nice off coasting not 9999mpg?

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by chilimac02, May 22, 2015.

1. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

I just bought a civic and is been many years since configuring the sgii. I changed the fuel cut off setting, but even still with the ice off my sgii displays like 1534mpg instead of 9999. And yes the number changes based on vehicle speed. How do I remedy this to get a more accurate reading when I'm coasting?

2. chilimac02

Sorry 2012 civic ex

3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Good question. I know it has to do with the same phantom .02gph fuel flow rate I see coasting with engine stopped.
    30.68mph/.02gph=1534 mpg.

Coasting (in a Prius, not Civic) with engine rotating but injectors supposedly shut off, my ScanGauge sometimes correctly shows 0.00 gph (or 9999 mpg), but often does not, seemingly at random.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

My ScanGauge in the Prius is not exactly mounted (sits in passenger seat) , so I mostly just use it now and then to check coolant temp and RPM. Also checked HP against the Prius ECO-PWR transition. It seems to be about 30 HP before it goes above ECO range. I can almost always stay in ECO. I never worried about the Scangauge reading 9999 in the Civic as I almost NEVER did NICE-OFF coasting.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

It's a known issue in the Scangauge's programming with some vehicles. (mine included)

There is an update to fix it! The folks at Ecomodder complained loudly enough to make it happen. Contact Scangauge and ask for the "ecomodder" update or the 0.02 gph bug. It's a free update, you just have to ship it in. I got mine back in a week.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Andrew! I might do that. I wonder whether that "0.02GPH bug" also causes a (slight) error in the ScanGauge's estimate of cumulative fuel used. If so that would be more significant than the nonsensical instantaneous GPH and MPG numbers.

Any knowledge of the other ScanGauge quirk I've observed, sometimes showing around 0.36GPH or so during the Prius's version of fuel-cut coasting? Then sometimes it shows 0.00GPH (never 0.02) in seemingly identical circumstances. ??

Thanks

7. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

yep what Andrew said. I have seen that mostly the Honda's and some Toyota's have this software issue. Mine does that, I just don't care about it anymore. It hasn't affected the fuel usage to much on my readings.

with your new toy, are you going to get back in the game more on this site?? we have missed you on the challanges.

8. chilimac02

I'd enjoy doing the challenges again. The main problem was that I was not the only one driving a car. I now have 3 kids, so whoever has 2+ kids takes the "big" car - the Honda Pilot. My wife manages to get a whopping 16mpg around town. For the sake of our marriage I quit complaining that I NEVER get below 20mpg city in that thing.

One reason for getting the new ride (civic) was because my schedule changed and I'll now be commuting (me only) several days a week. If that really is the case, then I'll be the only one driving the Civic and thus be ready to return to the challenges.