I drove a Tesla for 2 days and it changed how I'll think about driving forever

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by JohnM, Jun 1, 2015.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

After driving it for only a short time I found the most surprising characteristic of the Model S was not in any of the technological gizmos. It was the driving experience.

Put crudely, most people think an electric-powered car would drive like a tricked-up sewing machine. But the Tesla is big, fast, and fun – a beast of a machine that makes your daily drive a joy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-its-like-to-drive-a-tesla-2015-6

2. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

You may be the only one that thought a Tesla S would drive like a sewing machine.

Anyone with any knowledge of Tesla knows they are badass.

You are very lucky.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Some folks need to make plenty of noise when they drive to let the peons know that royalty is passing them. These are the same "special" people who put loud exhaust systems on their motorcycles and/or become firemen.

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

You lucky dog. I'd love to get behind the wheel of one of those beautifully built autos. I cannot wait to see thier new less expensive entry. That is what I want,a affordable Tesla. I thought it would be on the market by know. H

5. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

While certainly nothing badass about it, I've had the Leaf up to 94 mph :eek: in my one test of pure acceleration on an empty highway on a early Saturday morning. We were coming home from playing basketball and it was to convince my other 3 passengers that this was not a "glorified golf cart". So even with 600+ extra pounds in the car, we went from 45mph to 94mph in 6.2 seconds.

My three friends were impressed and agreed that they felt nothing but forward momentum and their bodies pressed against the seat. The pure transfer of energy to the wheels is so different from the typical ICE acceleration, that you have to experience it to understand.

Then we returned to my typical feather light acceleration and they decided that it is just me, not the Leaf. To which I replied, "Thank you" :D

6. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Yes I have noticed a few leafs at stop lights showing off<grin> h

7. suchham

suchham Member

A friend and I test drove a Model S last Saturday. Pure joy. That is a beautifully engineered machine, with much attention to detail. We went from a dead stop to 60mph in about 4 seconds. Anyone who thinks electric cars are wimpy is in for a shock. There are used Teslas for sale, but they are still too pricey for me (~$60k). Once Tesla markets the more affordable model and more people buy into it, things are going to change. If you live near a Tesla store, go drive one. It will open your eyes a little wider.

8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I would say that folks should drive any EV you have the chance to - you will be pleasantly surprised how nice they are to drive. A Tesla would be completely impressive, but an e-Golf or a Leaf or an i3 are mighty nice!

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

While Teslas are superb machines and I have been trending away from the "if it's too loud, you're too old" way of thinking over the last 6 or 8 years, I will say this - people quit trying to change lanes into me on my Harley when I put the loud exhaust on.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

And all the other respectful motorists around you "get" to hear your cool exhaust music.

11. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I won't say you're wrong. I won't say that the sound was so overridingly cool that the neighbors would instantly drop panties and salivate my arrival. Hell, even when I rode with salty vets to DC for Rolling Thunder, they wondered how the hell I did 1500 miles to DC with so much noise. The simple answer is that it started out as an exercise in being cool, and when I realized that the noise made people look and acknowledge, I became convinced that the cliche of "loud pipes save lives" didn't come out of nowhere. I'd have to dig it up if it's even true, but at my MSF course, the instructor cited some study or another which claimed the average motorist does not instinctively acknowledge a motorcycle as a moving vehicle. I'll take disturbing the peace as a fair trade for maintaining my status as living, anecdotal as it may be.

In a car, the worst I will do is a set of nice long glass packs. Throaty, deep, yet mellow without necessarily projecting volume.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

It's a generational thing, James. At my age , I don't want to announce my presence. On the other hand , having spent decades on two wheels , one really DOES want to be noticed for safety reasons. I'm not judging.

13. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

I just test drove the Tesla P85d.
    I received an email invitation to view a Net Zero home and drive the Tesla.
    http://my.teslamotors.com/event/discover-future-driving-modern-house-east-hampton

Buried in the woods of East Hampton NY. There were 4 Tesla's.
    I had attempted a test drive before. But, there was only one person in the Dealership. He couldn't leave.

I find Tesla S a beautiful luxury car that happens to be electric.
    Extremely quiet. Except for a slight whir sound when first accelerating. Silence.
    P85d has 2 engines and I wasn't sure if it's considered all wheel drive. But it surely can grip.
    The 2nd motor results in a smaller "Frunk" than earlier models.
    Also tested the Insane mode. WOW! Startled my 16 yr old son. 0 - 60 in 3.1 seconds.
    I slowed down as the steering wheel was pulling from my hands.
    Need the seat closer up next time. (Ludicrous mode was not available)

Regen was extremely aggressive.
    As you let off the gas, you feel it kick in as deceleration fast. Up to approx 30 mph.
    Over 40 mph, regen seems much reduced. Giving a smoother more natural coast.
    I know that regen is adjustable, But I was having way too much fun to bother adjusting it.
    Driving range is very good. Approx 265 miles at 55mph.
    Ours still had 185 miles to go. Google map on the touchscreen showed the Tesla Super Chargers in range highlighted in red.
    For me, Range seemed only a problem, on my semi annual northern Maine trips.
    And there is no doubt that a electric car will be in my future.

The Net Zero home was a beautiful Modern designed home. (SOLD)
    http://www.hamptonsrealestate.com/hamptons-ny/expansion.php?innum=41583
    6000 sq ft. 6 bedroom. 6 baths. Very luxurious. Thank you Meg.
    25kWh of solar. Solar thermal heated pool.
    Geothermal heating and cooling.

Spent some good time discussing features with the builder and his Mom.
    Didn't get into enough details to satisfy me though.
    As I am currently tightening the air seal on my own home.
    This home seemed more on overpowering solar / thermal generation and slightly less on conservation.
    That balance is really is up to the builder.
    I just favor more conservation over generation.

An excellent trip that I almost passed up on.
    Glad that I did go.