Engine Light - Replacing Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by rmcmast, Jun 19, 2015.

1. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

I've had the engine light coming on (solid, not flashing) in my 2013 C-Max Energi and left it at the dealer yesterday. They called today and are replacing the catalytic converter.

They said they need the car for 3 or 4 days because they need to pull the engine to do the replacement. I have a loaner I can keep till it's done but it really seems strange that it's so hard to get to. They are a local Ford dealer, so I assume they know what they're doing.

Part of what bothers me is they didn't know going in what it would take. They seem to have discovered it after they got in and tried to remove the catalytic converter.

Anyone know if this sounds reasonable?

Thanks

2. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

The closer the converter is to the exhaust manifold the faster it warms up and the quicker it can do its job - not sure but they can probably replace the CC without pulling the engine but it must be easier and more profitable to just pull the ICE, be glad its under warranty !

3. rmcmast

Thanks. Yes, very glad it's warranty!

I called them back and asked a few more questions. They said they're replacing the exhaust manifold and the CC (said they were connected).

4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It's too new for that sort of problem to seem reasonable! Any grounds for hope that it won't happen again so quickly post-warranty?

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Cats don't typically fail unless something else is wrong, most commonly an O2 sensor or something related. A bad fuel mix is all it takes. Too lean and the cat overheats, too rich and it craps-up and can't do its job. Hell, sometimes the cat is fine and the sensor is the only issue. Hopefully they checked.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've never had to replace a catalytic converter. Even in the cars I've had with 229K and 222K miles. Many modern cars now integrate the converter with the exhaust manifold ,which make it expensive to replace.

7. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Yup, probably a cat built into the exhaust manifold. Those are expensive! And they typically wear out faster due to the higher exhaust temps, should not have been that fast though. I agree, I hope they checked out the O2 sensors. Hopefully their techs know how to read an oscilloscope...

8. rmcmast

Just got my car back today. Took them over a week to replace the exhaust manifold. I did ask about the O2 sensors and they said they checked them.

So far everything seems ok and no engine check light yet. Crossing my fingers.

When they called to say it was ready I asked them to plug it in so it could charge. When I got there it was plugged in, but the ring around the plug wasn't lit. Fault light on the charger. When I asked about it he said, yea they've been having trouble with their charging stations. Not impressed.

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Sounds about right. I sincerely hope they know how to thoroughly check an O2 sensor...it's not hard but it takes a bit of time and a deliberate process. Unfortunately I am somewhat betting against their word on that...