2016 Tucson Eco vs CX-5 Touring

Discussion in 'General' started by JonNC, Oct 22, 2015.

1. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

As a purely theoretical exercise, if one had to choose between the two, which would be the better option?

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200745462|suv&veh2=200726400|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2093739

One has a big engine that can behave like a little engine (SkyActive) and the other has a little engine that can behave like a bigger engine (GDI Turbo).

They have the same EPA ratings of 26/33/29.

Living and driving in a hilly terrain, I can't help but think that the 195 ft lbs of torque from 1500-4500 would really come in handy.

What say ye?

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re : 2016 Tucson Eco vs CX-5 Touring

Hi Jon:

As you know I am a big fan of the Hyundai ECO drive train in everything it is in. I am also a big fan of the well executed Mazda CX-5.

CX-5 for solid performance and proven efficiency, segment leading design and well thought out cargo volume. Not a fan of the 2.5L in the mid and higher trims vs. the original 2.0L in everything and it is pricey as hell.

Tucson for good performance, segment beyond interior appointments - back lit switches, standard equipment even on the base trims - and fantastic pricing is always available.

Given the all-new Tucson is essentially only a few months out of the gate, if you can wait until after the new Year, I bet $4k off + will not be out of the question. Mazda does not have the ability to discount like that.

I have a Tucson - non ECO variant - arriving in a few minutes and it will be my first lengthy drive in one.

2016 Hyundai Tucson

[​IMG]

2016 Hyundai Tucson Preview

2016 Mazda CX-5

[​IMG]

2016 Mazda CX-5 Mild Refresh and Pricing Announced

CleanMPG Reviews the 2013 Mazda CX-5

Wayne

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

CX-5 because it has Mazda suspension and stick shift.

4. JonNC

Well, the CX-5 Touring features their traditional 6 speed automatic.
    The Tucson Eco features the new-ish 7 Speed DCT.
    The Tucson has the same powertrain as the Sonata Eco, fyi.

As far as suspension/handling, I would wait for Wayne's test drives of the two as he is more than thorough.

If this were to move from a theoretical exercise to reality, I have the advantage of being able to test drive both at the same dealership and I would probably pre-plan a good test loop.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jon:

I have not driven it yet but the 16 Tucson Limited sitting in the drive is very attractive if such a description can be assigned to a CUV.

Wayne

6. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I'm with Andrew: CX-5 Touring with the 2.0MT drivetrain. 35mpg highway IIRC.

7. JonNC

I have now pretty much abandoned this idea.
    The problem is Hyundai's insistence on making their Eco trims a little too spartan for my tastes (for the price) and not even offering any further options.

My sights have turned to something else in the line up.
    Something that goes vroom, or not depending on the circumstances.

:D

Now all that would have to happen is for Hyundai to loose it fricken mind and offer an insane amount of bonus cash.

I can wait.

:cool:;)