Gen 2 mpg*e

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Don, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Don

Don Member

Just curious. For 2016 Volt owners. Are you owners getting what the EPA says the mpg*e on your Volt is? I think it's 106mpg. Thanks:flag:

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Don:

Here you go.

[​IMG]

Wayne

3. timw4mail

timw4mail Microcar Commuter

Where can I find a good explanation of MPGe? The metric really confuses me.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm also confused. And I smell a conspiracy that someone wants us to remain confused. Of course , in my infinite paranoia , I think there's a conspiracy behind EVERY thing. :)

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

The EPA assumes that 1 gallon of gasoline and 33.7kWh of electricity are equivalent in terms of total energy content. The number of miles a car can drive on 33.7kWh (measured at the plug I'm pretty sure) is the MPGe rating.

It's not perfect since it doesn't account in any way for what was used to generate that electricity. Its only real purpose seems to be accounting for cost.

And to the OP: I don't think anyone on the site has taken delivery of a '16 Volt yet. Outside of CA I think it's only been available for two whole days.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Minor clarification: The 33.7 kWh/gallon ratio is approximately the actual amount of heat released by burning a gallon of gasoline (E0, I assume), not some arbitrary assumption. Upstream energy consumed to produce and deliver the gasoline and electricity are not considered in that ratio, only energy going into the car.