2016 Toyota Prius First Drive Review - First Drive Results

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Nov 18, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Bill Faye, Group VP and GM of Toyota Motor Sales

There have been three cars that have impressed me this year. The 2015 VW Jetta TDI, 16 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid PHEV and now the 2016 Toyota Prius.

There is a new technology king in town and it is called Prius.

2016 Prius Trim Pricing

Prius Two|$24,200
    Prius Two Eco|$24,700
    Prius Three|$26,250
    Prius Three Touring|$28,100
    Prius Four|$28,650
    Prius Four Touring|$30,000
    Retail prices above excludes $835 D&H.

How about a city run with a 220' climb while behind the wheel of the NiMH equipped II trim, a 100' descent all-highway drive with the II Eco, Calibration drive to downtown San Diego and back, Steady States, and a no holds barred WTH is this thing worth at its absolute limits city drive...

Just saying.

We are all living in the real golden age of the automobile. Enjoy the drive my friends, enjoy the drive...

Here are a few more drive details about the all-new 2016 Toyota Prius.

Let us start here.

The base audio is vastly improved over the POS system we have in our Prius PHEV. Much more modern infotainment, vastly improved displays(s), better driver ergonomics - a sore point with me as most here know, much better ride and handling characteristics, quieter at all speeds, far less Engine On/Off transition NVH - barely perceptible now, 70 mph glide, super-fast MG1 charging, EV use is not a penalty at higher speeds anymore and efficiency beyond stupid. The pricing - $24,700 for the II Eco is not bad either!

My only real shortfall was that hard plastic interior all around and straight line performance.

Regarding 2016 Toyota Prius handling on the autocross course with chicanes and obstacle avoidance, it buries my weak handling Prius PHEV-11. Better steering feel albeit still vague, much less body roll and impact harshness, so much quieter during acceleration and generally just so much better of a car. Not a Golf R but half way between the old lackluster handling Prius and a Golf R. ;)

Directly above, Toyota’s Heather Willis provides the trim and tech detail. Within I added overlays adding my own commentary. The second is Prius Safety Sense with Brian Williams. The third is the conclusion of the presentation with Bill Faye and the Q&A afterwards.

[​IMG]

2016 Toyota Prius II with the older NiMH 20+ mile all-city/suburban drive

[​IMG]

Our first drive was in a 16 Prius II base model with the older and less efficient NiMH pack. 54/50 mpgUS city/Highway.

94.1 mpg indicated or 94.9 actual mpg - See the calibration drive below. This drive consisted of a 220' climb (add 2.2 miles to the total distance for that) over 22.0 miles (22.47 miles actual) and 6 to 2 bars SoC (subtract 0.8 miles) -- 22.47 miles + 1.4 miles = 23.87 miles on 0.237 gal = 100.7 mpg actual. Interesting for a first drive...

2016 Toyota Prius II Eco 20+ mile all-highway drive...

[​IMG]

Highway Drive in II Eco: 101.3 mpg over 20.4 miles indicated. 102.2 mpg actual over 20.8 miles actual. With a 100' descent (subtract 1 mile) and 6 to 5 bars SoC (subtract .2 miles), actual mpg on 0.2035 gal and over 19.6 miles = ~ 96.3 mpg actual. Not bad for an all-highway drive with another journalist on board and two stops. One across a dirt and gravel road for pics and another at Vista Point.

Where does all of the offsets come from?

2016 Toyota Prius II Eco Calibration drive

[​IMG]
    Topped her off and reset everything at a Shell in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. Notice the elevation.​

A quick stop at the USS Midway Museum in downtown San Diego with the “Greatest Generation” memorials and “The Kiss” statue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At 02:00 am, why not? ;)

[​IMG]
    Calibration second top off fill at the Shell on Leucadia and the I5 in Leucadia, Calif.

[​IMG]
    Notice the final elevation. Never thought I would see the start and finish the same at two different Shell’s.​

Calibration drive results: 89.6 mpg over 92.8 miles indicated. 94.8 miles actual on 1.042 gal = 90.4 mpg actual. Temps from 39 to 47 degrees F with calm winds.

2016 Toyota Prius II Eco 20+ mile what is this thing really worth?

[​IMG]

The Max City Effort yielded an indicated 145.8 mpg over 21.3 miles - 147.1 mpg actual over 21.8 miles. SoC fell from 6 to 2 bars (subtract 0.8 miles from the total distance) so 21.0 miles on 0.14819 gal = 141.7 mpg actual. Taking 30' elev. descent into account - Surfers were parked at the start/stop point so I snapped the pic about three blocks from the parking area on the fly, 20.7 miles on that same fuel for a 139.7 mpg actual result. This blasts the Gen II and especially the Gen III Prius completely off the map.

Which leads to the overnight hour steady states…

[​IMG]
    Ready to roll for another long night ahead on Southern Calif. Interstates. Standard LEDs on all trims lead the way.

2016 Toyota Prius II Eco Speed vs. Fuel Economy

[​IMG]

Temps from 52 to 57 degrees F with winds from the west at 5 to 10 mph on the NB and SB runs. The EPA Highway (53 mpg) Crossover occurs at 67.7 mph. Speedometer reads 1 mph over at all speeds between 50 and 70 mph. And finally the RPM at 60 mph (ScanGauge) read 1,200 to 1,900 RPM depending on minor ascents and descents.

[​IMG]

Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

A little on the 2016 Toyota Prius' Safety Sense...

2016 Prius Safety Sense with Brian Williams, Toyota Product Sales and Engagement

Wayne

3. xcel

Hi All:

I am embedding these in the initial post and here is Bill Fay's conclusions and the Q&A afterwards...

Wayne

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wayne , are the steady-state tests done with cruise control ? I don't remember. Also , is it E10 fuel ? What tire pressure "might" you have been using ?

5. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Don't shoot me, but I have never actually driven a Prius. How is the visibility in this newest version. It looks like they have squished the windows in the back even more than the previous generation.

The reason that I ask is because this is one of my biggest gripes with the CR-Z. I have learned to cope with it, but teaching my son how to drive it compared to our XV-Crosstrek has proved difficult to say the least.

I will say that the front end looks like it is a smiling Pokemon character.

6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Wow...shocking numbers at least for me. Nice to see the handling is being addressed, even amongst the Prius owners at ToyotaNation there's still a lot of grumbling about the driving feeling more like a Kenmore/Microsoft love child.

The side profile got cleaned up a lot (kinda Volt-esque, very sleek and fairly clean), but it's funny Pokemon was mentioned as I was just thinking the front and rear still look like they were penned by anime cartoonists. I think I'll still sit the Prius atop my ugliest new cars list, but until I see one in person I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Oh but those numbers...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Interesting that the calculated mpg's are higher than what the car displays. That's a first for Prius?

8. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Can this take out a Gen 1 Insight?

Can't wait to see the Gen 2 Prius C Eco ? Can it hit 65mpg EPA? Let see in 2018.

9. xcel

Hi All:

Good Housekeeping Named the Toyota Prius Two Eco the ‘Best New Hybrid’

The Award will appear in the February issue, on newsstands now.

2017 Toyota Prius II-ECO

[​IMG]

While "buzz" is surrounding both the 2017 Kia Niro and the upcoming 2017 Hyundai Ioniq, there is still one vehicle that has proven itself again and again as shown above. That being the hyper efficient 4th Gen, 2016/2017 Toyota Prius.

The Good Housekeeping Institute worked with Car and Driver to screen more than 100 new vehicles, narrowing it down to the top 25 for further scrutiny. After driving over 1,200 miles on test tracks and open roads, engineers from the GHI Labs and consumer testers rated cars on value, safety, smoothness, handling, interior design and comfort and onboard technology.

Good Housekeeping:

ALS and BillLin like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

It's STILL hard to beat a Toyota hybrid.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

I'm pretty happy with mine. This is driving home from Wal Mart last night, all surface streets-no highway. (Yet the ingrateful car only gave me a score of 78)
    [​IMG]

deregezen, BillLin and xcel like this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

Finally, a production version 2017 Toyota Prius Two Eco is arriving in the drive tomorrow!

Wayne

13. thunderstruck

Hoping the Prime hits showrooms one of these days.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  14. thunderstruck

Did even better tonight. For those in the Chicago area-left Wal Mart Addison. North on Rohlwing to Devon, Devon east to York, York north to Touhy, Touhy east to Mount Prospect, Mount Prospect Road north to Sam's Club on Oakton. Light traffic, was able to time most lights to I rolled through. Hit a few though, but still. The Prius amazes me every time I try to milk the mileage. It it wasn't for those darned red lights I would have been ended at 120, which I actually saw at one point.
    [​IMG]

xcel, kbergene, BillLin and 1 other person like this.
  15. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Please let us know what the difference is to mpg's in which the car's computer generates and the old fashion method, miles divided by gallons at the gas pump. I know after 152,000 miles our 2010 Prius is always over stating the mpg's obtained on the computer. Last fillup the computer read 48.6 mpg, actual calculated, same fillup method etc. was 45.3 mpg, that is nearly 7% difference, and this is consistent, more so in the winter, and less so in the summer.

I know Toyota continued to over state mpg's via the Prius computer with the later models, 2011-2015. Now our 2016 Chevy Volt is right on the money, usually understating mpg's. Just on gas last trip nearly 100 miles gas only miles, the computer read 48.9 mpg, which when calculated at the pump will probably be over 50 mpg.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  16. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I see Toyota is dropping the price of the new plug in version by 10% in England.

http://insideevs.com/toyota-prius-plug-in-gets-a-big-price-drop-in-uk-ahead-of-launch/

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

I know those roads well. Saturday afternoon I left Elk Grove Village on my bike around noon , did 22 miles on the Salt Creek Trail , and only used two pints of liquid fuel (Church Street Brewing , Itasca). My Gen 3 car doesn't display over 99.9 MPG , but I've only hit that one time.

18. EdwinTheMagnificent

Alster , my Gen 3 car has shown a pretty consistent over-report of about 7%. To get an honest 50 MPG , I'd have to have 53.5 displayed. Some people say 5%. It irritated me at first, now I just use a .93 factor when I document my numbers in the Daily Grind.

19. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's me. Other people report other numbers in the range of maybe 2-9%, but the error is always in the same direction, as far as I've seen or heard.

xcel likes this.
  20. xcel

The Road to the #ShellEcoMarathon in Detroit runs through Chicago. This time in a 2017 Toyota Prius Two Eco.

I flew into Chicago’s Midway and picked up a standard production based 2017 Toyota Prius Two Eco. Immediately afterwards I drove the from Midway to the IL/WI border, down the Stevenson (I-55) to the infamous Dan Ryan and Kennedy (I-94) - home to some of the worst traffic in the country - and up the Edens (Rt. 41) to the IL/WI border. A few stops to pick up groceries did not hurt either.

2017 Toyota Prius Two Eco

[​IMG]
    Chicago’s Sears/Willis Tower back drop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 2017 Prius Two Eco’s first drive looks pretty good.​

4-bars of SoC to three and 109.0 mpg over 61.5 miles indicated - 62.8 actual miles - is not bad for this premiere hybrid...

Just over 24-hours ago we took on the drive from the IL/WI border – The Shell on Rt. 41 in Wadsworth a few miles from the border actually - to the Shell Eco-Marathon in Detroit itself.

[​IMG]
    Calibration drive begins - Topped off and displays reset.​

The std. 3-hours to travel 76.5 miles through the Chicago rush incl. under Lake Michigan to the IL/IN border yielded 112.2 mpg indicated.

[​IMG]

The short stretch of IN to the IN/MI border and Michigan Visitor Center saw the Prius Two Eco climb to 114.8 mpg over 114.3 miles indicated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ran into heavy rain between Albion and Ann Arbor – just over 50 miles – which saw the Prius Two Eco fall to just 109.7 mpg indicated at the low.

When I arrived at the Crowne Plaza across from the Cobo Center where the Shell Eco-Marathon is being held in downtown Detroit, the Prius Two Eco displayed 111.2 mpg over 326.5 miles indicated, 333.1 actual miles. That second drive was through about 50 miles of very heavy rain though central Michigan too!

2017 Toyota Prius Two Eco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will complete the calibration top off fill on Sunday or Monday before leaving Detroit.

The Prius Two Eco is going for approximately $21k + TTL after the rebates and dealer discounts. In addition, the entire 2017 Prius lineup includes the Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) systems standard. This includes the Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection; Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist; Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Automatic High Beams.

The Toyota Radar CC is the best in the business and I am giving the Auto LED High Beams an A for both the lights color, reach, and real world fast action between high and low beams and back.

Wayne

Jay, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.