2016 Prius

Discussion in 'General' started by NeilBlanchard, Jul 9, 2015.

1. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Is this the 2016 Prius?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/is-this-the-next-toyota-prius-89008.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car with the black grill is apparently the plugin model, which may have a electric range of ~30 miles.

I am still digesting this design. The engine is claimed to be 40% efficient (up from 38% of the current Prius), which is great. We hopefully will know more soon.

2. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I saw this leaked on the net last week and wondering my self.

To me they look uglier then 3rd gen.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will look ok in in real. H

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Toyota's design department has been disappointing me across the board for the last couple of years. Cars come out way, way too fiddly...like they finish the design and then spend an extra year drawing more bumps, dents, curves, and slashes that distract the eye from what might have been a reasonably attractive design. OTOH the internet is full of bad renderings so we'll have to wait and see if this is real.

5. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

The rear looks like a car flipped upside down. I'm starting to think Toyota likes to do ugly just for the sake of ugly.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think that the world's largest car-maker cares little about the opinions of a few Internet geeks. And yes, I'm a geek , too. Did I buy a Prius because I think it looks cool ? No.
    I quit being cool thirty years ago. I bought it because it flat-out WORKS. And LASTS.

7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Cars that work and last still don't need to be ugly.

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I don't much care about automotive styling. I drive a box on wheels, because that shape just makes sense. It's not art, but it is useful.

My only exception is that it not be flat-out UGLY. I'd say 10% of the cars out there qualify as ugly for me. And most of them are Toyotas (or Lexuses, which are uglier still). Outside of that ugly 10%, I look at the functional attributes to decide.

I could defend the looks of the previous two Prii as "functional" but this is deliberately uglified for the sake of looking, what? distinctive?

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Toyota has done a good job of confusing everyone about the look of the next-gen Prius. NONE OF US KNOW what it will look like. And Mike , you are correct ; it doesn't need to be ugly. But I'm guessing very few Prius owners bought their car because of the styling. I know I didn't. I don't think they want to sell a truly weird-looking car , but maybe just an evolutionary change. The biggest problem Toyota has is cheap fuel in North America. And they're more or less covered for that , with a full line-up of FSP's.

Andrew , your car IS beautiful , in the sense that function = beauty.

10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

New spy shots show the leaked drawings were accurate.

If the rest of the leaked info is accurate then:

145 to 150 hp
    54 mpg
    PHEV has 21 miles AER
    Curb weight is down about 200 lbs on both

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099689_2016-toyota-prius-spy-shots

http://www.hybridcars.com/is-this-the-2016-prius/

There's some miles vs kilometers mistakes in the hybrid car article

/ I think the car looks more conventional, but still unique. Toyota did a good job with the evolution of the design ....... from what I can see so far

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

When I see a "spy shot" on Toyota.com , then I'll believe it.

The 54 number sounds nice.

The 200 lbs , also very nice.

12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The new Prius design looks even more "cab forward" than the last. Which would make sense to me .... my untrained design eye sees "cab forward" yielding the most interior space while reducing weight and aerodynamic drag.

I do find it odd that Honda will be moving the other direction and pushing the cab back on the next civic.

You wouldn't think the two fuel economy leaders could be going opposite directions on a major component in efficiency oriented design.

/Edwin --- you're not much of an Ethan (Hunt) are you?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

^ It looked to me like the rear passenger and hatch roof zone was sloping down faster, kinda of reverting to Gen II. Just got the feel that a large item in the hatch is gonna be more likely to bump the hatch glass when you try to close it.

Also, really not enamoured by the front end look, the pencil thin upper grill opening, the headlights like a blip in the seam of the hood/bumper/fender junction. Then there's the rear: climbing ever higher with a marked crease, and the tail lights plunging down into the enormous rear bumper: yuck.

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

The invites for the Sept. 8th reveal are going out to a lot of Prius owners and not just journos just like the Gen 3 reveal. A good thing imho.

Saying that, a thought came to me in my sleep last night. With the thick wing shaped profile of the 2nd through 4th gen Prius', do you think there is some purposely designed lift to reduce road weight built in as speed increases? Not enough to lift the car or anything but maybe enough to reduce road weight by 200 to 300 lbs at 60 mph or close to 10 percent of its mass? With that lift comes drag but that balance has surely been calculated out to possibly achieve a better overall efficiency by somebody.

Anyone?

TIA

Wayne

15. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely, in my opinion. Aside from the drag, that much added lift would hurt road-holding a lot more than it could possibly reduce fuel consumption---which it could do only by reducing rolling resistance slightly. It wouldn't affect the actual mass of the car, so acceleration wouldn't be affected.

16. xcel

Hi RedylC94:

Acceleration is not what I was thinking off. Efficiency is however. Adding downforce reduces efficiency. I wonder if "some" lift increases it? Not to the point of losing traction. 200+ lbs up force is not going to do much to its Gs on the skidpad either.

Wayne

17. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I would think that any amount of downforce or lift would induce drag. Either way you're exerting force and that's never free.

18. xcel

Hi Tim:

I see the Prius profile as thick over its cord length creating a high lift, low drag ratio wing profile. The late WW-I German planes took advantage of this and could outclimb anything in the sky because of it.

Wayne

19. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Lifting 200 pounds off a 2900-pound car is going to reduce its "Gs on a skidpad" by nearly 7%. Less reduction at lower speeds, obviously. That lift force is by definition perpendicular to the direction of travel, so won't do a thing to help the Prius over a hill.

20. xcel

Hi RedylC94:

Mass has little to do with the skidpad. This is also not about getting over a hill, it is a consideration of converting drag for lift and thus less mass to move down the Interstate. The drag is already there and if tuned for a little lift vs. downforce... It is probably balanced for neither lift nor downforce. Just thinking outside the box given how much the Prius profile looks like a very large German WW-I Albatross wing cross section.

Wayne