BailOut's Yaris

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by BailOut, Jul 2, 2007.

1. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

[​IMG]

This is my 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback in Blazing Blue Metallic. It has a 1.5L engine (1NZ-FE, Otto cycle) and a 5-speed manual transmission. It is the middle of the run of this lower model, meaning it has a factory stereo and the "cold weather package", but no power windows, etc. I do not like powered things like windows, locks, seats, mirrors, etc. as they are always the first thing to fail on most cars, and always cost way more to repair than they are worth.

[​IMG]

My last car was a 1999 Dodge Stratus, which was very hard to maintain due to poor workmanship and had horrible fuel economy, even though it had an I4 engine.

[​IMG]

As you might have guessed, my Yaris is fond of Lake Tahoe and lots of mountain driving.

[​IMG]

You can see the specifications of this vehicle here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is at home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 you see in the garage. My wife bought it before we met, and it's paid for. It is used so little nowadays that it's had less than 1,000 miles put on it in the last year.

[​IMG]

Notice the factory armrest, from an RS sedan version of the Yaris:

[​IMG]

You can see the yellow box containing a tire patch kit under the seat. It's part of my decision to dump the spare tire and jack in favor of a patch kit and small, portable compressor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a better shot of the EBH plug:

[​IMG]

And the timer that controls it:

[​IMG]

I'm running on the stock Potenza RE92's:

[​IMG]

... at 60 PSI:

[​IMG]

Here are some shots of various declaration items on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the engine bay:

[​IMG]

Notice the K&N panel air filter and grounding kit (the grounding kit is just for my peace of mind, with this being a drive-by-wire vehicle):

[​IMG]

Here's the DIY PCV catch can I made, which currently holds about 15ml of crankcase oil, representing about 2,000 miles of driving:

[​IMG]

Let's move on to the interior. Here's my solar trickle charger and portable, fold-able solar panels for my hand-held devices:

[​IMG]

Here are the smaller panels folded up:

[​IMG]

And here the smaller panels are removed (simple velcro mount):

[​IMG]

Here we see the cables coming from the smaller panels, which are connected to my cellular phone and PDA, along with my auxiliary MP3 player AC3 jack:

[​IMG]

This is the centered console and cluster:

[​IMG]

The driver's dash, sporting a ScanGauge II:

[​IMG]

And the back seat (the plastic bottle there is about 6 months old and has been refilled and refrigerated about 150 times). Also visible is my trusty sun shield and my foofoo seat belt cushion:

[​IMG]

The car currently has 7,400 miles on it, and was purchased in February of this year. It is my placeholder until a decent PHEV hits the market, and has served me very well thus far. It has much more interior and cargo space than the size of the vehicle makes you think, and its handling greatly improved with pumping up the tires.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

Sweet ride Bailout ! I appreciate the end user pics much more than factory sales pics . If there had still been a Toyota dealer here in town ,I'd be driving one just like it !

3. FocusGuy77

FocusGuy77 Guy with Focus

Nice work, BailOut. Thank you for sharing so thoroughly about your car.

Where does one find the solar trickle chargers, was there much modifying to get it hooked up, and what do they cost?

4. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

that is one cute vehicle!! i love the color. now why can't honda make hybrids in a color like that, rather than 5 different shades of BLAH!!

:woot:

5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

It looks nice. :cool: Yaris was the one car on our list we didn't test drive because the nearest Toyota dealer didn't have one in stock. I like your set up-none of the nonsense power options--a man after my own heart.

I have just a couple questions: Does "cold weather package" mean no AC? How smooth is the underside, does it have bellypans?

6. BailOut

I bought it through Amazon.com for USD $35. I drilled a 5mm hole through my firewall, right next to the heater pipes, to connect it directly to the battery. This was necessary because the 12V adapter is controlled by the ECU, and the entire chassis side of the ECU would initialize - and use lots of power - as soon as the charger started handing it some power.

The "All Weather Package" (which I have always called the "Cold Weather Package", since that's what it is for) just means DRL, a larger heater core, rear heater duct, a larger windshield fluid tank with a low level warning indicator, M+S tires, and a larger starter. Yes, I have A/C, which is part of the "Convenience Package", along with the stereo, audio jack, rear wiper/washer/defroster, and floor mats. I don't think you can get a Yaris in the U.S. without the Convenience Package, and it is automatically included along with the All Weather Package.

The underside is very smooth, and does employ two belly pans, along with inset pipe areas.

One thing I should have mentioned about the last picture is that the little water bottle changes shape according to altitude, either bowing out or becoming concave as I traverse my mountain commute. It's kind of funny. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

Nice writeup Bailout. Everybody should do this.............post photos of their ride + driving scenery. I don't think I can top Tahoe though :)

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brian:

___Great group of photos and captions to go along with them. I love the new stickers, the compressor and those shots of Lake Tahoe with you and the Yaris in the foreground are to die for! I wonder which one to use for the home page “My Ride” this week ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

I'm diggin' it!, your pictures look much better than the ones on the toyota website, and i've yet to see a LB in that color in person

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

In Regards to Lake Tahoe - BailOut is "Walking the Talk"

Wish I could have gotten close enough for the bumper sticker to be read without my markup in the photo, but I saw this today...
    [​IMG]
    Who is helping out more - Bailout or him? ;)

This is the bumper sticker:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chuck:

___Without question, Brian has it all over that guy :D

___Look at the body lean of that pig. The guy is lucky he is not going to lose it into a crowd of innocent bystanders the way that thing is starting to rear up as he nears an apex :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Googled so you can see the detail of the little blue sticker:

[​IMG]

13. BailOut

ROFL, Chuck! I see at least a dozen of those stickers every day, and due to the high ratio of over-sized vehicles around here it's on an SUV or pickup truck better than 90% of the time.

Even more often I see the purplish "Protect Lake Tahoe" specialty license plate, and it is also usually on an over-sized vehicle. I saw one yesterday on an Envoy with a trailer hitch that was tagged "LV MAUI".

I wonder if there's a single vehicle anywhere in that driver's life that isn't an environmental killer. :rolleyes:

14. yi5hedr3

yi5hedr3 Well-Known Member

Did you install the engine block heater yourself or was it the more difficult "freeze-plug" type? What about cost?? These things rev high when cold, and burn much gas til warmed, so I am interested!

15. fitmpg

fitmpg Well-Known Member

Nice ride. Nice shade of blue. Compliments the sky rather well! I almost went for the Yaris, too. She's a beauty.
    brian

16. BailOut

Thank you, Brian. :)

Johnny,

I installed the EBH myself. I would say it's moderate in difficulty as you need to disconnect 2 shift linkage points to clear the hole for it, and you need to disassemble a semi-hidden channel panel behind the bumper to route the cord.

It costs $34. It turned out to be a bad investment, though. Electricity in my area costs about $0.13/kWh. The unit pulls 400W and takes about 3 hours to warm the water from 40F to 130F. With the small mileage boost it granted me (especially since I was already maximizing my hypermiling techniques) I was basically spending about $0.20 worth of electricity each morning to save about $0.17 worth of gas.

As such I feel that the EBH is a useful tool if it is necessary for keeping one's block from freezing in extreme weather way up North, but from a fuel efficiency perspective it is likely a losing proposition.

Mine shorted out after just 7 months anyway. I cut the cord off and called it done.

17. yi5hedr3

yi5hedr3 Well-Known Member

Yikes!! Thanx for the "heads-up". I actually went to the dealer today to inquire about them. He said they haven't sold any here "that's usually up north" is what he said, so I told him I would research it further. Fortunately I did not have him order one for me!! I wondered about the electric cost, but also it never occurred to me that it might "burn out" especially in such a short timeframe! Thanx for your valuable input - you've saved me some grief!!! :)

18. 99HXCivic

99HXCivic Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pics! Gotta good look at the engine, but it seems like a hard to maintain engine! Like where is / how do you change the spark plugs? When I try to buy a car, I like easy maintenance also! Sucks how so many modern cars have hard to maintain engines. It must be a major conspiracy to get more dealer profits!

19. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

All engines are hard to maintain.

20. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Some cars are harder than others. Cars with small engines in big compartments (e.g. 4 cyl Ranger) are usually easier than cars with small engines in small compartments. AC makes things tighter/more complex.

The Yaris engine compartment does look a little tight. Looks like you would need to take the cowling off eventually to help get at some components. On the other hand, electronic power steering seems like it would make scheduled maintenance requirements a little easier and, depending on implementation, might be more reliable and make repairs simpler for the DIY'er.

With its size and drive-by-wire control systems the Yaris seems like it would be a prime candidate for a DIY EV conversion.