Factory Grill Block

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by dobsont, May 15, 2015.

1. dobsont

dobsont "How's your mileage?"

The 2015 outback has a factory grill block. It opens and closes based on sensor data. I don't know much about it yet.

But how about that!?

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I wonder how well it works with crusty , frozen snow.

3. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

That'll block your grill too.

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

If it gets hot enough to need the grill open, it will probably melt the snow and ice?

By the way, the e-Golf has an active thermally controlled shutter in the lower grill, and the upper grill is blocked off.

5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Grill shutters are common nowadays on such luxurious cars as the Nissan Versa Note.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Had a look with Google images: I like that someone's still designing grill that are semi-sensible.

I've seen pictures of the revamped Prius v grill. It's cheering me right up, knowing what Toyota's going to foist on the next gen Prius: the bucktoothed catfish look. ;(

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Manufacturers are really starting to take thermal management seriously. Mine dosn't have any fancy shutters, but it does have an electric water pump that doesn't even activate until the engine starts to warm up. It's pretty cool. The difference between winter and summer FE is a lot smaller than I'm used to.