FE Challenge 31 - Fall 2015

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Presenting the "Fall" 2015 Challenge, running from October 1 through December 31

[​IMG]

This is the thirty first episode of our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. Fall has arrived and the weather is changing but the EPA will be beaten! The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: Feb - May 2008 Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: Jun - Aug, 2008 Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sep - Nov 2008 Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009 Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)
    V: Mar - May 2009 Winners: lnmcmahan (A), nissynis (B), Damionk (C)
    VI: June - Sep 2009 Winners: cpeter38 (A), froggman (B), Taliesin (C), Kacey Green (marathon)
    VII: Oct - Dec 2009 Winners: cpeter38 (A), Swineone (B, Marathon), some_other_dave (C)
    VIII: Jan - Mar 2010 Winners: GaryG (A), Sulfuric (B), jimepting (C, highest mpg), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Winter)
    IX: Apr - Jun 2010 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), jimepting (B), LinuxGold (C), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Highest MPG)
    X: Jul - Sep 2010 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), VegasDude (B), some_other_dave (C), tpmjr2004 (Marathon)
    XI: Oct - Dec 2010 Winners: VegasDude (A), Sulfuric (B), epurvee (C), Mr. Pancake (Marathon, Winter)
    XII: Jan - Mar 2011 Winners: GaryG (A), FSUspectra (B), Mr. Pancake (Winter)
    XIII: Apr - Jun 2011 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), KiloDelta (B), basjoos (Marathon)
    XIV: Jul - Sep 2011 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), hyperme (B), 2009PriusChat (C), basjoos (Marathon)
    XV: Oct - Dec 2011 Winners: RightLaneCruiser (A), 2009PriusChat (B), Gord (C), Mr. Pancake (Marathon)
    XVI: Jan - Mar 2012 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), Die2self (B), SD3_Driver (C), RightLaneCruiser (Winter), FXSTi (Marathon)
    XVII: Apr - Jun 2012 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), Gord (B), FXSTi (C, Marathon)
    XVIII: Jul - Sep 2012 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), FSUspectra (B), some other dave (C)
    XIX: Oct - Dec 2012 Winners: Gord (A), tpmjr2004 (B), waltermlee (C)
    XX: Jan - Mar 2013 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), SD3_Driver (B), greendriver (C, Marathon)
    XXI: Apr - Jun 2013 Winners: Gord (A), SD3_Driver (B), jcp123 (C), waltermlee (Marathon)
    XXII: Jul - Sep 2013 Winners: Die2self (A), waltermlee (B), Bigspender007 (C, Marathon)
    XXIII: Oct - Dec 2013 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), SD3_Driver (B), jcp123 (C), ishtmail (Marathon)
    XXIV: Jan - Mar 2014 Winners: Gord (A), SD3_Driver (B), JonNC (C), timw4mail (Marathon)
    XXV: Apr - Jun 2014 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), SD3_Driver (B), JonNC (C)
    XXVI: Jul - Sep 2014 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), jcp123 (B), TheStepChild (C), timw4mail (Marathon)
    XXVII: Oct - Dec 2014 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), jcp123 (B), timw4mail (C, Marathon)
    XXVIII: Jan - Mar 2015 Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), lxmike (B), timw4mail (C, Marathon)
    XXIX: Apr - Jun 2015 Winners: Gord (A), jcp123 (B), TheStepChild (C), timw4mail (Marathon)
    XXX: Jul - Sep 2015 Winners: Die2self (A), Gord (B), timw4mail (C, Marathon)

How to Join
    To participate in this Fuel Economy Challenge, all you have to do is the following:
    • Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. Please use a new log and leave the previous challenge logs as-is until the results are finalized and a post is made saying logs can be recycled if you choose to do so.

Once finalized, the previous vehicles can be deleted.
    • Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    • Drive
    • Post in this thread with updates. No need to start with a fresh fill, just include the fills that fall within the challenge months. There is no minimum mileage or number of fill-ups, only a request for no single-tank entries. We want complete daily driving records, not cherry-picked entries.
    • Entries will be accepted for one month, after which the participation list will be final.
    • Report your final fill within 7 days past the end of the challenge.
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically by CleanMPG staff members.
    [*]If you recycle your log, please do not do so until the final results are posted and the go-ahead is given for the next challenge.

Handicaps
    For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy. If you are using a handicap, please list it when you announce your participation.
    • Electric Handicap: Using 33.7kWh = 1 gallon, reduce your EPA ratings by multiplying by 0.75. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.
    • Hybrid Handicap: Reduce your EPA ratings by multiplying by 0.85. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.
    • E10 Handicap: Reduce your EPA ratings by 3%, to match the reduced BTU of 10% ethanol.
    • Part-time E10: If you only sometimes use E10, log 3% less fuel used when you record that fill-up. Make a note in the comments for the tank. Example: "Last fill was E10. Pumped 10 gallons, logged 9.7 gallons". Use this adjustment for the fill that finishes the tank of E10 fuel, not when you put it in.
    • E85 Handicap: If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% (multiply by 0.75) and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.
    • Winter Handicap: if you're north of the Mason-Dixon line (or equivalent in other countries!) add a 10% (0.10 lower multiplier) handicap, e.g if you're driving a hybrid in the North in winter, your handicap will be 0.15 + 0.1 = 0.25 (*0.75).
    Which Division?
    Divisions A, B and C were created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.
    • If you were in the top 2 or 3 in your division, please consider moving up.
    • If you were near the bottom, consider moving down. Everything is more fun when the competition is close.
    • If you are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

Special classes:

• Marathon: If you drive lots of miles (1500+ a month or so), you belong here. (in addition to Div A, B or C. Sign up for both.)
    Official Standings
    Column1Column2Column3Column4
    .Division Driver Vehicle Handicaps
    A cpeter38 [​IMG] BEV
    A Die2self [​IMG] E10
    A PaleMelanesian [​IMG] E10
    B jcp123 [​IMG] E10
    B Gord [​IMG]
    B timw4mail [​IMG]
    B SD3_Driver [​IMG] Hybrid
    C TheFordFamily [​IMG]
    C JonNC [​IMG]
    C lxmike [​IMG]
    M timw4mail [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. Gord

Well I'm in and I'll go for Division 'B' again as I'm way off Division 'A' class in my new car. Hoping things will loosen up as I get a few miles on it, just crossed 2k this morning :D

I've added the handicaps for BEV's and winter driving as we discussed and agreed during the last challenge.

Maybe I need some sort of handicap too, I think the NEDC numbers for my car are way off..... ;):p

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm in for A. I filled up a couple days ago so I'm counting that for THIS challenge.

I'm also running E10 now. :( Is anyone NOT using E10, do we still need that handicap?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

I'm In (division A) !!!!!! Finally!!!!

My status as of 10/1 was:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Gord

errrr Craig ;)

Apparently in UK we have "up to" 5% Ethanol but "up to" 10% is permitted but has to be marked on pump and no-one has done it yet!

Welcome aboard again Andrew :D

6. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

7. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

I'm in!

Division C with no E-10 handicap as my local Shell has E-0 87 :p

[​IMG]

First tank already logged.

8. timw4mail

timw4mail Well-Known Member

I'll go for B and marathon:
    [​IMG]

Haven't bothered with the E10 handicap, not going to start now.

9. cpeter38

I'll update my current "tank" fairly often with the cumulative miles, kWh (and gallons of gas equivalent). I'm still debating about whether to start a new "tank" every week, 2 weeks, or month. Right now, I'm leaning towards every month. Whatever the final decision is, I will describe the current tank's status and what it means in the fill entry's notes.

10. cpeter38

BTW, I'm experimenting with a low energy method to prevent condensation on the windshield. If this is successful, I'll share the concept with y'all (if you promise not to laugh) ...

11. dixonge

dixonge Newb

uhhh............how do I make a new log?

12. Gord

Kitty litter?!!! :D

13. Gord

Hi dixonge.

If you want to make a new log, click on Mileage Logs (top right) and then click on Add Vehicle, put in your car's details, press Send and you're good to go!

If however, you want to recycle an existing log, click on Edit or Delete Vehicle and change name if required. Then click on vehicle name of the log you want to recycle, delete the existing tanks.

14. Gord

Welcome to the challenge, Jon, Craig, Tim, Jason and Andrew.

There's still time and room for more competitors....

First fill of the challenge for me last night:

Tank Stats

Miles on tank: 577.3 miles
    Galls US: 12.68 (3 clicks on pump)
    Calc. MPG : 45.51 MPG
    Calc. Range: 23.8 miles
    FCD Range: 20 miles
    FCD MPG : 47.3 MPG (3.8% higher than actual)
    UG MPG : 45.4 MPG (0.16% lower than actual)
    No. of trips: 34
    Average trip length: 17.0
    Days since last fill: 27
    % Commuting: 75.1% (Pretty high)
    Ave. Temperature: 58°F
    Ave. no. of people in car: 2.87
    Pmpg for the tank: 130.4

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  15. cpeter38

LOL, silica gel aka silicon dioxide aka crystal kitty litter. It definitely works, just need to develop a little circulation system to perfect it. I have old computer muffin fans that should be perfect. Silica gel without the muffin fan requires a 20 second shot of defrost for the morning drive.

16. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  17. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

In again, div. B hybrid...

18. Gord

Division 'B' is hotting up :D - welcome aboard James and SD3_Driver.

Any more competitors for 'C'? Jon is looking like a shoo-in for the win ;)

19. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

20. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Darnit!!!!
    I had it all wrapped up!

You and your big mouth Gord...

:D :D:Banane39::D:D