I'm mainly driven by "cheap"
    and for the same lumens CFLs are much cheaper than LEDs.
    I'm happy incandescents are gone
    in NOLA-summer time(most of the year) they put out plenty of heat which the AC had to fight
    so glad the CFLs took over .In cold climates- different story some times of the year.

20. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Well, this thread was bearing on my mind. When I was in Home Depot today they had Philips 60w equivalent soft white LED bulbs on sale, (without checking my receipt again I think it was $3.50 for a 2 pack) so I picked up 2 packs. I also picked up a Philips LED 3-way bulb.

Here's my first impressions:

Color rendering is very good

Light dispersal is very good

Even though they claim to be 60w equivalent, they seem to be putting out the same amount of light as my 75w equivalent CFL's.

The 60w equivalents are very lightweight, but apparently durable as well. I accidentally dropped one while I was installing it in a ceiling fixture. It still worked with no apparent damage.

The 3 way bulb seems pretty heavy for its size, but does its job well.

As long as they have a decent lifespan, I'll be happy. If they die after a couple months like the CREE bulbs I tried earlier I will be very disappointed.

BillLin likes this.