Tesla Model S Autonomous Driving SW update - Do Not Use!

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Oct 20, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Do not dare use it while the rest of us are on the road.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/v/MrwxEX8qOxA?version=3[/flash]

Wayne

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Yikes. Not quite ready for prime time?

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

The cars can now partially drive themselves.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Let's see how much the Internet likes Google autonomous cars , or anyone's. The answer to a question that EYE certainly didn't ask. Harumph.

Do people really hate driving so much that they'd leave it to computers and easily-hacked software ? I am not sure who is pushing this agenda. I smell a whopping big conspiracy.

5. elem

elem Well-Known Member

Hi

It is not yet ready, but they released some features early with the proviso that the driver is legally responsible.
    For highway driving on well marked roads it seems okay. But you are supposed to keep your hands slightly touching the wheel.

As I find sitting in the passenger seat pure torture with a driver who behaves differently from me, I guess you have to understand how it will react to different road situations. But from the videos I have seen it looks predictable.

Tesla did a good job and I hope they come to Taiwan soon. Have managed to convince the wife to buy one
    Good Luck
    Andrew

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Sure. Predictable , right up to that moment when you take your eyes off the road for a few seconds. And you KNOW folks will do that. The naïve folks who absolutely trust technology with their lives.

Love Tesla , hate the idea of self-driving cars.

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Until I read this I've never bothered to visualize sitting in the driver's seat while the car does all the work. It makes me squirm!

8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I see potential for this technology. Imagine how well traffic could flow IF cars could travel in tandem and not fight each other to be the "leader". There can be groups of people who want to travel at 80 MPH. Let 'em. Others may want to travel in a group that's doing synchronized P&G , 40-60 MPH. Let 'em. People would have to check their egos at the door and have an INSANE amount of trust in the tech. I will be watching this , but personally don't expect to see this happening in my lifetime.

10. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I think within 10 years, the technology will be a reasonably competent driver. It can learn and improve quickly, as there are numerous teams of people working on making it better, and all the data that all the cars collect can be used to improve in the next generation. This was an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiwVMrTLUWg