2016 HSH First Tank

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata Hybrid' started by rhwinger, Nov 25, 2015.

1. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Filled up today for the first refueling of my 16 HSH. 775 miles on the OD with 13.1 gal needed for the fill. 59 mpg? My normal commute is about 8 miles of divided highway, 18 miles of interstate, and then 6 miles of suburban traffic to the office, opposite going home.

This IS the first fill, and I usually stop filling on the first nozzle click. I try to go to the same pump to minimize nozzle shut off variation. I neglected to take a pic after the fill, but I did see a couple segments in the low 60's during the tank, but I'm still getting used to this beautiful machine.

Tomorrow we will do a lot of interstate driving heading north to the in laws, so I expect the numbers to drop quite a bit.

This should be interesting.

Thanks,

Bob

2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Congrats, Bob! Sounds like a great start.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Bill

3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Nice results! How does it compare to your previous cars so far?

4. rhwinger

Bill and Mike, I knew the MPG's would be lower. But unlike the cMax that I purchased 3 years ago, the HSH can actually be driven above EPA without standing on my head. I think the initial 59 MPG was a bit optimistic. Not sure exactly why, but oh well.

We headed up to Baltimore before Thanksgiving and with light rain, 3 adults and a panting dog, had to run the windshield defogger, and the we tried out the new seat heaters and such. ;-) It was mostly highway driving between 55-65 mph, with a couple obligatory DC traffic jams thrown in for good measure. Two 40 mile segments with rain, lower temps and hilly country terrain knocked a few MPG off the tank as well. Finished up at 52.X on my first complete tank. Wasn't overly thrilled with the results, but not terribly disappointing either.

Took Levi back to Radford Sunday - a +550 mile, 12 hour day with cold temps, rain, mountain terrain, fog and traffic jams on I81, I was glad to get home. I had over 150 miles left on the tank pulling into the garage with 52.4 mpg showing on the display for my less than focused efforts.

Over 1200 miles of driving between Wednesday before Thanksgiving and Sunday evening.

One thing is for sure. The Sonata sure is quieter and more comfortable than the Bond Mobile. So I'm willing to give up a few MPG for that and a nice sound system.

I'll go for a Quaker State full synthetic oil change and press up the tires in a bit. The tires came filled with N2. Before this I would scoff at N2 filled tires as a dealer upcharge gimmic. Now, I'd like to look into it more before going farther.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. rhwinger

The trip out to Radford and back turned out to be 50.X mpg. Again, not the best of conditions and I wasn't overly focused. Turning on the heat and defrost sure has a pronounced effect. On the HCH it was possible to dial in some heat w/o engaging the A/C compressor. Not sure about the Sonata. Anyone know for sure?

A quick Google search turned up a few articles that said N2 in tires was of questionable benefit given the expense and inconvenience. My previous tires dry rotted on the outside before the tread wore out, so I guess I'll just go with the normal air supply.

The transmission seems to hang in the lower gears for a long time when trying to get from 0 - 45 mph or so. No matter how much I ease back on the throttle, I can't seem to get the transmission to upshift. This is in Eco mode. Anyone have any workarounds?

Still enjoying the new ride, but unlearning 9 years of HCH techniques/habbits in the Sonata makes me feel like an old dog trying to learn new tricks. ;-)

Bob

6. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

For a much larger car, I would say that you are doing quite well getting it dialed in. I am still learning what works best with the CR-Z, but the early morning teens is killing me. I seem to get between 45 to 55 mpgs in what I consider a mild hybrid. I look forward to seeing what your car can do once it is truly broken in.

7. rhwinger

Thanks John. The Sonata sure is interesting.

Bob

8. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is a lot more comfortable than the HCH. I doubt the sound system compares to the A7, though.

9. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

There should be an Econ or Eco button that keeps the compressor off unless you're on defrost/defog. When the engine is off but the car is booted, you can hear the compressor from outside the car if it's running. It sounds like one from a refrigerator or chest freezer. As long as the hvac is not set to defrost, the compressor should stay off.

The air around us is 78% nitrogen, and the other 22% is a bunch of other gases of similar density. From what I have read, the only advantage to N2 is that it's dry - no moisture. The other boasts about it not changing pressure as much with temp change seems to be nonsense.

Move the lever from D over to the manual gate and bump forward to upshift when you want. The gearing on the 2016 is a wider ratio in 1-3 than the last gen, although 4-5-6 are the same ratio. With the wider spread, the computer will want to bring the rpm up high enough that it doesn't bog down when it gets to the taller ratio. My gas-only Elantra has similar ratios and I will usually shift at 7, 15, 22, 30, and 44. The computer will balk at shifts below those numbers, except for the 1-2. You can actually start in 2nd if you wanted to - there is no minimum speed for that shift.

Since there is no torque converter, I think the programming is there to keep the electric motor spinning faster rather than low-rpm lugging in higher ratios where it would suffer from a lot of heat buildup. Running with the theory that the higher shift points are there to protect the drive motor, the shift points would likely be lower when the engine is running and adding additional torque to the transaxle input.

10. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

My wife has the 2015 Sonata Sport 2.4 gasser. MaxxMPG is on it with the shifter to upshift faster. However, in ECO mode, I can hold the pedal pretty high and it will shift at 2K rpm or lower depending on the input of the pedal. Sport will be tight and aggressive in the shifting and hold the gears longer. Normal is somewhere in between.

The HVAC, as Maxx stated should stay out of the compressor if you cycle through the modes to show the Deforst and foot one. The only time it should turn the compressor on is when you press the Defrost button for the front. It will turn all air to the defrost outlets and turn the compressor on and turn up the fan as well (seems sill to me). But looks like that is how they gave us control if we wanted the compressor on or not in defrost mode.

I love the sweet ride. It is smooth, quite and comfortable. Also has a lot of space. For ours we get in the mid 30's, which isn't that bad for such a large car, so yours is getting 15-20 more MPGs. I know some prius owners that would envy your MPG's and your doing it in a larger prob more comfortable ride.:p

11. rhwinger

'Move the lever from D over to the manual gate and bump forward to upshift when you want. The gearing on the 2016 is a wider ratio in 1-3 than the last gen, although 4-5-6 are the same ratio. With the wider spread, the computer will want to bring the rpm up high enough that it doesn't bog down when it gets to the taller ratio. My gas-only Elantra has similar ratios and I will usually shift at 7, 15, 22, 30, and 44. The computer will balk at shifts below those numbers, except for the 1-2. You can actually start in 2nd if you wanted to - there is no minimum speed for that shift.'

Thanks for the informative response Chris. I tried moving the shift lever over and bumping forward, but it didn't seem to respond. I didn't know if being in Eco mode had anything to do with a possible computer override, or something similar. With no tach, it's all seat of the pants feel. The Scanguage ODB connector is so large that the lower dash trim panel can't be reinstalled, so this is kind of a PITA.

The climate control system is in Econ mode, I will pop the hood and try toggling the switch. I remember being surprised by the compressor operating in heat mode on the HCHII. ;-)

Still at 32 PSI in the tires. Will press them up after I borrow an Ultragage, as I am getting quirky numbers with the ScanGage. I thought I read somewhere that the UltraGage was a lot smarter at going out on the bus, providing an easier setup. I'm looking to see if I can take a measured approach to all this so that I might be able to say 'Tires to 40 PSI is goof for X MPG, adding a block heater is good for another X MPG, etc...'

At least it was only foggy this morning-no rain. I just turned off the cabin fan and cracked the windows a bit. 61.8 mpg on the way in this morning.

Sometimes I miss the Civic John. When I get too melancholy, I just turn up the volume on the Infinity sound system a bit. It may not quite be the same as the B & O system in the A7, but for $3K less - it's close enough. ;-)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bob

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Bob,

I have had a few cars that I missed and even a couple that I regretted selling. I will say that our current stable makes me extremely happy, but I still wonder some days how I ended up with two, two seaters.

13. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

If the upshift request is being ignored, it's a safe bet that it's there to protect the motor or battery from excessive load. In the Elantra 1.8L - same basic setup as the 2.0L in the hybrid - it will let me shift to 5th at 30mph but the converter will unlock if any real acceleration is requested. Since the HSH has no converter to unlock, it won't likely allow that shift at that speed.

As the weather cools and traffic patterns change during the holidays, there will be more variables in play than tire pressure. The car does respond as expected to a boost in pressure, and if my sister's '14 KOH is any indication, the ride remains somewhat compliant even when running closer to Challenge Pressure.

In the '16 HSH, does it allow engine-off NICE-on's or does it retain the programming error and crank up the ICE when you bump to neutral?

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chris and Bob:

It retains the 13/14/15 programming and ICE-On with a shift to N. However, Glides are still available and a lot easier than in the 13/14/15s with a soft foot dancing between Power and Regen.

And bring pressure up to 60 psi. It will make those Korean tires last a whole lot longer. ;)

I have to continually drive with soft pressures in the weekly press cars and I cannot stand the loosey goosey tire squirm feel. :(

Wayne

15. rhwinger

So the service manager says they fill customer tires with N2 w/o charge. I asked him if they would go to 40 PSI. He said sure. I guess we will start with that.

I'm kinda liking the quiet ride on 32 PSI.

Yesterday it was kinda damp and cold. I actually turned on the seat heaters for myself and Marjorie. Guess I'm getting soft. Shhh...don't tell Wayne. ;-)

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bob:

Arrggghhhh!!! :)

Don't watch this! ;)

Wayne

17. rhwinger

Recently the car was warmed up with about 35 miles of afternoon driving. Had to refuel, so the odo resets when you open the fuel door. It was 19 miles from the gas station to my next destination, temps in the mid 70's and favorable traffic flow & speeds for 'what can I do' session with just DWL and such. I was pleased with the 76 mpg result. Tanks seem to be coming in at the mid 50's now, but mornings can still be a little chilly, so hoping for better tanks in the coming months. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Bob
    [​IMG]

xcel and JonNC like this.
  18. rhwinger

I'll tell ya Prozac, I am very happy with this car. I feel the Sonata Limited (Technology package) delivers about 80% of the A7 - at a considerably lower price point. As for the sound system, I recently ripped/burned/fried - whatever it is - a bunch of CD's from my ancient collection to a USB stick. I am amazed at the quality of sound from the Infinity system. I hear subtle sounds that I completely missed with other systems in the past. Ask Wayne - I'm always texting him, thanking him for putting me into this car. ;-)

xcel and Prozac like this.
  19. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Good to hear, sounds like they might have worked out the problems of earlier models. I had a 2012 and mileage left a lot to be desired. I just looked and my overall average was only .7 miles per gallon better than my 295 HP GTI, and I drive the GTI hard.

xcel likes this.
  20. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Bob,

That right there has moved it to my list of "must test drive". I am possibly transitioning out of the military if the job that I just interviewed chooses me. The wife has told me that we are not currently buying, but I should test drive all of the vehicles that I've always drooled over. She has even set a very nice budget, so I have been looking at a lot of sport luxury and luxury type vehicles (used and new). I have scratched a lot off of my list due to mpgs or horrid reliability. (I already knocked off VW due to the major turbo and heater core issues) I really want something that is quiet, has memory seats (wife 5'4", me 6'2"), good driving dynamics (means something different to different people), and a nice stereo to listen to my classical while doing road trips. Thanks for such an enlightening review and I am glad that you like your car so much.

rhwinger likes this.