Good Or Not?

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by HCH2007, Jun 29, 2015.

1. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

Hello,

I'm considering buying an Ford Escape Hybrid, mostly due to the higher seat elevation, getting on in years makes climbing in and out of the lower slung foreign hybrids increasingly painful for both my wife and myself. So has any one here have information or knowledge about this vehicle? We hope to gain some insight on whether or not to purchase a hybrid Ford Escape, thank you.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

FEH has a reputation for being a good car depending on your needs. If you're doing mostly around-down driving and/or simply need the CUV form factor then it's worth a look. If you want blistering highway FE and don't need the space then it probably isn't the best bet. You also can't buy a new one anymore (but I'm betting you knew that).

Have you sat in a Prius liftback or Prius V? They both have a fairly upright seating position that should be easier to get into and out of than the Civic. I secretly thought of mine as a tiny minivan for that reason. I can't personally vouch for it but the Prius V is supposed to be much more comfortable than the 2G Prius that I complained about so much. (I'm also 6'2" so not everyone has the same ergonomic issues that I did.)

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I have a 2008 FEH 4wd base model Hybrid and I love it. My average weekly drive takes me between the Shenandoah valley and downtown DC. My lifetime average is just under 32 MPG, and mine is EPA rated for 28 combined. Great city vehicle, but if you do a lot of highway miles it may not be the vehicle for you.

Most of the common issues that come up can be repaired if you're moderately handy for less than $100. If you go FEH shopping I would recommend you look at 2010-2012 models as they have more aggressive computer programming than the earlier models.

4. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

I have been very happy with my 2007 FEH. It has the higher seat elevation that you mention and I find it comfortable in the front or the back seats.

It has been a very low maintenance vehicle for me. Over 8 years, I've replaced the tires twice, replaced the standard battery once, and changed the oil and filters every 10k miles.

It will definitely take more gas than your Civic, but will certainly be easier to get in and out of.