Why 400 dead at religious gathering in Mecca?

Discussion in 'Business and Economics' started by phoebeisis, Sep 24, 2015.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Why-How-do 717 plus people get killed in a stampede at a religious gathering in Mecca?

In NOLA we have large gatherings-probably several hundred thousand people on the streets

And every Saturday and Sunday 100,000 will pour out of stadiums all over the country-some of them are DRUNK-40 years ago-many many of them were drunk-but no SCORES of stampede deaths-hell rarely ANY deaths even in the 1960's 1970's when MOST of the students and spectators were drunk-some drunk and DRUGGED

Is this
    1)a 3rd world thing?- Saudi Arabia is a police state-but they can't control a crowd>
    2) A middle east thing?? hey they shoot high powered rifles in the air at various gatherings-stupid SOBs
    3)Is it a Muslim thing?? Pretty sure HUGE crowds gather at the Vatican
    Equally sure I have never heard of 717 roman catholics getting "stomped: to death"
    and the vatican-is OLD- not really built with crowds in mind
    but catholics are supposed to be on good behavior
    Muslims aren't??

Here is a cut-reviews recent mass stompings-(1400 dead in 1990??)

But tragedies are not uncommon.
    The death toll from Thursday's stampede far exceeded that of a similar incident in 2006, near the site of the latest incident, when more than 360 pilgrims were killed in a stampede. Another stampede at Mina in 2004 left 244 pilgrims dead and hundreds injured.
    The deadliest hajj-related tragedy happened in 1990, when at least 1,426 pilgrims perished in a stampede in an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel leading to holy sites in Mecca.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Re: Why 400 dead at religious gathering Mecca?

We do have our fair share of religious wackjobs. Ever see "Red State" ? A very interesting documentary.

3. phoebeisis

Edwin

Apparently the number is now 717 dead-
    WOW-just WOW

Oh I don't think this has too much to do with the religion-other than the religion apparently isn't "christian enough"
    1)in the turn the other cheek
    2)be kind to neighbor sense
    3)DON'T STOMP YOUR CO-RELIGIONIST TO DEATH WHILE WAITING IN LINE TO THROW PEBBLES AT THE DEVIL

This doesn't happen at the Vatican-despite HUGE gatherings in a space not designed with modern crowd safety in mind

Why does it happen -regularly-in mecca-but not the vatican
    Is it some difference in the religion?
    2)Or is it a 3rd world thing- "immediate family or clan is everything" everyone else-doesn't count no matter that we share a religion

My guess is it is a 3rd world-family/clan/tribe thing -if you aren't a member-you don't count.

Sure we have plenty of religious nuts-300 years ago we were still burning witches
    but this might be more a family/clan/tribe thing-not a religious thing

but why is this behavior UNLEAVENED by their religion??a peaceful loving religion?

Once again-all sorts of roman catholics gather in the vatican-3rd world etc-but they KNOW to be on best religious behavior-meaning don't stomp fellow roman catholics to death

seems like a pretty low bar for ANY religion-avoid killing your co-religionist while at the most important religious experience of your life??
    What kind of religion can't deliver something sooo basic??

Guess it is about religion-

4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

It is Gods will!!! He wanted those pilgrims in heaven where they belong!!

I guess also the millions of civilians which were incinerated during very profitable illegal hostility, that is still on going to further profit for share holders!

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I love living in a country where we are free to poke fun at religious wack-jobs.

6. phoebeisis

I noticed that ZERO NYNY were "stampeded" to death yesterday
    DESPITE 100,000's on the streets of NY to view the pope??

It really ISN'T hard to safely move large numbers of people
    Hell STOCKYARDS have done it-with HUGE creatures-forever
    Simple-don't have more than a reasonable number of people in an enclosure
    and make the enclosures-HARD- rigid fences-walls-fairly narrow-only let them in-in manageable nunbers
    so the pressure from the folks in the back-other enclosures-
    CAN'T be transmitted to the folks 100,000 people forward

Humans have been doing this for 1000's of years
    Saudi Arabia is RICH-they can certainly afford to build proper "pens"

Can't manage to not REGULARLY stampede your co-religionist to death-at the most important religious event in your life??

PriusCpilot- yes THAT was exactly what was said after the crane collapse last week-150 killed -lucky them

7. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Some years back they killed over 1400, so they have improved.

8. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Yea I was about to mention that. Lol but to many I'm sure that is not a good thing. To die in Mecca is glorious and the sky god him self reserves a special place for those who have perished there under such blessed sandals.

9. phoebeisis

Well
    maybe the Saudis should offer a package deal
    pilgrimage tent stone devil and then get KILLED in some grim way
    yeah maybe one of those travel sites could get in on it

It really isn't that hard to prevent this sort of thing
    the pens and chutes have to be HARD and with a limited capacity-

don't allow 50,000 people to walk straight into 50,000 people -

Japanese apparently are STUFFED onto trains-
    but they manage to not kill one another
    manners go a long way

Huge aside
    Oh I recently saw a forum cut-sent by "killer bird" loving friend
    Someone named Nadeen was whining about falcons on a UAE airline
    the airline allows falcons in the cabin-rather than just the hold(hooded and on arm of course)
    Yeah they allow passengers to bring 2 FALCONS per seat-if they want to bring more-
    they have to buy a second seat- 2 falcons-averaging 3 kg-per seat-maybe they have a portable perch for the 2 "seated" next to you??

Well this whiner-Nadeem- said he complained-but was ignored -and had a "miserable sad flight" -claimed it must have been a sheik with the falco(apparently anyone-sheik not sheik)

Now allowing falcons on board CONSIDERABLY improves my opinion of middle easterners

What did this guy think the falcon would do(hooded and on the owners arm)
    mistake him for a rabbit-??

Anyway seems like a good idea-why put your falcon in the hold of a plane in a god awful place like that
    Probably should allow dogs in cabins-here- also muzzled-but not in the hold
    Yeah wayne could have Pups share his seat-no worse than having to sit next to a 300 lbs USA-E-IN
    no doubt pups would have better manners