IMA Battery Output

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by HCH2007, May 26, 2015.

1. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

How much voltage should the output of the IMA battery be on my 2007 Civic Hybrid?

2. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Between 158.4V and about 178V as-installed/as-removed, but it tells you nothing about the health of the battery. I take it the pack you refurbed is showing signs of deterioration? You're lucky it's lasted this long.

Steve

3. HCH2007

Steve,

Well, all 22 of the sticks charged up to 8-8.24V. But, after assembly the voltage across the + - terminals on the pack is only 78.4V total, which seems as if only 1/2 of the battery is in play here. I'm trying to find a photo of a battery pack partially disassembled to see how the sticks are assembled in the pack (i.e. what order the colors are in).

Wayne

4. S Keith

you can't get the end cap on properly if you don't orient the sticks correctly. The holes in the end cap orient to the flats on the pair terminals.

5. S Keith

6. HCH2007

Hello Steve,

Thank you for sharing the link to the assembly pictures of the HCH II battery pack. It is very peculiar that Honda is the only hybrid manufacturer that has such a low quality battery pack, but will not take ownership for it. I have owned Hondas in the past, this is the main reason I purchased the HCH II, Honda quality had always been top notch in the past and I expected the same with my Civic Hybrid. :(

I'm going to charge the battery pack I removed from the car during the swap and see how it does. My main concern is 4 sticks were 7.2V or more while all the rest were 6.2V or so. I'll let everyone know how it goes. One question do you or anyone else here have knowledge of how to trouble shoot the connecting and temp sensing cap on the battery? Even some idea of values to expect from the components would help. I have tried to search for information on the web with no success.

Thank you,
    Wayne

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. S Keith

It's not really peculiar. It's a mild-hybrid system that turned out to be just a touch short of where it needed to be, and they had serious cost constraints. I believe that if the newest iteration of the BCM management software (the latest patch) was what they started with, battery failure rates would have been substantially lower

Another option would have been if Honda had treated the battery as a maintenance item and invested some time and a small amount of money in a grid charger/discharger function to maximize the health of the battery.

Sorry, I don't have any idea what you're actually talking about concerning a "connecting and temp sensing cap". If this is referring to the Voltage issue you're seeing, I expect you reversed a pair and you're subtracting voltage out instead of adding it.

I greatly recommend you grid charge the battery with a home-built grid charger for 24 hours and then deep discharge the pack to < 2V with light bulbs. I have done this with 5X HCH2 packs and 2X HCH1 packs. Without fail, I have seen a 20-25% improvement in capacity. Traditional cycling can reactivate inactive material and improve capacity; however, it doesn't effectively remove voltage depression.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Over at PriusChat there's a discussion about rehydrating. Not sure I should mention: only opens another can of worms, lol.

Our son has our previous 06 Civic hybrid. It had a "new" Honda battery put in about a year back. It was doing champion for a while, but he mentioned recently he's seen recal's occurring again. So far infrequently. It has the latest software update.

9. HCH2007

Well, I'm in the process of getting my 2007 Civic Hybrid's IMA battery replaced. The reason given for the odd symptoms and subsequent failure was that the techs in Charleston, SC programed the wrong update for the IMA system, it caused the system to fail to charge the battery and it finally died. It is all being done for free and I am driving a 2014 Insight loaner until the Civic is repaired. So, now my question is would a grid charger help maintain the battery best and help it to last longer?

Thank you,
    Wayne

10. S Keith

Absolutely. Hybrid ReVolt and Bumblebee support the use of grid chargers on their new packs. The general consensus is that quarterly grid charging/deep discharging can go a long way to maintain balance and maximize cell life.

11. HCH2007

Hello Everyone,

I have had my 2007 HCH back for a couple of weeks now and I am not very happy. Prior to the battery change out I was getting what I felt was poor mileage 41-44 MPG considering we used to get 50-56 MPG before the battery started going bad. Now we can't even get 30 MPG with the car, not anything near the lame EPA estimated MPG for the car. I believe that the mileage drop is due to the "correct" IMA Battery Software being installed, so I'm going to the Honda dealership where the work was done to try and get them to revert the software. I have used every Hypermileing technique I have learned here and still get less then 30 MPG, wish me luck with the dealer everybody!

Thank you,

12. S Keith

Sorry to hear it. I'm in the process of trying to avoid dealer rape to the tune of $1,900 for a new A/C compressor.