2017 Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback

Discussion in 'GM' started by xcel, Jan 7, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Hatch – The European centric standard is once again coming to America.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 7, 2015

GM released details on yet another desirable car within its vast lineup that should interest many here. Chevrolet is introducing the 2017 Cruze Hatchback prior to its official debut at the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit next week.

From the release, the all-new Chevrolet Cruze hatchback features all of the technologies and driving dynamics of the all-new 2016 Cruze sedan but with of course an all-new form factor that American’s have shunned in the past but Europeans absolutely love.

And a looker it is too!

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Hatch

[​IMG]

The Cruze Hatch rides on the same 106.3-inch wheelbase as the sedan but features a unique roof and rear-end structure – including wraparound taillamps and an integrated spoiler at the top of the hatch. Enough of a change that there is now 22.7 cu. ft of std. cargo space behind the rear seat and 47.2 cu. ft. with the seats folded down. That is compact CUV territory and for hopefully a lot less expense.

[​IMG]

More rigid, much lighter and heavily tuned for a better driving experience than ever before. It is more than 200 pounds lighter than the previous-gen due to a body structure that is 100 pounds lighter and an engine that’s 44 pounds lighter. Aluminum is used in the strut and torsion beam suspension systems to optimize weight and handling characteristics.

Interior

The 2016 Cruze and 2017 Cruze hatch are going to be much larger than the B-segment Focus. GM states it is larger than the current 2016 Elantra but that remains to be seen. In other words, Interior volume specs and actual layout remain TBD.

Available features include a heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, Athens leather-appointed seating surfaces, true French seams and halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting.

[​IMG]

Drivetrain

The standard Cruze includes a 153 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque 1.4L direct injected turbo with Stop/Start is mated to a standard 6-speed MT or available six-speed AT. I am not sure if the manual will be available with the hatch yet.

The 1.4L turbo features an aluminum cylinder block and head. Reduced friction, including low-friction piston rings, a low-friction camshaft drive and a low-friction oil pump also help improve its efficiency.

GM says that the new turbocharged engine is expected to deliver a 0 to 60 time of 8 seconds. GM is estimating a 40 mpg highway with the AT on the sedan so maybe 38 or 39 with the hatch?

The 2017 Cruze Hatch will be offered in LT, Premier and RS trims.

Infotainment

Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto via the MyLink radio systems is the one key infotainment feature that makes the Cruze noteworthy whereas the available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot is certainly a plus for some.

Not to jump on either Audi, BMW or GM for offering AT&T 4G LTE but it would be best that the consumer upgrade their own smartphone plan for a lot more capability including Wi-Fi Hotspot – std. on T-Mobile – then to get into a payment plan for the 3GBs or whatever it is on top of your new car payment. This is a profit center, not a free feature by any means.

Safety

Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Park Assist are also available.

Available Teen Driver feature helps support safe driving habits and offers driving statistics for parents.

GM is scheduling the Cruze Hatch to reach Chevrolet dealership showrooms this fall.

2. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Looks like my 2014 Ford Focus hatch, (not a bad thing IMO) wish LED tail lights.

xcel likes this.
  3. Looks nice and they almost give away Cruzes

xcel likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This looks good.

xcel likes this.
  5. wxman

wxman Well-Known Member

Wayne,

Any word on the 1.6 liter turbo-diesel that's supposed to be introduced with the 2017 Cruze? Wondering if the VW TDI issue scared GM away from small diesels.

xcel likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi Wxman:

Last I spoke with the GM PR folks at the LAAS in November, the 2017 Cruze TD was still on track for early next year. That TD in this hatch would make for one hell of a combo. 10-airbags, the safety features, more than the Prius' cargo volume... And it looks cool too! :)

Wayne

wxman and e90diesel like this.
  7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That might be worth checking out. GM has had a habit of subpar rear legroom in their cars recently, I'm hoping that this one will be an improvement.

xcel likes this.
  8. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Reminds of a Mazda 3 from the rear.

xcel likes this.
  9. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Looks like a very handsome car, it's a great evolution for them.

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

Just two years after the Cruze hatch intro, Chevrolet has refreshed it and the sedan for the 2019 MY. While the Ohio Plant is experiencing temp layoffs due to lack of demand, the General continues to update this very important product in this hotly contested segment.

2019 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan and Hatch

[​IMG]

2019 Chevrolet Cruze Refresh

The 2019 Cruze hatch and sedan's front fascia and grilles are all-new. The top level Premier trim sees the dual-element taillamps with LED accent lighting.

Additional updates

New Chevrolet Infotainment 3 running on the std. 7-inch diagonal color touchscreen radio
    Remote start and auto climate standard on LT and Premier trims
    New wheel designs
    Black window moldings, bowtie emblems and 17-inch (available 18-inch) machined wheels for Cruze’s RS package
    Umber interior color <-- I have no idea?

The 2019 Chevrolet Cruze goes on sale later this year in sedan and hatch models, with 1.4L turbo and available 1.6L turbo-diesel I4s. It also features 4G LTE connectivity and a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (with limited service trial)

In 2017 — the Cruze hatch's first full year of production — it accounted for 20 percent of total Cruze retail sales.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I found the AT&T based service useful in one instance in a backwoods part of Massachusetts where my T-Mobile did not reach.

xcel likes this.
  12. I use the hot spot in the truck a lot.

One time going camping with a group, I plugged a range extender into the 110 outlet in the truck. All the kids in both my truck and the mini van following had wifi for the trip. #firstworldproblems geez, i used to have to count out of state license plates on road trips.

xcel and BillLin like this.