2016 Toyota Prius Review

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by xcel, Jan 7, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

From LAX, today's hat of the day belongs to Toyota. In particular, the all-new 4th Gen 2016 Toyota Prius which is hopefully waiting for me on the other side of this journey.

[​IMG]

We have seen it exceed triple digit mpg on the highway and city and when pushed, it will offer stupid levels of pump skipping goodness. Enough so that I am leaning toward it making the plug irrelevant. While those short lead drives were completed in great Southern California conditions two months back, I am hoping to detail the fall off in really poor cold and wintery conditions that have enveloped the upper Midwest and in particular, Chicago over the last few days.

From 01:00 am onwards, this could turn out to be a very interesting first morning with the premiere fuel saver...

Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

Besides my flight leaving LAX an hour late with the hour behind arrival at Midway in Chicago it sort of went downhill from there. Meaning I got to the car by 02:15 am.

I picked up the keys and as soon as I pulled out I heard a scrape up front. At every bump I heard it again. With every right turn I heard it. As speeds picked up above 50 mph, a low pitch warbling sound was coming from the same area. Ah oh.

[​IMG]

I stopped at an accident site pull off in downtown Chicago to inspect the car. And here is what I found. :(

[​IMG]
    A cracked lower drivers side front fascia and underneath, an aero panel had been ripped out.​

From the low Prius/Sears Tower position pic - first pic, I saw what looked like wiring hanging from the passenger side under body. Here is what that was.

[​IMG]
    A stalk of some kind jammed in a gap in the unerbody chassis on the passenger side.​

With that, I sent some e-mails to the Press Fleet handler with these pics and said I will have another look in the morning. I would hate to give this pre-production prototype Prius up because of some minor busted body and under body panels. If I get permission, I will saws-all that lower panel off and pull that stalk out of the other side.

Despite all of this and not really trying with highway speeds of 50 to 60 mph in 35 to 40 degree temps, she still blew through 70 mpg like she was sitting still. That extra 3.5 mpg came from the 7-miles off the Interstate when heading to my final destination early this morning.

[​IMG]
    73.5 mpg indicated - 74.2 mpg actual for this mornings 71 mile drive.​

Wayne

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's really decent of Toyota to correct that fcd issue.

I have noticed chunks of ice on the road in the last few days , most likely falling off the roof of semi-trailers. These are as hard as rock and some of them 5-6". Modern cars with very little ground clearance and lots of plastic underneath are vulnerable.

xcel likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi Edwin:

It sure is! :)

I spoke with the Press Fleet Handler a few minutes ago. The damage was caused by the previous journalist and they cut away some of that panel so it would not fall back down. It was not enough. Since the car is a pre-production prototype and scheduled to go to the crusher in just over a week, he said go ahead and cut it out.

Wayne

5. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

The crusher? Ouch. I hope they recycle everything that is not proprietary.

xcel likes this.
  6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Wayne looks like Toyota for the 2016 Prius made the mpg readout accurate. Our 2010 Prius is always over stating
    the mpg computer readout. In winter more than summer. Last fill up the computer stated 51 mpg and actual
    was like 47 mpg calculated by miles driven divided by gallons of gas used. We now have 135,000 miles on her
    and Toyota never made an issue of it to correct it, even with later Prius models as far as I know.

Also thanks for your write up on the 2016 Prius.

xcel likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Alster , my 2015 Prius shows about 7% more MPG than actual. Kinda sucks , but a calibrated Scangauge will show a much more accurate reading.

xcel likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wayne , do you think that cutting out the damaged part will affect the aerodynamics a lot ?

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi Rich:

I am not sure of the entire process but I bet they pull the pack and electronics for special recycling treatment and let the car get crushed and chopped into little bits and pieces for the next 2017 new car from name your OEM here.

Alster, one of my biggest gripes with our 13 PHEV and my parents 12 v. You cannot believe how pleased I am that Toyota did not play that game with the 2016 prototypes we have driven. When the consumer OEM version of the 2016 Prius arrives, I will perform another full calibration drive just to make sure but given the efficiency of the 4th generation, there really is no need to screw around with programming in an offset.

I despise OEMs that do it and Toyota was not the only one. Nissan from 2013 - 2014 and VW in 15 were doing it too. Nissan stopped doing that for the 15s and 16s and VW's 2016 Passat TSI came right in.

Edwin, it will but not much. There will just be a big empty hole in the lower drivers side fascia is all. :)

Wayne

10. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

On the plus side, it'll be lighter... :)

xcel likes this.
  11. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

This should be interesting! I'll be really interested in what you make of the driver ergos after more extensive time behind the wheel.

xcel likes this.
  12. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Any way to tack or tie it back up in roughly its proper position, to minimize the mpg hit?

xcel likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

:eek:Aaack:eek:

xcel likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi Tim:

This is the 54/50 mpg rated non-Eco with the NiMH pack so I cannot do much of a comparison with the 58/53 mpg rated ECO-II I drove in Southern Calif. two months back. I was really hoping to create our first Speed vs FE with the 60 degree temps and overlay of the 30 degree temp results. Soon to be 20 soon to be 10 degree temps.

Ergo is still a little problematic. A little more seat track and wheel extension would make it right.

RedylC94, I was working on that but the largest zip ties I could fit through the small OEM openings did not look stable enough for me to drive this beauty to the 2016 NAIAS in Detroit and back on Sunday through Tuesday.

Mendel, indeed!

It is not often when you get to wrench on and then take a sawzall to a priceless prototype like this 2016 Toyota Prius-II.

The reason? The last Journalist was driving it off-road given the stalks I pulled out of the chassis and broke some "$**t".

It is scheduled for the crusher in just over a week so I was allowed to pull the broken parts off and saw away what could not be pulled properly.

2016 Toyota Prius II

[​IMG]
    The pieces.

[​IMG]
    The aftermath.​

The aerodynamics will never be the same. ;)

Wayne

RichXKU likes this.
  15. xcel

Hi All:

About the prototype. If you look closer at the pic open hole, consider the weld quality on the back end of the crushable aluminum or polished steel structural member. On the OEMs that will arrive in dealership showrooms at any time, I can almost bet that member looks completely different or if it has the same dimensions, would not be hand welded like this one is. It would cost to much and the quality does not match up to a machine welded part.

A prototype could have hundreds of these kinds of hand built, welded, screwed, adhesive joined junctions and structures that would never make it past a QC inspector but for testing purposes, is perfectly fine.

Wayne

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. xcel

Hi All:

I was having a little fun with the 2016 Toyota Prius in heavy snow this afternoon before the pilgrimage to Detroit tomorrow. :)

2016 Toyota Prius -II in Snow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

17. xcel

Hi All:

A lot of neat stuff and this is the stripper base 2016 Prius II non-Eco with the NiMH pack.

2016 Prius II Features and Highlights

[​IMG]

This pic tries to show how much more you can see out of the rear view mirror. Just a better view vs. the 2nd and our 3rd gen.

[​IMG]

Again this is the stripper base II non-Eco. Notice the backlit AND Auto Up/Down on all 4 windows and lockout controls.

[​IMG]
    Base II with left side wheel backlit audio, phone, voice control and trip functions.​

[​IMG]
    Base II with right side wheel selection toggle control.​

[​IMG]
    Base II with small ambient lighting LED, backlit map lighting controls and a sunglass holder!​

[​IMG]

Another efficiency metric: 65.5 mpg indicated, 66.1 mpg actual over 40+ miles - 25 highway/15 city/suburban - during a snowstorm with one three hour stop and two 30-minute stops.

A few more details.

Either Toyota has programmed their EPS system with an on-center feel or they have finally added some caster angle to provide it. Probably a bit of both but it steers much better than the 3rd gen.

Std. LEDs cut through snow better than HIDs and especially halogens. In addition, these are std. on the stipper base II model. Many luxury marques charge over a thousand $s for LED Hi/Low beams. A great value proposition for sure.

Again the stripper IIs base infotainment system picked up both androids via BT without issue, SMS text messages are received with audio read back, canned message reply’s via wheel controls and the audio actually sounds ok. This 4th gen 2016 Toyota Prius has moved far ahead of both the 2nd and 3rd gen infotainment systems.

Ergonomics? Let me comment after a 250+ mile drive to James home before heading to the 2016 NAIAS Detroit Auto Show Press Days tomorrow. I think there may still be a bit of a problem with short seat bottom, not enough seat track and wheel extension but let me get a few more miles under my belt in challenging wintry conditions tomorrow.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Looks like I've found my next baby!

xcel and BillLin like this.
  19. alster

alster Well-Known Member

66 mpg in winter weather conditions is unheard of. I doubt even a 50cc motor scooter could obtain that.
    Great job Wayne. Its nice to read a review where the driver actually discloses the mpg they received during
    their review of a vehicle. It is not a true review, in my opinion, when the driver reviews and test drives
    a vehicle that the main purpose for the buyer is the mpg it obtains and the driver fails to disclose the
    mpg they got during their test review.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  20. xcel

#NAIAS2016

Hi All:

I did my best in the good ship called the 2016 Gen 4 Toyota Prius II but in the end, the 52 mpg rated super ship battled 225 miles of blizzards, bitter cold temps, and tire pressures that are now 6 psi below placard while heading to the Detroit Auto Show and back. It was only a part of the reason for its demise.

I apologize to the entire Prius family that I did not perform to the best of my abilities. :(

Wayne FB_IMG_1452703106476.jpg

BillLin likes this.