Elio Motors brings refined 84 mpg P5 trike to LA

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by JohnM, Nov 20, 2015.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

Elio is on a quest to bring a highly efficient, low-cost vehicle to market, and we saw the latest steps toward progress at the LA Auto Show this week. Most notably, this took the shape of the new P5 prototype vehicle at the Elio booth. Oh, and we saw progress in the fact that Elio is no longer down in the basement of the convention center, but in the sunlit area upstairs. As you can see, this new model is a bit sleeker and a lot more put together than the P4 version we saw in New York earlier this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/19/elio-motors-p5-trike-la-2015-video/

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi John:

I was speaking to Sebastian about this when we together at the Elio Motors Venue on Thursday morning.

I was showing him the connectors and lines. The from scratch 3-cyl. is just not ready for prime time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Wayne, can you say more about the engine, please?

Did you get to sit in the front (and back?) of the P5?

I hear they will be building ~24 of these P5's for road testing, and for crash testing.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Neil:

It is a one-off 3-cylinder built by the Elio team. A lot of screw clamps on the fuel side that will not make for a reliable long term solution.

Wayne

5. NeilBlanchard

I think they have at least 2 of the new engines - the one in the P5 (which looks rough in places) and the one on the display stand. They did a lot of dyno testing, so that is probably at least one more?

They also admit to getting "just" 81.6 MPG, so the 84MPG claim will have to be dropped, I would think.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/19/elio-motors-p5-trike-la-2015-video/

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The 80 MPH portion of the EPA highway testing will hurt this one-liter a LOT.

7. NeilBlanchard

Why will it hurt it? It is quite a bit lower drag than most vehicles, lower even than most two seat vehicles.