Adjusting parking brake on an 08 FEH 4WD?

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Oct 20, 2015.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I just failed my state safety inspection, the parking brake needs adjustment. Anyone know how to do that? I didn't see any adjusters on the cable under the vehicle.

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Well, after not coming up with anything, I decided to figure it out for myself, then make a YouTube video to help others out.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/KuqoDFmryTE?version=3[/flash]

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Most drum brales have an auto-adjuster mechanism, something that will turn that cogged wheel a bit, whenever there's excess clearance. Watching the video nothing like that was readily apparent though, so not sure with your case. It does seem a little odd for a modern vehicle to require manual adjustment. Maybe google a bit more, look for service manual excerpt.

A caution: I'd strongly recommend to find the rear central jack point (hopefully there is one), raise the whole rear of the vehicle, and put in SAFETY STANDS at the two scissor jack lifting points. Having the corner on just the scissor jack, and then fighting with bolts, while your knee occassionally strayed UNDER the brake: risky.

Also, when loosening lug nuts prior to jacking up, you really just need to loosen them about half way, not so loose that you can turn them with fingers. Good to keep a little tension on the bolts.