Arctic Gear...

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by xcel, Jul 14, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

It is 80+ degrees and humid as hell in Chicago tonight with T-Storm Warnings and Tornado Watches across the area.

[​IMG]

So what am I doing all afternoon and evening? Sourcing Extreme Cold Weather -60 to -100 degree F rated survival gear for a possible future project with an OEM to be named later.

Wayne

2. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

Wayne must be going for a new look. LOL

[​IMG]

3. xcel

Hi Tom:

:)

Wayne

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Hmmmmm. Good luck getting volunteers for this one!

5. xcel

Hi Tim:

You would not believe the number of journalists that want to go on this one. Mike Sefton has already committed as well. This is going to be an adventure drive of a lifetime for sure. Now I just have to get the OEM(s) to follow through with their interest. It is a very cool vehicle(s) heading out on this one too. :)

Wayne

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Wayne knows my passport is ready!

7. xcel

Hi Jay:

In case we need to drive the ALCAN, your name is on my short list. ;)

How do we get Tim out on one of these adventures is the real question?

Wayne

8. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who works outside all day in any weather except lightning I recommend boots with (ideally multiple pairs of) removeable liners and multiple pairs of liner gloves. Being able to dry the liners overnight is a big deal.

For me the top end stuff isn't worth the extra cost at the outer layer, but can be for the inner layer.

9. xcel

Hi Rich:

Thanks. The boots I thought would best suit the needs of this drive have something like 8 layers including multiple liners.

Here are the details.

[​IMG]

The Unique Baffin Inner Boot System

Our multi-layer inner boot system creates a warm boot because body moisture is wicked away. A Hydromax II layer, similar to the material used in babies’ diapers, combined with a B-Tek four channel hollow fibre layer acts as a moisture control system keeping the foam dry and funneling water vapour out of the boot as opposed to felt packs used in other boots that compress over time and retain water. We’ve upgraded our innermost layer to an improved ‘Thermaplush’. It’s a chamois leather-like material that feels remarkably soft and smooth.

A vaporized aluminum membrane has a silver surface which reflects energy back towards the foot. In our boots that are rated for very low temperatures, we use two of these.

Baffin Impact Arctic Boot Specs

RATING -100°C/-148°F

BASE: Integrated Arctic Flex rubber base
    INSOLE: Rubber with Waffle insole and reflective “air bubble” underfoot
    OUTSOLE: Premium polar rubber
    LINER: Timberwolf leather and Diamond-Lite insulated nylon

Wayne

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wow, more technology than the Air Jordan !

11. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I assume you don't be driving this one barefoot ;)

12. xcel

Hi Mike:

Only needed for stepping outside into the cold Polar air to take a leak more than likely. ;)

Wayne

13. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Probably no need for -100F boots then. Something worth noting is that affordable materials that are flexible and waterproof at really low temperatures tend not to be durable at higher temps. I'm skeptical about the long term durability and effectiveness of a couple of layers of the boot you showed.

I go with a less extreme temp rated boot with a greater emphasis on waterproofing and durability and adapt to varying temps by adjusting inserts and socks. The main downside of a less extreme boot is worrying about "synthetic rubber" cracking in temps below its specs. For example, Walmart's vinyl work boots won't work well at -30F. I've been happy with the Kamik's I bought last year.

14. seftonm

15. xcel

Hi Rich:

"If" it is minus 60 and something goes wrong, I am responsible for the safety and welfare of all that are along on the journey. I cannot consider what happens to survival gear in high temperatures a year or three from now. I need it to perform to spec for four to seven days in a row and only if something goes really wrong. After the drive is over, the participant’s $1,500 worth of gear can be tossed out and burned or used for the rest of their lives. I just have to make darn sure it works as advertised for the four to seven days of our drive in case it is needed.

Mike, the exterior gear I am looking at goes beyond the Canadian Goose gear. ;)

Wayne

16. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I think that's an honor best reserved for people with real hypermiling chops. Mine are a little rusty. OTOH I absolutely know my way around a gin and tonic if that helps. :D

https://vimeo.com/107806971

17. seftonm

How far beyond Canada Goose does this go? Canada Goose is pretty much the standard issue Antarctic parka, I figured there is probably a reason for that. It's pretty high quality stuff.

18. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Catheter with a catch bag strapped to your leg would solve that problem. :D

As this Walmart Shopper demonstrates.

[​IMG]

19. xcel

Hi Mike:

- 60 degrees F. I spoke with a Shell sponsored Iditarod musher about this last year. She said this gear is the real deal but may be to warm for most working situations no matter how cold it gets.

Wayne

20. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I was thinking along those lines... But I would only consider one particular type. Google "Texas Catheter" if you're interested.