2016 Nissan Titan XD Review

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 16, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Driving a full size heavy duty work truck with unique attributes all its own.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 16, 2015

2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve – Pricing is expected at $60,000 to $62,000 USD. EPA ratings are not disclosed.

Today's ride is courtesy of Nissan in the form of one of their hottest to get into products. That being the 2016 Nissan Titan XD 4WD in the chart topping Platinum Reserve trim.

Of course they released details on the 5.6L gas engine but we are here in LA to drive the 555 lb-ft of torque 5.0L V8 Cummins Super Diesel. CGI block, two stage turbo, EGR w/ a DOC/SCR/DPF bring the emissions levels down to Tier II/Bin 3 car emissions specs. This monster is mated to an Aisin 6-speed HD through a 3.91 rear diff and American axles.

Its best truck brakes in the industry are due to massive 14.4" discs out back and 14.2" discs up front.

[​IMG]
    The reason for my interest.

[​IMG]
    The place where all that torque is parked.​

Tow cap for the base S trim in 2X4 trim, she can tow more than 12,300 lbs. Most trims in the low to mid 11k range and Cargo cap of 2,000 lbs. That is big work capability...

2016 Nissan Titan XD Highlights

[​IMG]
    First view from the Parking Garage.​

Although no exact pricing has been released yet - any day now if it is not already up, the Platinum Reserve trim should come in around $60 to $62k as a guess.

And it includes everything but the kitchen sink.

[​IMG]

LED highs, lows, DRLs, bed rail and tailgate, and tail lamps.

Bed channel clamps, spray in bed liner, bed mounted 120V outlet take care of the bed.

Inside it is Nissan's Infiniti like leather interior and heated wheel, soft touch plastics with dual contrast stitching from the door inserts and arm rests to the upper dash and center console. Wood inserts in the dash and doors, aluminum sill plates and the most comfortable soft leather zero gravity seats imaginable. Seats have the Platinum Reserve moniker formed into the upper seat backs too. Only the window sill and lower dash are hard plastic. 7" Display Audio and NAV.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front and Rear Seating.

[​IMG]
    Interesting Platinum Reserve inlay within the Titan monikered rubber mats.​

Before I go, big trucks in LA attract a lot of attention. Meaning chicks dig it with two giving it thumbs up within three blocks of driving between the LAX Wally Park parking garage and the Shell on Century and Aviation. A Civic Si owner just came around the pump and said, "Nice truck."

[​IMG]
    That is a lot of chrome.​

Another lady at the LAX Shell station came over and asked if it was a Ford and Ram mixed special truck. Not exactly sure what to make of that but if the public is relating it to those two super selling makes, I think Nissan might be on to something.

[​IMG]
    Lots of large chrome badging.​

It has been an hour and 20 minutes since I began filling and she consumed an extra 4.874 gallons from a pegged on full meter. I suspect the trucks 26.0 gal cap is short by at least 3.5 gallons and possibly more. With an EPA highway - if it were EPA rated - at 19 mpg, that means almost 600 miles or close to 1,000 from us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally almost ready to drive. Almost.​

Enough with the description, it is rush hour out of LA and I have almost 100 miles of the 405/5 nightmare to traverse before performing another hour and 45 minute fill to calculate the aFCD offset on the calibration drive...

2. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

The Garmin and displays are reset. Maybe it is time to for for a drive into the teeth of a nightmare called the 405. ;)

Wayne

3. xcel

Hi All:

Do you think you have it bad? I have to give credit to those poor bastards on the 405 each and every day... The witch called the 405 between LAX and the 5 was brewing a truly nasty concoction this evening for the 2016 Nissan Titan XD.

The 405 from LAX to the 405/5 interchange.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A whopping 9.2 miles in one solid hour at 16.7 mpg in the 2016 Nissan Titan XD.​

28.9 miles at the two hour mark. 51.0 miles at the 2.5 hour mark. I did not surpass the expected 19 mpg highway rating until the 20.5 mile mark!

[​IMG]
    And it just kept on going. :(

Sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes it bites you. It bit about .3 million people hard tonight and there was not a damn thing anyone was going to do about it.

[​IMG]
    Software tracking...​

I wonder what the Nissan data collection looked like after last nights 405/5 nightmare with the 2016 Nissan Titan XD?

I bet the data collection software reported to Smyrna that this guy is F****d! ;)

I stopped at a rest area to post all of this and ... And never you mind. ;)

The final calibration fill occurred at a Shell on Palomar Rd and the 5.

[​IMG]

I will only have 3 days to get the data collected as this truck has to be back in the Press Fleet handlers hands by 07:30 am on the 21st. Maybe tomorrow I can take on a day time high speed RT loop on the 5 and the Steady States on Saturday night.

Playing a little tonight as I removed the 405 traffic maelstroms hit from the calibration drive at the Rest Area with a reset at 80.4 miles - Garmin - at an indicated 23.9 mpg. This back calculates to 3.364 gal. Drove another 12.9 miles actual - Per Garmin again - at 25.8 mpg for a .5 gal estimated consumption. aFCD after the full 93.3 miles would have showed 24.1 mpg from the estimated 3.864 gal.

[​IMG]

The fill is going to be a long one. Already playing top off games at .7 gal. At 1.088 gal the pump stopped. Started a second fill now with a prepaid $10 so it hopefully will not shut off again... How come Nissan top offs always take so much darn time? :(

Wayne

4. xcel

Hi All:

And the final tally...

The 2016 Nissan Titan XD aFCD calculated it at 24.146 mpg with the split drive or 24.1 mpg. The 93.3 actual miles traveled on 3.860 gallons comes to 24.171 mpg or 24.2. The aFCD is essentially right on despite the 1% under report of the odometer.

[​IMG]

This is the third of four Nissan's whose displays match actual. Glad to see the cheating being run out of the industry and kudos to Nissan for their honesty.

More on the 2016 Nissan Titan XD later incl. some gearing and shift point discussion as I have only had two small bags of peanuts since waking up at 04:00 am CST this morning and I am starving. :)

Wayne

5. xcel

2016 Nissan Titan XD Overview from the Long Lead at Nissan Proving Grounds in Arizona

“Destruction Testing and Marketing Overview”

“Product Positioning and "Drivetrain and Towing”

6. xcel

2016 Nissan Titan XD Overview from the Long Lead at Nissan Proving Grounds in Arizona

“Chassis and Bed Overview”

“Estimated Pricing and Trims plus Interior Details”

7. xcel

Hi All:

2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve

[​IMG]
    Parked in the drive as I type.​

Not sure what the hell is going on but this is the sixth compliment I have received on this truck and I have had it for barely 24 hours.

I was sitting at my laptop typing up the T-Mobile piece when a neighbor rang the doorbell. One of our letters was mistakenly placed in his post box instead of ours so he brought it over.

He said, “That is one heck of a good looking truck!”

He asked if “I was selling trucks for a living” because he saw the 2016 Chevrolet Silverado HD High Country in the drive a few weeks back. He then said. “This one looks even better than the last one.”

I am not sure what kind of secret sauce Nissan has spun into the exterior design but with the bold chrome accents, badging and black-chrome 20s, they may have a bigger hit on their hands than even they had hoped.

[​IMG]

There are more than a few negatives yet to discern but on a curb appeal basis, Nissan hit a grand slam if all of these compliments on the road, at the gas stations and now from my home are any indication.

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

With just three days to go and rain heading into the San Diego area for the weekend I thought it best to attempt the steady states after midnight this morning. Temps in the mid to high 40s are barely acceptable but no wind is always welcome...

[​IMG]

Wayne

9. xcel

Hi All:

A 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve trim highlight.

[​IMG]

It is soft black leather with a tight black herringbone inner stitched seam and parallel dual orange contrasting stitches inside a real wood partial inlay in the heated wheel.

Say that fast even once.

Wayne

10. xcel

Hi All:

From early this morning the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve trim 4X4 with the 5.0L Cummins Speed vs Fuel Economy Graph.

Temps from 46 to 48 degrees F with winds out of the East at 5 mph for the NB and SB runs.

[​IMG]

The speedometer error was consistent from 50 to 70 mph at 1 mph over actual.

RPMs at 60 mph were 1,573 RPM vs the calculated 1,541.

With the 67.5 to 70 mph crossovers from 19.0 to 18.2 mpg respectively, if the Titan XD were to have its EPA rating published, it would more than likely be set at 19 mpg.

Now for some thoughts on the somewhat low results, especially at lower speeds.

The 3.916 rear end and 6-speed final (.634) of the Nissan Titan XD is too short to compete on an efficiency basis with the ¾-tons from RAM and Chevrolet with 3.42 (Ram ¾-Ton with the 6.7L Cummins) and 3.73 (Silverado HD ¾-Ton with the 6.6L Duramax) which are running at 1,400 and 1,297 RPM@60 mph respectively.

The other HDs are upshifting well below their peak torque and can run the slow speed stuff at just 1,000 to 1,100 RPM. The Nissan Titan XD on the other hand is upshifting while unloaded at 1,600 or so right where its peak torque begins and rarely runs below 1,200 RPM before downshifting. Both of which harm city efficiency which is not what the steady states deduce anyway. It is strictly highway efficiency measure.

[​IMG]

Since Nissan built the Titan XD on a HD chassis with capability to tow possibly more than 15,000 pounds, there was little weight savings - 6,800 to 7,500 pounds in various configurations and trims with the Cummins – vs the domestics HDs. In addition, the Titan XDs frontal area is every bit as large as the HDs from the big three. All of which means the smaller 5.0L Cummins and its 555 lb-ft. of torque is working harder to move the approximate same mass that the 6.6L Duramax, 6.7L Cummins and 6.7L Power Stroke are. Nissan chose to change the original spec 3.55 rear end to the 3.91 for a reason and more than likely, it was to keep the 12,300 lb. tow cap in the 2WD S trim vs. falling back below 11k for many of the other configurations.

Just a guess on my part but there is a fuel efficiency penalty for that 12K tow cap rating so if you are not towing, you have more to consider when purchasing this truck.

For future 2017 offerings, I hope to see that 3.55 rear end reappear with maybe an 10,000 lb tow cap and a retuned transmission to take advantage of an abundance of torque at 1,100 RPM on up, not at the maximum 1,600 RPM on up as it – the 6-speed Aisin transmission - is tuned today. It would provide better efficiency at both the lower speed city work and a significant improvement in highway efficiency. I think…

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

I chased the sun to its setting conclusion tonight in the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve...

Wayne

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. xcel

Hi All:

Someone is going shopping for 4x8 sheets of something at the local Home Depot. You know, to see how that sheet fits in the bed of the 2016 Nissan Titan XD or something.

The Titan has a hard plastic tailgate liner to help load items into and out if the bed easily. It also has long hard plastic runners the length of the bed to help load and unload loads. Except something will not stay loaded with the bed down with those runners in there. Plus on the load in and out, minus on the keeping the load where you placed it with the tailgate down.

Learn something new everyday.

Really liked the LED bed, under bed rail and tailgate lamps controlled from a switch in the cab. Those will be very useful.

FB_IMG_1450668003943.jpg FB_IMG_1450668011268.jpg FB_IMG_1450668015791.jpg
    Wayne

13. xcel

Hi All:

A quick stop at Americas favorite store...

[​IMG]

The LED Cargo lamps up top, under the rails and in the the tailgate area. This lighting us std. only on he SL and Platinum Reserve trim.

Notice the black plastic sleeves over the bed channels. The intrrior plastic tailgate cover and those sleeves running the length of the bed help you to load and unload easier. They do not however help hold a load in the bed with the tailgate down.

[​IMG]

Wayne

14. xcel

The 2016 Nissan Titan XD saves its best for last.

[​IMG]

While not an efficiency story, it is a story about capability. The capability to tow intermediate loads with confidence and longevity like nothing from the LDs yet some of the HDs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the mean time, Southern California's 5 and 405 must have decided to give me a respite after last week's 4 hour long nightmare and let us fly. I bet this morning's drive back towards San Diego is going to pay me back in full.

I am currently parked at PageOne's offices in Gardena California at dawn and an hour early to swap into a 16 Volt of all things...

Nice work by the Titan team at splitting the difference between a 1/2-Ton and 3/4-Ton with an iconic Cummins Turbo Diesel in an American designed and built truck.

Not so great work at providing an efficiency story however as all the 3/4-Tons and even the 1-Tons with their even more powerful turbo diesel offerings provide the consumer even better efficiency.

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

Within the last few hours Nissan released full pricing detail for its 2016 Titan XD with an on-sale date at dealerships nationwide beginning tomorrow.

[​IMG]

As posted, it is available in five trims, S, SV, SL, Pro-4X and Platinum Reserve with 4x4 and 4x2 running gear, Crew Cab configuration – for now – and the exclusive 5.0L Cummins V8 Turbo Diesel.

The S 4X2 has a base price of $40,290, just $290 over the base pricing Nissan Titan’s chief engineer said at the Long Lead two months ago. The top-of-the-line Platinum Reserve 4x4 grade has an MSRP of $60,520, also just $520 over the price Rich hinted at.

The rest of the Titan lineup including the yet to be seen Standard and Extended Cab configurations on two frame sizes – the XD and the non-XD chassis that “do not share a single bolt”, and three powertrain offerings including the Cummins, the 5.6L Gas engine and a smaller yet to be announced offering to be named at a later date.

MSRP for the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Crew

Titan XD S Crew Cab 4x2 - $40,290 USD
    Titan XD SV Crew Cab 4x2 - $44,060 USD
    Titan XD SL Crew Cab 4x2 - $52,030 USD
    Titan XD Platinum Reserve Crew Cab 4x2 - $57,470 USD
    Titan XD S Crew Cab 4x4 $43,290 USD
    Titan XD SV Crew Cab 4x4 - $47,010 USD
    Titan XD PRO-4X Crew Cab 4x4 - $50,970 USD
    Titan XD SL Crew Cab 4x4 - $55,030 USD
    Titan XD Platinum Reserve Crew Cab 4x4 - $60,520 USD

Destination and handling adds $1,195

The Titan XD's available technologies include an Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Trailer Sway Control (TSC), Tow/Haul Mode with Downhill Speed Control and a Trailer Light Check system that allows one-person hook-up operation – including checking turn signals, brake lights and running/clearance lights. Assisting trailer hook-ups is a RearView Monitor with Trailer Guides.

[​IMG]

The 2016 Titan XD is available with the Nissan’s excellent Around View Monitor (AVM), which provides a unique "bird's eye" view of the surrounding area to help with parking and pulling in and out of tight spaces. The system includes Moving Object Detection (MOD). Both prove to be a godsend for the monster truck in tight places.

Two trailer hitches are available, including an integrated gooseneck hitch engineered into the frame and easily accessible in the bed.

Wayne

16. xcel

Hi All:

And a few conclusions now that the full retail pricing has been released.

I wish I could put my finger on it but after numerous highway drives including the last one documented above, only one even breached 26 mpg. We have seen 49 mpg on this same route with the 14 RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel, 31 mpg from the 14 RAM 3500 DRW with the 6.7L Cummins, 28.9 mpg from the 16 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.6L Duramax and 30 from an 11 Ford F-250 with the Power Stroke. Different route with the Ford. The Domestics and their 6.7L Cummins I6, 6.7L Power Stroke V8 and 6.6L Duramax V8 Super Diesels have it all over the Titan's Cummins V8 as breaking 28 in the Duramax was not all that hard and 30+ from the RAM HDs and F-250 was even easier.

With the J2807 specs hanging over the Titan XD design teams head, it is the one thing that may have held the Titan XDs efficiency quotient back. The 5.0L Cummins V8 at 310 hp and 555 lb-ft. of torque is a powerful SOB but it is not comparable to the power from a 6.6L Duramax, 6.7L Inline Cummins and 6.7L Power Stroke. Not yet anyway. Nissan was very specific about targeting between the two segments and I think they nailed it with regards to capability but…

In other words, the Titan XD is not an efficiency story.

It is a sharp looking truck that breaks new ground by splitting the Light Duty (LD) and Heavy Duty (HD) segments. It can tow 8 to 10k pounds better than any half ton but it is going to cost its owners at the pump by comparison to the half-tons and the three-quarter tons with their turbo diesels.

It has a full 3/4-Ton chassis beneath so could probably handle closer to 15 to 17,500 pounds if a future Cummins 5.0L upgrade was up to the task. Meaning another 150 lb-ft and 30 to 50 more hp. I would not expect that until at least a refresh in a few years.

Interior comfort is top notch although the Silverado HD is quieter.

Ride is excellent for a ¾ ton and just a bit stiffer than the 1.2 tons. Had to be given the capability, right? With its double wishbone suspension up front, it has excellent turn in, on-center feel albeit vague – std. in the HD truck segment – and only the Silverado with its Digital Steering Assist is better.

Brakes? Nobody touches the Titan’s brakes.

On the pricing front, picking up a loaded 2016 Chevrolet Silverado HD Crew Cab 4X4 High Country with the 6.6L Duramax is going to set new owners back about $62k without trying too hard. $6k off retail. The Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve is about $2k less expensive at retail so it has some catching up to do on capability and efficiency. Nissan is very generous with incentive $s so it should not be long and a Titan XD Platinum Reserve for a touch over $50k should be in order. That is where the bargain arises.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado HD Duramax 4X4 -TrueCar Pricing Report

[​IMG]

Then you have the 17 Class 3 and 4 F-Series coming up. Rumors of a 1,000 lb-ft Power Stroke mated to a 10-speed AT are coming to light. That kind of output could change the whole HD dynamic just as the Challenger and Charger Hellcats 707 hp put the Mustang and Camaro on notice that they were simply toys by comparison.

If you are looking for an eye catching truck, the Titan XD has all of that and more. I have not received as many compliments over such a short review period. But on a total cost of ownership basis, the ½ tons for lighter duty and ¾ tons as a direct comparison make more sense. Right now.

Wayne

17. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

So-very nice truck
    BUT……
    The BIG CUMMINS RAM beats it in everyway -so does the power stroke and Duramax
    And the 3.0 Ram TD KILLS it in FE-and is an awfully good choice for a " family car/ not too heavy work truck"-which describes 99% of pickups
    and the 5.6 gasoline Titan is a very nice truck-with sweet motor-probably 23 mpg at 60 mph -much cheaper-and VERY powerful-geared right it could tow anything the 5.0 Cummins could- LOTS CHEAPER-

xcel likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

And a short video showing what a DPF Regen in the Nissan Titan XD looks like and its effect on efficiency.

Wayne

19. xcel

Hi All:

I received an interesting comment on the vid above on YouTube.

David Locklear:
    My Reply:

20. xcel

Hi All:

A beautiful tribute to those that have come before... Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge.

I was not expecting this but what a great way to introduce their new truck.

Wayne