2017 Chevrolet Bolt Powertrain Details

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 19, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] “This could be the first BEV that makes sense.”

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 11, 2016

2017 Chevrolet Bolt from the floor of the 2016 #NAIAS. $35k to start and 200+ mile range is only the beginning.

The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV is the epitome of an affordable and longer range BEV. With a $35k price tag to start not including incentives, it may still be a bit out of the mainstream but comes closest to fulfilling an electrified future for the masses.

Here are some of the drivetrains details from GM itself.

Like most BEVs on the road, the Bolt EV’s drive system uses a single high capacity electric motor that is both powerful.

The engineering team designed the Bolt EV’s electric motor with an offset gear and shaft configuration tailored to meet efficiency and performance targets. The motor is capable of producing up to 266 lb.-ft. of torque and 200 hp of power. Combined with a 7.05:1 final drive ratio, it helps propel the Bolt EV from 0 to 60 mph in less than seven seconds.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt

[​IMG]
    Driven on-stage by GM’s Chairman and CEO, Mary Barra and Mark Reuss, Exec. VP, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain.​

Power delivery is controlled by Chevrolet’s first Electronic “Precision Shift” system. This shift and park-by-wire system sends electronic signals to the Bolt’s drive unit to manage feel and delivery of power and torque, based on drive mode selection and accelerator inputs. A by-wire shifter requires less packaging space than a traditional mechanical shifter, resulting in more interior space and improved interior layout.

From the show floor:
    2017 Chevrolet Cruze hatch

[​IMG]

60 kWh Battery System

LG Electronics developed an all-new cell and battery pack to offer more than 200 miles of range.

Preliminary specifications:
    • 60 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
    • 288 lithium ion cells
    • Five sections
    • 10 modules
    • 96 cell groups – three cells per group
    • 960 lbs. (435 kg) total weight
    All told, 160 kW of peak power and 60 kWh of energy.

The battery uses active thermal conditioning to keep the battery operating at its optimum temperature. The Bolt BEV battery will be covered by an 8-year/ 100,000 mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty.

Inside the pack which spans the entire floor, from the front foot well to back of the rear seat – is a new cell design and chemistry. The nickel-rich Li-Ion chemistry provides improved thermal operating performance over other chemistries, which requires a smaller active cooling system for more efficient packaging. The chemistry allows the Bolt EV to maintain peak performance in varying climates and driver demands.

The cells each measures in at only 3.9 ins. high and 13.1 ins. wide providing improved packaging underfloor. The lower profile cell design enabled the vehicle structure team to maximize interior space.

The battery system is mated to a standard equipment 7.2 kW onboard charger for regular overnight charging from a Level2 charger. A typical commute of 50 miles can be recharged in less than two hours from the same Level2. The Bolt EV also features an optional Level3 Fast DC Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector that can charge up to 90 miles of range in just 30 minutes. Outside temperatures may affect charging times.

Regen System Provides One-Pedal Driving

Regenerative braking increases range a bit and the Bolt EV includes a new regenerative braking system that has the ability to provide one pedal driving. I am not a fan as it is too aggressive as experienced in some of BMWs first systems but some like it. Fortunately owners will have a choice.

When operating the Bolt EV in “Low” mode, or by holding the Regen on Demand paddle located on the back of the steering wheel, the driver can bring the vehicle to a complete stop under most circumstances by simply lifting their foot off the accelerator, although the system does not relieve the need to use the brake pedal altogether.

Operating the Bolt EV in “Drive” mode and not pulling the paddle while decelerating delivers a driving experience where usage of the brake pedal is required to stop.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt Specifications

Body style/driveline: FWD, 5-passenger, 5-door all-electric CUV
    Construction: Steel and Aluminum
    Key competitors: Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, Ford Focus Electric, Kia Soul EV, VW eGolf Mercedes-Benz B-Class
    Manufactured: Orion Township, Mich.
    Battery manufacturing location: Incheon, South Korea
    Motor and drive unit manufacturing location: Incheon, South Korea

Battery System

Type: Rechargeable energy storage system comprising multiple linked modules
    Volume/case: 10.0 cu. ft.
    Mass (lb.): 960 lb.
    Battery chemistry: Li-Ion
    Thermal system: Liquid active thermal control
    Cells: 288
    Electric driving range: 200+ miles (GM estimate pending final tests)
    Energy: 60 kWh
    Warranty: 8 years/100,000 miles

Electric Drive

Type: Single motor and gearset
    Motor: Permanent magnetic drive motor
    Power: 200 hp/150 kW
    Torque: (lb-ft ): 266 lb. ft.
    Final drive ratio: 7.05:1

Charging Times:

Level1 120 V: 60 hours
    Level2 240 V:
    50 miles of range in less than 2 hrs.
    9 hours from a 6.6 kWh Charger
    17 hours from a 3.6 kWh Charger
    Level3 480V SAE Combo Fast DC Charge:
    90 miles in 30 minutes

Approximately 1.5 hours from flat to full

Performance

Top speed (mph): 91 mph
    0-30 mph: 2.9s at 75% SoC
    0-60 mph: < 7 seconds

Chassis/Suspension

Front: Independent strut front with solid stabilizer
    Rear: Torsion beam
    Four-channel ABS
    Traction control
    StabiliTrak
    Drag control

Steering type: EPS
    Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.91 revolutions
    Turning diameter, curb-to-curb (ft.): 35.4
    Steering ratio: 16.8 :1

Brakes

Type: 4 wheel ABS
    Brake rotor diameter front/rear (in): 10.9/10.4
    Wheels/Tires: Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 all-season on 17in x 6.5J cast aluminum alloys

Dimensions

Exterior

Wheelbase (in.): 102.4
    Overall length (in.): 164.0
    Overall width (in.): 69.5
    Track width front (in.): 59.1
    Track width rear (in.): 59.1
    Height (in.): 62.8
    Front overhang (in.): 32.9
    Rear overhang (in.): 28.7

Interior

Seating capacity (front / rear): 2/3
    Headroom 1st/2nd row (in.): 39.7/37.9
    Shoulder room 1st/2nd row (in.): 54.6/52.8
    Hip room 1st/2nd row (in.): 51.6/50.8
    Legroom 1st/2nd row (in.): 41.6/36.5
    Cargo volume (cu ft.): 16.9 behind rear seat
    Passenger volume (cu ft.): 94.4

Capacities

Curb weight (lb.): 3580
    Heating cooling (qt.): Heating loop 1.8L
    Battery pack cooling (qt.): 7.3 (RESS cooling loop total coolant volume)
    Power electronics cooling (qt.): 4.1 (PE & DU cooling loop total coolant volume)
    Drive unit fluid (qt.): 3.0

Is it the first BEV that make sense? With costs coming down, it may be the car that brings us closer to an all-electric fleet. The LEAF moved the needle. The Bolt will move the needle even further albeit $35k for a B/C segment is still hard to sell. By 2020, a PHEV drivetrain based off the Bolt’s capabilities could move GMs entire fleet efficiency as evidenced by the upcoming 48/45 2017 Malibu Hybrid. Just imagine a Sonic, Cruze, Impala and even their CUVs using a similar drivetrain.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I think that it is a great looking car that is finally practical for most commuters. If this was out when I was looking it would most likely be in my driveway. Especially considering we always have two cars.

xcel likes this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Too bad it's not available to most. I like it a lot.

xcel likes this.
  4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

The Bolt EV will be sold in all 50 states.

My only disappointment is the regen scheme not including a default free wheel coasting mode. I could live with the paddle only for regen, but integrating regen on the brake pedal would be best.

xcel likes this.
  5. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

Sounds Impressive. Wayne, you need to test drive it for us! :)

xcel likes this.
  6. NeilBlanchard

Drag coefficient is reported to be 0.312, with the frontal area being 25.8 sq ft. That makes the CdA 8.05 sq ft.

xcel likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

200+ miles range from 60 kWh usable sounds like it has some efficiency gains somewhere?

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

With the spec 215 mile Tesla Model 3 reveal last Thursday, the Bolt looks more like a tarted up $35,000 all-electric Sonic appliance without the looks or the performance.

Today Chevrolet went on the offensive stating the Bolt will have a bit more range than 200 miles.

Not much else to add but at $35k, it is stillborn with the Tesla Model3 hanging over its head.

Wayne

9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

But Wayne, it has a HATCH! I'd still give the Bolt a look-over... I'd more likely stick with plug-ins, though. If I were single, I'd also pick up a $10k Leaf for everyday use.

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi Bill:

How quickly my opinion has changed... The Bolt's exterior/interior is spartan by comparison. Kind of like the difference between a quicker, better looking Audi that has a much more robust refueling network vs. driving a Chevrolet Sonic for the same price.

One is not like the other and I am not that big of a fan of Tesla either.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That's okay, Wayne. I've been seeing similar comparisons between the two upcoming ~200 mile EVs. With similar pricing and range, would you/one go for a car made by a company known for nice things or one made by a company that's been in business a long time but makes things as inexpensively as they can? I believe suspension was an area they touched upon, as well as the interior.

I suspect the general is expecting to make money with their Bolt even at the lower entry points whereas Tesla needs to keep the cars sold more highly accessorized to maintain margin. Tesla will push the big(ger) battery and make sure the buyer pays for the self-driving tech that's already included.

xcel likes this.
  12. NeilBlanchard

The Bolt EV is nearly as quick: ~7s 0-60MPH vs a bit under 6s.

The Bolt EV is a hatchback, and it will seat 4 tall people more comfortably, in all likelihood. So, for my family, the Bolt EV is probably a better fit, and more practical. I am curious about how each does regen, and things like heated seats and direct heating defrosters, etc.

The Model ☰ has Supercharger hardware - so at worst, you can pay to use the Supercharger network. The Bolt EV has optional CCS, which is nice, but not nearly as nice as Supercharging.

So, it seems like the Bolt EV will be better for some as a daily driver, who need to carry large things, and the Model ☰ will be a better driver's car, and a better way to go on longer trips.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  13. NeilBlanchard

Now that we know the specs - the Bolt EV is ~6.5s 0-60MPH (quicker than the Camaro?), and the base Model 3 is 5.6s 0-60MPH and 5.1s for the long range version.

It turns out the Model 3 has more rear headroom than the Model S - which is a very pleasant surprise. We will still be getting a Bolt EV Premier, probably in September.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  14. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Model 3 exterior looks good but I don't like that interior at all. Couldn't be more minimalistic with just a center big screen and nothing else. Probably very cheap to produce this way. The other issue is long wait until end of next year if you order now. But the extra range option is great.

xcel likes this.