How do you eat your Peanut Butter?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xcel, Dec 8, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

So how do you finish off your peanut butter? Here is mine. ;)

[​IMG]

Now I have no peanut butter. :(

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

I LOVE peanut butter.
    Yes it would look like that.
    I eat Smuckers
    I suspect the peanut butters that say "natural"
    actually "steal" the good (expensive) mono-unsaturated peanut oil
    and substitute in palm oil-fully saturated I think(palm oil tastes just fine,but…)
    Natural is a CS lawyer-ed word that allows foods to be adulterated
    For example- vanilla ice cream that is described as "natural vanilla"
    gets MOST of the vanilla from WOOD- yeah extracted from WOOD- not vanilla beans-(Breyers does that-others too)

SOB food companies really suck-

But I LOVE peanut butter and palm oil tastes very good-and it is certainly "better" than hydrogenated oils-

xcel likes this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

People pay extra for beer that's aged in wood. Gives it "vanilla notes" , or something. :)

xcel likes this.
  4. phoebeisis

Edwin-
    aged beer-what has the world come to??
    Yeah I used to think the wine and whiskey snobs were making that "s%4t up "hints of this and that"
    all to cover up the nasty astringent bite of ethanol
    but I guess those oak barrels are doing something
    Oh-I discovered the Natural peanut butter scam when I noticed-walmart maybe-that Jiff or peter pan were offering cheaper than Smuckers "good peanut butter" Smuckers is just peanuts and salt-it was CHEAPER-something I would notice-
    well the label told the story-palm oil-which is a nice tasting "natural but saturated oil" unclear exactly what that-saturated vegetable oil-means for CARDIAC risk-even unclear that mono's are "better"
    not unclear that man made TRANS FATS-were bad-low grade slow acting poisons-thanks to our food science buddies-
    cousins of the folks who managed to pass SCRAPIE(sheep prions disease around forever) to cows then from cows to humans( by feeding sheep to cows-then cows to cows-then changing the rendering process to extract more PRIONS infused lipids from cows- to FEED to cows thereby infecting more cows--them we eat the cows-Voile' new varient CJD "MAD COW DISEASE IN HUMANS" (stupid bastards feeding meat to herbivores-what could be wrong with that)
    Big aside-I would avoid eating game-dear elk(wasting disease is a prion disease)-and I sure as hell would never consider eating squirrel brains-like some hillybillies did-causing a variant of CJD

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    xcel likes this.
  5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I don't eat a lot of peanut butter. It's like crack for the dogs, though. If we really need to occupy them for a bit they get a little dab in a marrow bone and don't pay much attention to anything else until its gone. One of the more industrious pits figured out where we keep the jar and then learned how to open the cabinet. I tend to keep an eye on that one.

xcel likes this.
  6. phoebeisis

Tim
    Hmmm
    I'm sure Arty would like it-but I've never given her any.
    Your pit KNOWS where you keep it-and has opened the cabinet??
    Hmmm you are right-that boy/girl needs watching!

xcel likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

We put it on toast. Occasionally on a trail bar or rice cake. For cleaning out the jar a spatula is very effective.

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mendel:

You take all the fun out of it! :)

Wayne

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I do love a PB&J. I have one for lunch today.

xcel likes this.
  10. phoebeisis

I eat it with preserves-strawberry raspberry any berry
    and butter-yeah butter chunks on bread make it "gooder"
    easier to eat fast

xcel likes this.
  11. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

I usually take the knife out of my pocket, cut the jar in half for easy access to those hard to reach places.
    I wish I had a pic.

:D

xcel likes this.
  12. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

If they did that without saying so on the label, it would be illegal. However, adulterating peanut butter with palm oil and lots of refined sugar, then labeling it in a large font as "NATURAL" is unfortunately not illegal, as long as they list those adulterants in the fine print on the back.

I used to eat about half a pound per day, but am trying to cut back. Some supermarket in-house brands of unadulterated peanut butter are less expensive than Smuckers, and almost as good.

When I've scraped all I can out of a container, I let the local ants and slugs finish cleaning it up for me, so I can turn in that PET clean at the local recycling center, as they require, without wasting time, hot water, and detergent washing the container.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  13. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm partial to a Fluffernutter on toast. You get the PB and the Fluff all melting together...

[​IMG]

xcel likes this.
  14. phoebeisis

Redy
    it is right there on the label
    in TINY print-PALM oil
    they don't say "we squeezed the much more expensive peanut oil out-and are selling it on another isle"

The smuckers adds salt-which I'm ok with(little too salty-but just a little)
    I would have no problem with a little sucrose-sugar-from cane-a louisiana product-but they don't add any
    people have gotten a bit too anti-sugar-
    a tiny bit of sugar would suit my taste
    The palm oil-has an OK taste flavor-probably is a bit less "heart OK" than peanut oil
    But it is better that the hydrogenated oils-trans fats

But it is the tricky NATURAL label the the FDA allows-
    Must have mentioned that NATURAL VANILLA ice cream allows vanilla extracted from WOOD-
    most folks see NATURAL VANILLA- think it means BEANS-
    NOPE natural vanilla flavor means WOOD EXTRACT
    Our various protection agencies - are in the pocket of BIG $$
    Which is why we had better return pharmaceutical manufacturing to the USA
    before China starts to dominate Pharmaceuticals-
    they are world class adulterators-completely amoral
    they make patent medicine sellers of the late 1800's look like Jonas Salk
    Those patent medicines usually contained effective remedies-opium and alcohol for pain-
    not usually toxic
    The chinese adulterants are fakes-or melamine(toxic kidney stone producer) or ethylene glycol(anti-freeze-kidney and liver toxin)
    Recently they faked an anticoagulant-low molecular weight heparin-using a chemically similar molecule an OTC-joint supplement(that doesn't work but is legal-PROBABLY HARMLESS)
    soon they will be faking adulterating monoclonal antibodies(extremely expensive-high profit item)-diluting them with "regular antibodies"-
    Once the new HCV meds($1000/pill $80,000 cure) are out of patent protection they will be producing them-

we need to return manufacturing to the USA-not just for jobs-but for safety-
    our FDA was neutered in the mid late 1980's

I have become a full time crank on this issue-adulterated meds/foods

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  15. phoebeisis

Redy-around here-NOLA- the only cheaper in house brand I have found is by WHOLE FOODS-
    and everything else there is too expensive
    My late wife used to call them "whole paycheck"
    Nice peanut butter-but 7 miles one way-even in the prius it doesn't make sense
    Is that marshmallow paste with the peanut butter-looks good
    on Toast??-it looks almost as if you grilled it-looks too good-with that crusty look-like you grilled it with some butter??
    which is GREAT for grilled cheese-mmmmmmh!!
    grilled with butter on the downside!!
    Peanut butter sand wiches are good grilled-with butter on the downside!!!
    Geeez getting hungry!!

xcel likes this.
  16. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The pic is one I found on Google. My search terms were "Fluffernutter on toast". Yeah, fluff is that marshmallow goo. Its a Northern thing (Yankee parents). I make mine on toast, but grilled sounds good too. I also like grilled PB and banana sandwiches (Elvis style). As far as my PB goes, absolutely no PB with hydrogenated oils is allowed in my house. My preferred list of ingredients in my PB is Peanuts, Salt, and Molasses and/or Honey. Sometimes I make my own PB.

xcel likes this.
  17. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

Peanuts
    • Peanuts contain beneficial protein, but many people are allergic to them and find them hard to digest.
    • They also contain aflatoxin, a carcinogenic, which may explain why peanut farmers have been found
      to have disproportionately high rates of cancer.
    • Peanuts are high in fungus and, often, pesticides.
      They do not contain any omega-3, which can contribute to distorting your omega-6:eek:mega-3 ratio.
    • The peanut is actually a legume, not a nut (which is why they are often roasted).
    • Peanuts contain about the same amount of protein as soy and are low in starchy carbohydrates.
    • Did you know? George Washington Carver was largely responsible for popularizing the peanut as a food in America.
    • Weird, I copied the above and now can't compose my own words except here, stuck in this format, HELP! Anyway, although I try to watch my omega 6:3 ratio, I love PB and eat it with celery sticks. I get my PB at Whole Foods, you can grind your own organic peanuts and it comes out warm and smelling so delicious. If you can get to a Whole Foods Market you MUST try their freshly ground PB. THE BOMB!

JonNC and xcel like this.
  18. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

schuylkill,

There is a local place that is similar to Whole Paycheck where I can get freshly ground PB, Cashew Butter, Almond Butter and maybe a few other nut butters as well.
    You are correct, there is nothing like fresh, warm nut butter!
    :D

xcel likes this.
  19. I don't like it that much but I eat it with banana. :)

RedylC94 and phoebeisis like this.
  20. phoebeisis

Lillian Littlepage

Elvis-The King-ate his that way also.

Brick-you out there??
    Keeping an eye on that way to clever Pit?
    Our cats are big on opening cabinets-
    but mainly because of their toxic curiosity-not exactly purposeful-but they would confiscate any treats-
    A dog that carefully watches you-opens cabinets to get at treats -bears watching
    a pit might be able to crunch its way thru a plastic jar-slippery as those jars are-
    Big powerful jaws-yeah betting on Mr Pit over the jar