Can "broken" SG cause "check engine light"

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by phoebeisis, Nov 12, 2015.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Some of you have followed my 98 suburban-PO300 random misfire "service engine soon yellow idiot light mesage"
    bad off idle stumble-mpg suddenly down about 10-15%
    Cured by new cap and rotor

Well this am-in the rain-suddenly yellow idiot message"service engine soon" is on again
    It happened while I had my "broken" SG plugged in
    By broken-it literally is writing "broken words"-rpm might be rim
    or something "funny symbols"
    or it just "goes blank screen"

Car-running fine-no miss-(but I didn't change ancient plugs or ancient wires-so possible it is missing to some tiny extent)
    and I DIDN'T really bottom out the 20 Torx screws-holding cap on
    because I suspect the idiot who did some work for me-cross threaded the hole-so I stopped screwing-but it didn't seem "tight enough" maybe not-but

PS-Got SG to work long enough to get PO420 CatCon- not a surprise since it was running rich for maybe 40-50 miles(not very long really-and mpg down just 10-15%??)
    anyway cleared code-I'll just wait and see what happens-
    It was very wet-but I doubt water spray can cool the cat-con enough to drop temp out of range-throw code
    but hope springs eternal-so...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

FOr some time I thought my Scangauge was broke, but then I noticed it went crazy when I hit a bump. I replaced the cable, and all my problems went away.

3. phoebeisis

08-Thanks
    Yes it is certainly my cable
    But mine is old-the cable--from memory of pulling back off- is hard wired in-soldered

And there is a bare wire-which isn't-and hasn't been-connected to ANYTHING- for 3 years
    So guessing it is some secondary ground
    which is OBVIOUSLY not essential-from memory which is tricky-but I'm pretty sure I didn't manage to get it to "stick to anything" even if I managed to "trap" it in the tiny plastic cabinet
    The on and off nature-sure indicated "bad connection"
    but such TINY WIRES- and my pitiful soldering skills(hell probably spelled soldering wrong)
    Besides it is a very old generation SG
    and I am a big fan of newest= best-est (despite loving my 98 guzzler-I would not want(to pay for) the most modern guzzler)

So maybe a new SG is in my future-but being a cheapskate
    I will eyeball the old one again
    4-5 years ago-when it "first broke" I took it out of its cabinet-
    looked at it-saw the not connected bare wire-
    put it back together-and it WORKED
    but it was NOTHING I intentionally did-perhaps I managed to trap that bare wire in a favorable position to make a connection??
    Yeah LUCK
    TAKE APART-STARE- get lucky
    The cave man school of repair-TAKE APART-UGH-PUT BACK TOGETHER-it works about 20% of the time-dumbest of dumb luck-but I'll take it
    Thanks
    Charlie

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I've used the cave man school of repair countless times, lol.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think you spelled "soldering" correctly. Or maybe we're both wrong. But hey, you're the teacher !

6. phoebeisis

On that note
    the SG worked well enough to give me a PO420 code again

Hmmm-poor france-the ALLAH ACKBAR folks will wear out their welcome
    Theys should keep in mind that the France's Germanic cousins-in living memory
    murdered probably 1 million of their own citizens Jews-who actually had no ill will toward Germany
    Imagine what they might do to folks who actually DO feel ill will toward them
    The French security forces did KILL BOMB greenpeace "people"
    so imagine what they might do to ACTUAL bag guys-
    The Germans were a civilized cultured people-and they pretty much unprovoked slaughtered millions of women and children-
    In the late 1950's-1960's the french security forces regularly tortured murdered french citizens-paratroopers etc-
    DAY OF THE JACKAL
    I have no doubt that in short order there will be lots of dead people
    and 1000's of muslims in jail
    perhaps someone will NUKE RAQQA