4th Generation 2016 Prius U.S. Reveal - Sept. 8th

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Aug 19, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

The U.S. static reveal for the 2016 Toyota Prius will be held in Las Vegas, NV on Sept. 8th, 2016 and I am scheduled to attend.

The full global reveal will occur in Europe at the Frankfurt Auto Show a week later.

Not much more than that for now.

Wayne

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Too bad I couldn't wait. This is an important car for Toyota and folks have high expectations.
    I'm looking forward to this !

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I have another year waiting for the PIP update.
    Need to see specs to decide between PIP/Liftback/non-Toyota. Need to see nationwide PIP sales, too.
    Really would like to be all electric around town...

4. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

I will be interesting to see how significant an upgrade this new generation will be.
    I am really glad you are attending and being our *eyes* :)

Walter

5. xcel

Hi Walter:

I have some small items about Toyota's super hybrid flagship incl. its suspension layout, the EPA numbers, fuel tank size and interior upgrades but am under an NDA for now. A lot of nice additions that will make it more comfortable, quicker and more efficient.

I will forward what I can when allowed.

Wayne

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. trev0006

trev0006 Member

7. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link - they really want to make it look "exciting" by visually breaking up the smooth shape:

[​IMG]

If the plugin version has 35 miles of EV range, that is extremely interesting.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

I thought the Gen 3 was "exciting" enough. But this should sell.
    And the 35 miles sounds GREAT , if that's true.

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Yes 35 miles ev is perfect. H

10. xcel

Hi All:

Although the full 2016 Prius front, side and rear tied down within the aircraft hold is shown above, here is Toyota's small edition.

2016 Toyota Prius sneak peek

[​IMG]

All-New 2016 Toyota Prius Sets the Stage Sept. 8 for the Next Generation of Hybrid

With a striking new look, enhanced driving dynamics and impressive fuel economy, the 2016 Prius will challenge what you know about hybrids.

Tune in at 9 p.m. PDT, Tuesday, Sept. 8 to see the next era of an icon.

2016 Toyota Prius Reveal

Wayne

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

11:00 PM is past bedtime for a guy who wakes up at 4:10 AM , but I will be there !

12. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

That is as subtle and obscure a teaser image as I have ever seen. They added the long dim arc, so the only tidbit from the car is the swoopy zig on the far right.

I hope they have put a higher capacity battery in both the standard and the plugin versions. I hope they have increased the torque of the electric motor(s). I hope they have lowered the drag. I hope they have improved the suspension so it handles more crisply. I hope they have reprogrammed the HVAC so that we do not have to run the A/C whenever the defroster is on.

13. xcel

Hi Edwin:

It will be worth it. :)

Neil, they have other than the last. Not sure about the last one.

They have media staying at Ceasers Palace so Toyota is spending big $s.

2016 Toyota Prius (World Premiere & Dinner -- 7 pm – 11 pm

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi All:

All-new fourth generation 2016 Toyota Prius to make World Debut in Frankfurt

The new Prius will be the tar of Toyota’s presentation at the Frankfurt motor show on 15 September.

All the while many journalists are heading to Las Vegas on Tuesday for a reveal on Sept. 8th as posted above. I now suspect we will be under a minor embargo until the 15th but I am not sure given it will be livestreamed on the web Wednesday night. We will know more about that on Tuesday.

The 2016 Prius will be joined on the Toyota stand by the new RAV4 hybrid, making its first appearance in Europe, and by Toyota’s second C-HR Concept hybrid crossover – another world-first reveal.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

[​IMG]

The dominant themes for Toyota at the show are the continuing expansion of its hybrid model range and further roll-out of Toyota Safety Sense, making advanced active safety technologies affordable for more and more customers.

The second iteration of Toyota Safety Sense will be presented at the show, featuring the addition of Pedestrian Recognition and Adaptive Cruise Control to the package of features available.

Wayne

15. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

C'mon, man.

We won't tell anybody.

:cool:

16. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Nice. A Rav4 Hybrid would make a practical and I'm assuming more affordable alternative to the NXh with similar capabilities.

17. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Seen in full light ... the new Prius looks more conventional than the last to me. I think it will blend in a little more, so all the crying and ranting over the looks (not on this website but elsewhere) was unwarranted.

I was pretty disappointed with the reveal, though. No details or specs.

From the interior photos it does appear to have "wireless charging" ..... so that's cool.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015