Hyundai’s IONIQ HEV, PHEV and BEV Preview

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Dec 25, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] 3 distinct drivetrains, one very distinct platform.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 16, 2015

Interior rendering of the Hyundai IONIQ.

Hyundai’s moniker, “New Thinking, New Possibilities” is alive and well at the hard charging Korean automaker.

In late October, Hyundai revealed a piece to the long rumored Prius/Volt fighter puzzle in the form of an all-new or significantly reworked drivetrain based on the 1.6L GDI. I have come to know and admire the 1.6L in both the Sonata ECO and Tucson CUV, albeit both equipped with turbos.

The $50 Hyundai Sonata ECO Challenge: Planes, Trains, Automobiles and Rockets!

At the company’s International Powertrain Conference, Hyundai released details on its all-new and highly atkinsonized 1.6L GDI engine and an advanced front-wheel drive 8-speed automatic transmission (AT). The 8-speed AT is meant for future midsize vehicles on up however.

1.6L GDI Details

Hyundai’s new 1.6L GDI is designed to boost power, performance and fuel efficiency while driving down production costs and CO2 emissions in the growing mid-class hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) segments.

Arriving in Korea in January and markets around the globe through Spring, the new engine in an all-new dedicated platform called IONIQ is an Atkinsonized I4 with cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and a long stroke specification.

Within the efficiency increasing and torque reducing late valve closing Atkinson cycle, an intake oil control valve (OCV) integrated with the continuous variable valve timing (CVVT) operates to simplify oil flow. The CVVT phasing angle has also been extended for faster CVVT response.

The EGR system helps to recirculate exhaust gases back into the cylinder and burns them again. The new HEV engine alone delivers a 3 percent gain in fuel economy through three stages: gas extracted upstream ensures more than 20 percent EGR rate, the EGR cooler delivers a cooling efficiency of 98 percent and the single stage gear EGR valve results in a 56.9 millisecond response time. A specially designed straight intake port increases the tumble flow of the EGR gas to allow fast combustion to further aid economy and boost power output.

Like many of the VW/Audi 3.0L TDIs, Hyundai is now using two different temperature cooling loops by splitting the thermostat cooling temperatures of the cylinder block (221 degrees F) and head (190 degrees F). These two will reduce both friction and knock by allowing a higher temperature coolant in the block. The cylinder block heats up quickly for lower friction and a more efficient run, while the cylinder head operates at moderately low temperatures to suppress knock tendency with higher compression ratios for even better overall fuel economy.

The new engine also features a six-hole laser-drilled GDI injector supplied by mid-pressure fuel supply system of 2,900 psi allowing more efficient combustion and reduced emissions.

2017 Hyundai 1.6L GDI Introduction

[​IMG]

Thermal Efficiency - Where you will be wowed!

The new 1.6L GDI engine has a THERMAL EFFICIENCY of 40 PERCENT. This is equivalent to some previous generation turbo diesels and matches the all-new and first for a mass produced gas engine 2016 Toyota Prius’ 40 percent mark!

On the power front, the 104 hp and 108 lb-ft. of torque may seem underwhelming at first but remember, this drivetrain will probably be mated to Hyundai’s excellent second generation HEV/PHEV electric powertrain - 51 hp from 1,770 to 2,000 rpm and 151 lb-ft from 0 to 1,770 rpm - from the all-new 2016 Sonata HEV and PHEV-27.

Together we can expect the combination to provide a 142 to 145 hp total system out which is perfect for a C-segment Hybrid based off the upcoming 2017 Hyundai Elantra chassis but with the all-new super slick IONIQ body.

Then again, rumors of a 1.4L GDI have been floating around for a while so maybe the 1.6L is a smokescreen for something else?

Hyundai Introduces the IONIQ

2017 Hyundai IONIQ

[​IMG]

In early December, Hyundai released the first renderings and basic descriptions of the IONIQ, the brands upcoming advanced, alternative-fuel C-Segment and the first car to offer a choice of three electrified powertrains. Ford’s C-MAX with diesel and gasoline variants in Europe and HEV/PHEV variants offered here in the North America notwithstanding.

Hyundai plans to introduce shortly the three powertrain variants as an HEV, PHEV and BEV in a single super slick body type.

The Global launch set for January 2016 in Korea, followed by Geneva and New York auto shows, an important step as Hyundai Motor works to be global green car market leader

Hyundai’s IONIQ is first and foremost a world class Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid with Gen4 Prius’ and Gen 2 Volt's targeted levels of efficiency in a fun to drive and great looking HEV/PHEV vehicle to own and drive.

An ion is an electrically charged atom or group of atoms formed by the loss or gain of one or more electrons,. This links the car’s combination of electrified powertrains. The second part of the name references the unique offering it brings to the Hyundai range, demonstrating the brand’s continuing environmental commitment. Finally, the Q is depicted in the car’s logo as a visual breakthrough, acknowledging the fresh new approach of this advanced, low-emission model pushing beyond the brands signature Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design while not abandoning it.

The IONIQ chassis is optimized to deliver responsive handling no matter the powertrain configuration.

As a BEV, the IONIQ is powered by a large capacity, ultra-efficient Li-Ion battery. With the sub-compact Chevrolet Bolt targeting 200 miles of All-Electric Range (AER), I bet the IONIQ will be targeting at least 225 to 250 miles. Just a guess as that is the way the Koreans work.

On the PHEV front, I wild guess from the Sonata PHEV-27 at 27-miles of all-electric range goodness, the IONIQ PHEV will incorporate a pack conducive to 35 to 40 miles. Maybe a solid 50-miles of AER given the Volt is surely in Hyundai's gun sights? Just a WAG but a good one at that.

On the Hybrid front, the all-new 2016 Prius really moved the efficiency bar. I am not sure the all-new IONIQ HEV will be able to crack the 58/53 mpgUS rating of the II-Eco but we might see a 55/50 mpgUS city/highway rating for an even more affordable price. Another WAG of course but a solid one.

All three IONIQ’s will be introduced next month in Korea and afterwards in both Geneva and New York in March.

From Jay's Hyundai IONIQ story and links, here are the spy shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More on Hyundai’s Prius/Volt fighting IONIQ

While the final exterior advert spy shots were seen on YaHoo, Hyundai released some renderings of its all-new IONIQ . It has curb appeal in spades while offering what we are guessing to be a Cd of just 0.23 besting the already best in the world 2016 Sonata Hybrids 0.24 Cd.

With a sleek, coupe-like silhouette the eye-catching design is a match for any car let alone any car being offered as an environmental leader.

Simple contours minimize wind resistance and assist the efficient management of airflow around the exterior.

At the front, familiar Hyundai design themes are evident notably the signature hexagonal grille, which is also topped by an attractive gloss-black element that extends outwards to meet distinctive new headlamps featuring integrated ‘C’-position lights. Notice how the all-new edgey LED DRL and LED Projectors within the wraparound lenses tie into the grille with a piano black like plastic insert defining the latest Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design direction.

Inside the IONIQ is said to incorporate a modern elegant and clutter-free theme with a logical layout of controls. Eco-friendly materials abound without making it to plasticy.

2017 Hyundai IONIQ Rendering

[​IMG]

The world will be following this one closer than ever as the Hyundai brand continues to provide value with a modern approach. This one called IONIQ however could break the mold by providing segment leading efficiency, varied alternative choices wrapped in a car we would all love to own and drive.

If that mold was broken, others will have to answer or be left in Hyundai's wake.

I am a huge 4th gen Prius fan that is also a huge Hyundai fan. Even a fan of the all-new second generation Volt. Imagine if the best of all three worlds were provided? Pretty big if but what if? I cannot wait to find out. :)

rhwinger, BillLin and Jay like this.
  2. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

hybrids and all electric designs are sensitive to curb weight...form and size wise the IONIQ looks more like a Malibu, Volt, or Tesla - that is - it has the form of a highway cruiser.

xcel likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write-up, Wayne. I'm really excited about the Ioniq. It takes some of the disappointment away that Honda didn't give us a 2-motor hybrid Civic this year. I like the gen IV Prius also, but the styling leaves me cold (actually it leaves me frozen!). Going by the spy shots and silhouette (which isn't much to go by), I already like the styling of the Ioniq better than the IV gen Prius. Can't wait for the reveal in Jan and the specs.

xcel likes this.
  4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We have both a 2010 Prius and a 2014 Volt. The Volt only has 35,000 miles but the Prius has nearly 135,000 miles. So we are looking at getting another vehicle to replace
    the Prius. Maybe its just me but the 2016 Prius looks lousy in my opinion. Why didn't Toyota use the Auris model station wagon for the new 2016 hybrid drive train. Sure would have looked better. Now with Hyundai having a Elantra model next year in hybrid mode it may be worth taking a look at.

Also for those who believe that hybrid batteries don't last long. Our Prius still gets 45 mpg in winter and 55 mpg in summer, calculated, the mpg computer is off by 3 miles over reading. The battery appears to have as much range now after 6 1/2 years as when new.

xcel likes this.
  5. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

I would hope that it would beat Prius pricing as is traditional with Hyundai value against Toyota and Honda. I will definitely be test driving this one when available, just to do it.

xcel likes this.
  6. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Looks way better than the new Prius.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think you answered your own question. Station. Wagon. Also , doesn't Toyota already sell the non-hybrid Auris here as a Scion ? No one expects any Scion to post huge sales numbers.

That said , the 16 Prius didn't really NEED to look as goofy as it does.

And THAT said , it's still a great car.

xcel likes this.
  8. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

I'm hearing that it will not be 8-AT but 6 speed DCT. Not really the simplest and cheapest solution, more in line with Golf GTE or Audi e-tron.

xcel likes this.
  9. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Correct - a six speed DCT far closer in execution to the 7-speed used in the Sonata/Tucson Eco than the earlier 6-speed used in the Veloster.

The 8-speed seen in the press release is a front-drive transaxle for V6 engines, so don't expect to see it in smaller cars but rather in the Azera and probably V6 SantaFe, and then not long after in Kia's Sorento, Sedona, Cadenza V6 models. It is more of an upgrade from the A6LF2 and A6LF3 6-speed for the thirstier engines than an all out replacement of all 6-speed automatics.

xcel likes this.
  10. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I personally love the Gen 4 Prius in person. I like the edgy look very much compared to the boring styling of cars. Always when something radical happens some people shun it then embrace is after time.

Let's see how Hyundai does! My main concern is reliability for 500k miles lol. I have a long way to go in my Prius C to hit that!

xcel likes this.
  11. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

I actually like the look of my 3rd gen exterior design over the newer 4th gen design but the 4th gen Prius power plant, drive train design and weight distribution is a notch better than the 3rd gen. The 4th gen Prius should handle the sharp turns, stop better, and its fuel efficiency in cold driving temperatures should be be better. IMHO what gives the Hyundai Ioniq an edge is the use of a diesel instead of a gasoline-ethanol fuel - diesel has more energy per liter than ethanol/gasoline - making an Ioniq diesel likely a better highway car (maybe the next coast to coast hypermiling marathon car?) . As long as there is no funny business with the diesel exhaust emissions - I say the Ioniq looks very promising.... However, Ioniq is new and has no track record of reliability like the Prius - so some might want to sit on the fence until the the Ioniq gets the all clear... The Ioniq looks heavier than the Prius - but this translates to a better ride - more like a Honda Accord hybrid or a Toyota Camry hybrid. However, the problem with a heavier car is that when it stops it loses more energy/momentum than a lighter weight car - the biggest energy efficiency lost comes from doing a full stop - regen braking only recaptures a fraction of the energy lost from a full stop so the lighter weight car is easier to drive more efficiently. Hence if the Ioniq has a heavier curb weight than a Prius then the Ioniq will have a design handicap from the very start. Wrt to fuel efficiency - with the stuff I've learned from this website/forum -- my 2010 Toyota Prius is getting an overall 59 mpg over 68000 miles -which still beats the EPA rating of the 2016 Toyota Prius II Eco. I get about 54 mpg in the winter and about 64 mpg in the summer - I get about 10 mpg more than my two sister who both have a Toyota Prius in their drive way (20% overall improvement). I suppose I could get better MPG on with a 4th gen - or it might be easier to do - either way with regular gas running slightly less than $2 a gallon... I can't complain.

xcel likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi Walter:

All good stuff and congrats on the 59 mpg lmpg.

The Hyundai Ioniq is also a gas engine with the Prius' 40 percent+ thermodynamic efficiency.

What I hope for from Hyundai is a steep discount off retail soon after its release. It is smaller than the Sonata HEV/PHEV as it appears to be built off the 17 Elantra platform with a sloped hatch form factor. I doubt it will reach the Prius II Eco's 58/53 city/highway rating but I can almost bet Hyundai bests the Prius-II Eco's $25,535 incl $835 D&H retail price.

Imagine an Ioniq ECO variant with a 55/50 mpg city/highway rating in SE trim that starts at $24,000. Add a tech package incl NAVI, audio and a sun roof for $1,500. 6-months after release if fuel prices are still low, knock off $4,500... See where I am going with this? ;)

Wayne

JonNC likes this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Automotive News had an article this morning on the Ioniq in which Hyundai's chief R&D engineer, Yang Woong-chul, says that the Ioniq will top the Prius in highway fuel economy. Also:

JonNC and xcel like this.
  14. jefmoody

jefmoody Member

Very exciting...You know I like Hyundai (Not sure exactly how a Lexus LS guy changed to Hyundai but it happened). I'm thinking if gas mileage is over 50 and I might buy one also.

xcel likes this.
  15. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

I took delivery of Sonata PHEV 2 weeks ago. Compared to Accord PHEV unfortunately it turns on the engine if you just slightly turn on heater/AC (even at idling:-(). Kind of defeats the EV range for short trips and destroys my mpg so far. Hopefully they improve that but I understand that's a limitation of their system compared to Honda's setup allowing to drive A/C directly from battery. I'm back in CA so when weather gets warmer hopefully it won't do that anymore...

Otherwise it's lot less noisy and transitions are almost silent compared to Honda's system. The hybrid system is not quite as efficient but still pretty decent and close.

xcel likes this.
  16. xcel

Hi Luke:

So glad to hear you picked one up! After driving the Accord HEV again against the VW and Audi TDIs last spring, its superior attributes were diminished. It was noisy and that high speed run across the desert between Phoenix and San Diego back in 2014 showed its higher speed limitations.

That said, the Accord HEV and even the PHEV-13 is still a potent weapon. Up against the Sonata PHEV-27 however, neither had what it takes to catch the Koreans flag ship. I also find the Hyundai to be more comfortable as well.

I cannot wait to hear more about your experiences as I cannot wait to get back into one again soon.

Wayne

17. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne,

Fully agree. Not missing those 'green' eco fabric seats in Honda. Sonata has excellent seats and ride is lot more solid and quieter interior. Also hard to hear ICE turning on at low speed unlike the Accord which was incredibly noisy with the CVT.
    Interior looks somewhat dated to me but starting to grow on me. Nav is much better. Much better search and more POI and better lane info. Also it has speed limit info which is great.

The gas pedal is somewhat touchy coming from a stop. Curious what you will think of that. It's like it hesitates for a second if you depress just very slightly. It's more responsive in normal mode but I'm getting used to it. I guess part of eco mode. It doesn't retain normal mode and always reset back to eco by the way (to get EPA in ECO I guess).

I discovered today that the history page that shows your last trips (between ignition starts) that the mpg is not trip average but tank average! Weirdest design ever and that threw me off thinking the engine come on when it really wasn't (and they don't have the current trip distance and mpg views unlike Honda unfortunately). The ICE does come on when you accelerate I think more than 50% or so. So far for the 2 100 mile trips I averaged about 65 mpg but I was driving normal. I'm sure you can get a lot more. Also so far I pretty much matched the 27 mile EPA range with normal driving. So should be easy to exceed that.

What surprised me is how fast the Accord PHEV charged the 6.7kwh battery (<3 hours) compared to other PHEV's. The Sonata takes I believe 8 hours (9.8 kWh). I'm guessing that part of the reason is that Honda only used 50% or so of the battery. But haven't checked yet the kwH going into Sonata PHEV when it's fully drained.

Luke

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  18. xcel

Hi Luke:

Thanks for the details with yours.

Wayne

19. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Noticed today that the 2 trip meters do not have any mpg associated with them:-(. Explains why they only show distance and elapsed time. The average mpg seems separate and that's the only counter you get. There's no direct link anywhere between mpg and distance it seems. I guess you just have to reset both to keep them in sync.

The center screen does have last 30 min. mpg (similar to Toyota) and kw but also no distance so not terrible useful either. And the max mpg in graph is 45 mpg which is way too low.

Some other things I noticed:
    - Stays in EV mode just fine above 60 mph all the way up to 70 mph (didn't had a chance to go faster than that today). In theory this might beat the Accord PHEV at 65+ mph. Otherwise I'm seeing somewhere around 45 mpg for 65 mph (bit hilly so not 100% accurate). So still guessing 10% less efficient than Honda at those speeds (but EV range is double so seeing overall better mpg)
    - The EV estimate seems also correct at highway speeds. For Honda it just dropped fast and estimate was way too optimistic. Maybe this PHEV system is more efficient at highway speeds
    - Fully EV portion drained it takes 8:45 hours on 120 V to charge. 3x longer than Accord (46% smaller battery) but I should get a level 2 plug since I have a 240V outlet in garage.
    - Cargo space is a lot better than Accord PHEV. Certainly comparable to small sedan
    - There seems to be a bug when you turn off the engine and it's still in D. You see goodbye screen but when you set in P and open doors it complains key not in range and it beeps. In that case I have to turn it off again
    - I wish there were more customization settings. I can't turn off chime whenever I hit a favorite address and can't change or turnoff loud chime when you turn off engine (sounds like that Hertz GPS system). Also with Honda I believe I could setup trip A/B separately for reset settings (between starts, refuel, never, ...)

BillLin and xcel like this.
  20. xcel

HI Luke:

Great stuff!

With such little seat time in the PHEV-27, I am reading your details with great interest!!!

From that little time, I am going to say as soon as you near 70 mph or more, the Sonata HEV and maybe even the PHEV is going to surpass the Accord HEV/PHEV. In between however, the Accord will still have the advantage.

One of my dislikes for the Accord HEV was how it revved when climbing mountains. This is not an everyday routine for most but damn that thing was pushing some high Rs. I did not notice it until the review when we crossed the Laguna Mountain Range on the I8 in southern Calif. and again on the Northwest Challenge two years back. In charge sustaining mode with heavy traffic however, the Accord HEV/PHEV has an ~ 5 to 8 percent advantage over the Sonata HEV/PHEV. You cannot beat that 27-mile range which is way short of its actual too!

Wayne