2016 Nissan Maxima First Drive Review

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 3, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Nissan is on track to move the industry with beautiful penned designs and efficiency now spanning their entire product lineup.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 1, 2015

2016 Nissan Maxima – $33,235 to start incl. the $825 D&H fee provides owners with a 22/30 mpgUS city/highway rating. It also arrives with NissanConnect with navigation, 8.0” touch-screen display, Remote Engine Start, and a RearView Monitor are all standard even on the base S trim.

What if I were to describe a sports sedan that was as comfortable as it is great to look at? What if I told you this sports sedan provides interior surrounds more fitting of a luxury car while offering similar ride quality. What if this sports sedan achieved the fastest lap at a race track near Bakersfield, Calif. while running against an Audi A4, Acura TLX and BMW 328i? And finally what if I said this sports sedan, equipped with a 300 hp 3.5L V6, was possibly capable of 40+ mpg out on the super slab. Would you take notice?

The 2016 Nissan Maxima is the brands new flagship offering style, performance and the latest amenities through five trims, S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum.

Probably the most important update the all-new 8th gen Maxima brought to the consumer is a size befitting of a modern sports sedan. Meaning almost 3 cu. ft. was added to the passenger volume, now rated at 98.6 cu. ft. The new Maxima is 1.3 inches lower and 2.2 inches longer than the previous gen. It is also 80 lbs. lighter, 25 percent stiffer, and safer with an across the board NHTSA 5-star crash test rating with caveats.

2016 Nissan Maxima Exterior

Nissan designers looked to the Blue Angels flight team and their F-18 Hornets for Sports Sedan inspiration.

Externally, the 2016 Maxima is lowered, streamlined and looks fast. The hood has a central raised arrowhead shape and two very sharp feature lines running inward from the A-pillars down the hood and tying into the thick 3-sided chrome grille trim with a large centered Nissan logo. Nissan calls it their V-Motion grille. Behind is a black plastic upper and lower grille matrix trimmed in this chrome dropping all the way down to the chin spoiler. Together they form a grille within a hexagon grille.

[​IMG]

From the top of the grille outwards, an LED DRL light bar ties the boomerang shaped wraparound lenses into the grille nicely. A lot of the sharp looking Murano like pieces here. Sculpted lower fascia into the fog lamps finish off what I believe to be the best looking face in the industry right now.

The Maxima’s signature 4-Door Sports Car heritage is shown as an inlay “4DSC” within the taillight reflectors and headlights. Kind of cool actually.

[​IMG]

From the profile, the hoods large arc over the wheels is duplicated with a feature line running from the center of the boomerang front lenses up, over and back down the fender arc to the center of the front door where it runs to the back into the center of the rear boomerang rear lenses.

Unique to the industry is a hexagonal like day light opening (windows) with a sweep up near the front and back with the lower beltline trimmed in chrome. Another unique chrome trim piece “jets” off the rear of the hexagon into the trunk opening. Thick blacked-out A, B and C pillars provide weight without being gaudy. The nice looking 18-inch alloys (19’s on the SR) fill the wheels nicely while a mild sculpted cutout of the sill completes the profile.

[​IMG]

Out back the rear boomerang tail lamps roll into a thick horizontal chrome strip with a smallish Nissan badge at the top of the lid. The lower diffuser incorporates the twin chrome tipped exhausts to complete the package.

Nissan took some chances and they succeeded. Especially up front. The profile while interesting may be a bit busy for some. Out back is the clean finished look culminating in a unique and very modern car assured to grab attention. If they would have moved to a laser welded roof to body seam, they would have nailed it!

2016 Nissan Maxima Interior

The jet fighter theme works its way inside with a driver centric wrap-around design. It is the luxurious material colors and contrasts however that make it a standout.

[​IMG]

The console features luxurious padding on the sides with genuine contrasting stitching on the instrument panel, upper door trim, full length of the center console and seats. The available leather seats – the only ones I drove – feature diamond-quilted inserts and the package is finished off with D-shaped (flat-bottom) steering wheel.

The interior is highlighted by a wide aluminum or wood look trim piece working through all four doors and across the center of the dash. The Aluminum like trim has a unique and very cool looking embedded 3D cross hatch. It would be my choice for the best interior color and trim. Soft touch where appropriate and cloth textured A-pillars and headliner check all the boxes.

[​IMG]

More driver centric, the center stack is angled seven degrees toward the driver with a console that sits higher than the previous generation.

A new jewel like cross etched Display Commander Control knob on the console allows fingertip control of the center display. This is a beautiful highlight!

[​IMG]
    Like a fine crafted watch.​

Nissan’s Zero Gravity front seats in cloth, leather or Ascot leather with sport bolstering are standard (8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and 4-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat). A new three-layer foam make them really comfortable! Heated and ventilated front seats and steering wheel in higher trims. The rear seat is a 60/40 split fold-down design.

[​IMG]
    Rear seat knee and headroom are a little tight for a 6’ + adults.​

The one thing that stands out is how quiet the all-new Maxima was thanks to sound insulating glass on both the windscreen and front windows and an Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system with the Bose audio system. Although I would never test it, the ANC system also adds engine sound. In “Sport” mode an even higher engine note is resonated within the cabin.

The only miscue I saw was the smallish LED map lights that have plagued all recent Nissan’s. Other than that, it is quiet, feels and looks luxurious, and is quiet.

2016 Nissan Maxima Trims

The S ($32,410) includes standard NissanConnect navigation with 8.0” display is paired with the 7.0” Drive Assist driver display, Remote Engine Start, Proximity key, Dual USB ports, SiriusXM and SiriusXM Travel Link apps, Google search, LED DRL light bar, 18” alloys, 8-way Power Driver Seat and 4-way Power Passenger Seat, Dual-Zone Auto climate, HomeLink Universal Transceiver plus more.

SV ($34,390) adds leather, heated front seats, driver power lumbar support and manual thigh support extension – yeah!!!, front and rear parking sensors and heated outside rearview mirrors with turn signal indicators.

SL ($36,890) adds the Dual Panel Panoramic Moonroof, Bose audio with 11 speakers, Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW), heated steering wheel and ambient lighting.

SR ($37,670) offers a sport-tuned suspension, Integrated Dynamics-control Module (IDM), a front chassis performance damper, premium Ascot leather seats with diamond-quilted Alcantara inserts, Heated and cooled front seats, Ascot leather-appointed steering wheel with Alcantara insert, paddle shifters, aluminum sport pedals, LED low beams.

The Platinum ($39,860) includes the Dual Panel Panoramic Moonroof, power tilt and telescoping wheel with engine off pull away, Ascot leather-appointed seats with diamond-quilted leather inserts, Ascot leather-wrapped wheel, Around View Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD), rear window power sunshade, driver-side memory seat, outside mirrors and steering wheel, rain detecting windshield wipers, Driver Attention Alert, NissanConnect Services, mahogany wood-tone faceted finishers, auto-dimming driver-side outside mirror, and outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature.

2016 Nissan Maxima Drivetrain

A revised 300 hp (up 10 hp from the previous gen) and 261 lb-ft. of torque 3.5L V6 – 60 percent of its parts are all-new – mated to the company’s latest D-Shift Xtronic wide ratio – 6.3:1 – CVT provides the oomph to drive this sports sedan to 60 in just over 5.5 seconds.

[​IMG]

Along with the new shift programming for a more appropriate acceleration feel, the new CVT shift logic holds higher rpm when it detects high-G cornering for improved acceleration response.

The 14 percent increase in efficiency was brought about by a 40 percent reduction in friction, a new oil pump, CVT chain and lower viscosity oil.

Another neat idea is when transitioning to Sport from Normal mode, throttle response increases, the Xtronic transmission programming changes for more aggressive shifting under braking and gear holding, the steering weight increases and the Active Noise Enhancement system amplifies the engine noise into the cabin.

Nissan expects 2/3 of the Maxima’s purchased will include the Bose ANC system.

2016 Nissan Maxima Chassis

Suspension up-front finds an independent subframe-mounted struts while outback is a multi-link double wishbone. Stabilizer bars front (26.0 mm) and rear (26.5 mm) are also standard.

The very strong and linear stopping power is provided by 12.6 and 12.1 in vented discs up front and back respectively.

The Maxima arrives with standard 18-inch alloys and 245/45R18 all-season tires while the SR is equipped with 19-inch alloys and 245/40R19s.

Speaking of the SR – I did not drive one, it incorporates stiffer damper tuning, a chassis damper, larger front stabilizer bar and Active Ride Control (ARC), that brakes as necessary to keep the body as flat as possible.

Decent on-center feel, soft suspension for the first 2 inches or so and then it stiffens up with little body roll when pushed. Nissan knows how to tune a sports sedan.

2016 Nissan Maxima Infotainment

As mentioned above, all 2016 Maxima’s include NissanConnect with standard 8” navigation on all trims. The display features multi-touch control for intuitive smartphone-like gestures such as swiping and pinch-to-zoom. Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant (Android only) and Voice Recognition for navigation and audio are also standard.

SiriusXM Travel Link apps including Online Search with Google is commented by a standard and easy to read 7.0” Drive-Assist Display (ADAD) within the instrument cluster.

A Sport screen with a “Power” meter shows actual engine output, flanked by gauges that display oil pressure and transmission oil temperature. Swipe-to-Navigation to set a route on the navigation screen and swipe again to bring up the directions. This is cool but I need more time to judge its utility.

[​IMG]

The available 11-speaker Bose audio system was brought to the Maxima after benchmarking luxury sedans several classes above.

All Maximas are equipped with two USB inputs with music playback capability enabled through either port. These ports are housed in the media bin on the console, which is large enough to fit an iPhone 6 Plus.

2016 Nissan Maxima Safety

The Maxima includes front, side and curtain air bags. 3-point rear seat belts for all seating positions, front seat belts with dual pretensioners, load limiters and adjustable upper anchors.

Passively, the Maxima also features Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist, emergency inside trunk release, LATCH and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Easy-Fill Tire Alert. All standard.

On the SL and above trims, the Maxima features Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW). The ICC is not adaptive to 0 mph. :(

The Platinum trim features Nissan’s innovative Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD) that provides a 360-degree “surround view” of the vehicle. It also includes Driver Attention Alert (DAA) system which helps alert the driver when drowsy or inattentive driving is detected through the steering wheel input, not a camera based system.

2016 Nissan Maxima – NHTSA 5-Star Crash Test Rating

[​IMG]

The black triangle is due the following: After the NHTSA frontal impact barrier test, 20 oz. of fluid leaked from the fuel system during the static rollover test. I will assume that Nissan has corrected or is working on this problem as I type.

2016 Nissan Maxima Q&A

Pricing is up $840 on average over the outgoing Maxima.

Once you swipe directions to driver display, how do you get it back? Buttons on the wheel will bring it back.

This X-tronic CVT feels more like an 8 or 9-speed than ever before. <-- It really does too! Best CVT I have driven to date in fact.

Seems Nissan is against DI. GDI gives full benefit with a turbo? Not so much from a normally aspirated engine like the 300 HP V6 in the Maxima.

Why did you choose the CVT? Nissan has a lot of experience with CVTs. It offers the best combination of efficiency and response. With D-step shift programming, it will replicate a std. AT.

Regular or Premium fuel? Regular fuel.

Good stuff here.

2016 Nissan Maxima First Drive Early Conclusions

While Nissan is promoting the Maxima as a 4-Door sports car, that may be a bit of a stretch in this day and age. After all, 300 hp drivetrains do not spell blistering ¼ runs. That is not what people drive like however. If one were to use all of its 300 hp driving to 60 in just over 5.5 seconds, it would only be a matter of time before the Maxima is wrapped around a pole during an out of control wreck in short order. Meaning the 2016 Maxima is really a 4-door sports sedan that offers unique attributes one should consider.

As a fan of the Altima due to its efficiency and the Murano thanks to its class leading design, the not normally in my roundhouse Maxima offers features of both with a nice boost in performance some expect.

2016 Nissan Maxima TrueCar Price report for 09/03/2015

[​IMG]

On the pricing front here in the Midwest, the 2016 Nissan Maxima S trim should be able to be picked up for just under $30,000. On the East and West coasts, add another $1,000 according to TrueCar pricing today. By Christmas, I expect the SV would be available for less than $30k for a shrewd shopper. This would be my trim choice of all available too.

The sharp looking exterior is eye catching and I hope to see the new Murano/Maxima design language work its way through to the Rogue, Altima and Sentra soon as well. Expect it with the refreshes about to be announced.

Like the Pathfinder and Murano, the Maxima driver and passengers will be pleasantly surprised with class above surrounds that are both comfortable and eye pleasing. So much so that you would think you are sitting in Nissan’s luxury marque and not a Nissan!

Some asked about cross shopping the Maxima between the Infiniti Q40 and Q50. Nissan stated that a premium brand buyer is going to stick with the premium brand. Saying that however, the differentiation is not nearly as much as an Infiniti Product Planner would have hoped for. When you sit in one, I am sure you will understand this statement. ;)

On the efficiency front, I suspect the all-new Maxima will be the first 300 hp sports sedan to break the 40 mpg highway barrier.

[​IMG]
    First drive: 39.0 mpg over 21.0 miles displayed result.​

In the short suburban/highway drives around the foothills of the Tennessee Mountains, the following was offered with a climb of over 250’ from parking lot to a driver change over point approximately 21 miles later.

That is hot for a car capable of breaching 60 mph in 5.6 seconds!

The 2016 Nissan Maxima is assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee, with engines assembled in Decherd, Tennessee.

If only the Maxima was offered with the Altima’s even more efficient 2.5L. ;)

[​IMG]
    Two 2016 Nissan Maxima’s ready for the CAT shot to reach into the wild blue yonder.​

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

Nice write up.

Probably designed by a twenty something with perfect 20/20 vision.

We're getting older and the first thing to go is our night vision. :p

Al

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Consider me intrigued! I wouldn't normally be interested in a car with that much power and displacement but I'm curious what you will make of it. My main concern would be getting crushed by all that engine displacement during the home-bound stop & crawl that routinely brings my commuting-only tanks with a 2.0L turbo down into the 30-33mpg range at a 27mph average speed. But who knows, maybe Nissan has worked some magic? 39mpg @ 37mph is a promising result.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

What will it do during high-G cornering with throttle off ? As you know , that does happen.

xcel likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The V6 is a deal-killer for me. They're so hard to work on.

xcel likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This gorgeous car needs a state of the art 2.0 turbodiesel.

xcel likes this.
  7. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Weird that only the Platinum model gets memory seats. And still no passenger height adjustable seats either. Other than that some nice features like pano roof and 360 camera's.

Altima has some great highway mpg from my experience although it's a different smaller engine and agree they should offer 4 cyl.

xcel likes this.
  8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Oddly, the Altima has more passenger and cargo volume than the Maxima. So if you want a 4-cylinder Maxima, get an Altima. I assume that the Maxima is more upscale though, Nissan's interiors below the Maxima / Murano level have always felt slightly cheap to me.

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

Meet this week ride in the form of the 300 ‪#‎hp‬ ‪#‎4DSC‬ called ‪#‎Maxima‬. ‪#‎Nissan‬ created an all new platform for 2016 that is better than ever.

2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum

[​IMG]

We will see how she shakes out over the time constrained next 5-days. In the meantime, is the ‪#‎Goodyear‬ ‪#‎Blimp‬ cool or what?

Wayne

10. xcel

Hi All:

A few of the immediately evident highlights from within the FA-18 Super Hornet inspired drivers position.

[​IMG]
    Quilted leather drives seat with lower seat cushion extension.

[​IMG]
    Jewel faceted infotainment Command Controller

[​IMG]
    Soft touch window sill, cross-hatched wood like inlay, leather door inserts and double cross-stitched highlights around the softly padded armrest(s).​

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

Here we are again at the Shell just off the 110 on Torrance Blvd. in Torrance, Calif.

Over 5 gallons so far and it was almost full when I picked it up. I suspect it is going to be another long afternoon and evening. :(

Thank goodness for the free Subway pop with each of my receipts. :)

While continuing the fill, the all-new 8th gen 2016 ‪#‎Nissan‬ ‪#‎Maxima‬ ‪#‎4DSC‬ is loaded. As in the top of the line Platinum trim with no additional options available. Well almost no options available as the interior and cargo mats plus trunk net adds $220 to the $39,860 retail price. D&H adds another $825 for an as driven $40,905 price tag.

From the TrueCar price report, it appears a $5k discount off retail is not out if the question.

[​IMG]

Energetic flow with the aggressive looking V-Motion grille provide the pizzaz outside but it is inside where it goes over the top. 96.8 cu. ft. w/ the sunroof and a 14.3 cu. ft. trunk take care of the basics.

Lots to talk/write about over the next few days but I have to get back to filling this beast. Added 6.85 gallons from almost full so far and counting into the 18 gal spec tank. The all-new Maxima hold a ton more than 18 gallons...

PS: The brakes are strong. Don't ask how I know this while parked at a pump but they are strong. ;)

Wayne

12. xcel

Hi All:

The displays are reset and it is time to tackle the infamous 405 at rush as I make my way towards San Diego in the 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum.

[​IMG]

But first another of those free pops for a receipt on a 7.13 gallon fill from full...

[​IMG]

The audio systems bass output in this new Maxima is awesome!

Wayne

13. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

Given the Maxima’s beautiful design both inside and out, Taylor Swift’s song “Style” as shown on the large high resolution 8” display was so appropriate.

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi All:

2016 ‪#‎Nissan‬ ‪#‎Maxima‬ Review - While the traffic on the 405 through Torrance and again through Irvine during the minor climb to the 5 absolutely positively sucks, the view while driving the 5 SB across Camp Pendleton at sunset makes up for it. A few shots from the scenic overlook and the Rest Area a few miles further down the road.

2016 Nissan Maxima Review – Calibration Drive

[​IMG]
    The infamous 405 for miles and miles and miles… :(

[​IMG]
    Parked at a scenic overlook with the Pacific behind at dusk.

[​IMG]
    The view is great however!

[​IMG]
    Up to that point...​

Forward and back the seats are great. Horizontally however there is a bit too much bolstering on the lower school at cushion which may impact wider drivers long range comfort.

Sun visors on plastic rods due not extend enough either.

Efficiency is to be expected for this kind of rush hour traffic through Southern California.

The final calibration fill is less than an hour ahead so I had better get rolling...

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

And the fun begins anew with the 2016 ‪#‎Nissan‬ ‪#‎Maxima‬.

[​IMG]

This is the first 300 hp non-hybrid/non-diesel car we have ever driven to beyond 40 mpg. How much further and how accurate is what we should know very soon.

The wide ratio - 6.3:1 or 7.0:1 in the 2.5Ls - CVTs in these Nissan's really pull up the efficiency!

While working the pump to fill the Maxima to its Maximum, a Nissan Leaf driver pulled in hard and fast.

[​IMG]

He walked in, bought some beer and got the hell out of Dodge. Even BEV owner’s need a gas station fix some of the time. :)

The 2016 Nissan Maxima is being overshadowed by a Denny's sign? Or maybe this is a future Denny's Delivery Vehicle?

[​IMG]
    Well played Denny's, well played. ;)

Wayne

16. xcel

Hi All:

At 07:11 pm local I called it...

[​IMG]
    46.7 mpg over 93.5 miles indicated - 95.2 actual miles on 2.025 gallons = 47.012 mpg.​

Hey hey, our first ‪#‎Nissan‬ with a positive aFCD to actual ‪#‎fuel‬ ‪#‎economy‬ offset!

95.2 actual miles on 2.025 gallons = 47.012 or 47.0 mpg for a + .6% offset. The + part is a first from our friends at Nissan. A big round of applause to the engineering manager in charge of setting the offset. For all intents and purposes, it is dead on.

So happy to see Nissan coming around as of late and with a ‪#‎Maxima‬ no less! :)

Wayne

17. xcel

Hi All:

I almost missed this. There is an ambient lightpipe just below the wood inlays in the dash and front door inserts that cast a neat thin dim beam around the driver and front passenger. Kind of Audi A8 like. I almost missed it and the manual setting pic - 1/8 of a second shutter with an ISO of 400 does not do it justice!

[​IMG]

Wayne

18. xcel

Hi All:

The hot looking 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum with my lovely wife Marian after adjusting the seat and wheel up about a foot to reach the pedals and the seat angle from ~25 degrees to maybe 15 degrees. A bit more standard racing position. Thank goodness for two position memory!

[​IMG]

So what are we doing? Checking out the family utility by taking on more mundane family duties as we deliver the hardware... The baby hardware that is.

[​IMG]

Something everyone including an all-new Maxima owner will have to perform at some point.

Wayne

19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Yes
    Marion lovely
    But
    where is your usual co-pilot??
    Pups too much of a Ram TD fan?

20. xcel

Hi All:

Almost midnight and a shortened week with the 2016 Nissan Maxima forces an early Wednesday/Thursday attempt to complete the steady states.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hoping my primary and secondary on and off-ramps are open, traffic is at a minimum and the Border Patrol Station within Camp Pendleton is not stopping traffic so I can complete the set.

[​IMG]

Wayne