Hurricane Patricia Becomes Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded

Discussion in 'Weather' started by xcel, Oct 24, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hurricane Patricia to Make Landfall in Mexico Shortly: Latest Updates

Catastrophic Hurricane Patricia Making Landfall in Mexico; Patricia Becomes Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded

A potentially catastrophic landfall is now happening as a very powerful and dangerous Hurricane Patricia moves towards Mexico's Pacific coast. Hurricane Patricia became the most powerful tropical cyclone ever measured in the Western Hemisphere on Friday morning as its maximum sustained winds reached an unprecedented 200 mph.

The hurricane is making landfall in the Mexican state of Jalisco as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane capable of causing widespread destruction. Patricia is strongest hurricane to ever make landfall on that country's Pacific coastline.

[​IMG]

At 4 p.m. CDT, the eye of Hurricane Patricia was about 60 miles southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico with 190 mph sustained winds, and was moving north-northeast at 14 mph.

In addition to its unprecedented 200-mph sustained winds earlier Friday, Hurricane Patricia now holds the record for lowest pressure in any hurricane on record. With a minimum central pressure of 880 millibars (25.99 inches of mercury) at the 4 a.m. CDT advisory, Patricia broke the record of 882 millibars set by Wilma almost exactly 10 years ago. At the 1 p.m. CDT advisory the minimum central pressure was lowered to 879 millibars (25.96 inches of mercury).

Data from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter airborne reconnaissance mission late Thursday night provided critical data demonstrating the extreme intensification of Hurricane Patricia in near-real time. A new NOAA reconnaissance aircraft reached the eye of Patricia early Friday afternoon to gather additional direct measurements of the storm's intensity.

Unprecedented Among Pacific Hurricanes

Hurricane Patricia became the strongest Pacific hurricane on record shortly after midnight CDT early Friday. Air Force Hurricane Hunters had flown through the eye of Patricia and reported a sea-level pressure of 894 millibars as measured by a dropsonde inside the eye itself. Wind measurements suggested that the pressure measurement was not in the exact center of the eye and was probably not the absolute lowest pressure, prompting NHC to estimate the minimum central pressure at 892 millibars in its special 12:30 a.m. CDT ... [rm]http://www.weather.com/news/news/hurricane-patricia-landfall-mexico-latest-updates[/rm]

2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Hurricane Patricia was essentially a 30 mile wide tornado. With lots and lots of rain. Thankfully, it broke up (when it ran into the mountains?) and "only" rained. I wonder how Texas is fairing after the second major rainfall in a week.

South Carolina is still recovering from all the rain they got ~2 weeks ago.

3. xcel

Hi Neil:

Good analogy. I have been watching the Texas News yesterday and today and they got smashed with rain.

Saw a locomotive tipped over in Texas on the news Yesterday. Let me see if I can find it.

Wayne

4. xcel

Hi Dave:

Hurricane Patrica rain tips over a locomotive in Texas

[​IMG]

Wayne

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

We didn't get the worst here, but my bucket has 10 inches of water in it. After 4 months of zero rain, this is welcome and way too much both at the same time.

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Andrew-how are the various reservoirs doing in TX??
    Did the worse drought areas get some relief-
    after this deluge and the one a few weeks back??

Perhaps CA will get "well" drought wise-with this EL NINO-
    but guessing the HUGE RAINS not as effective as steady heavy snow
    we'll see

Funny aside-one Bush said Jeb would win "because of his fierce competiveness "
    Yeah Jeb- a real animal-
    I love this republican primary process-very entertaining
    Dems-with Hillary-dull and not particularly likable- certainly not Bill !

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

My personal reservoirs, ponds on my land, are flowing over. They were 18" low (small pond) and 12" low (big pond) before this week.

The nearest large reservoirs are now full.

Statewide the reservoirs are up from 77% to 81% full. West Texas still needs more.