San Antonio, TX and a Dual-Fueled Dodge Charger

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, May 7, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am currently in San Antonio, TX and tomorrow I get introduced to a Dual-Fueled Dodge Charger. Shell and the Southwest Research Institute have worked together to create a dual fueled/dual tank setup with one tank filled Shell V-Power feeding a common rail of the left bank and another tank feeding the right bank.

The engineering team has a $42,000 Borescope that they plan on pulling the heads and scope the intake and exhaust ports, seats, and valves of each cylinder after I place between 5 and 10k miles on the car over the next few weeks. I will fill the second tank with whatever non-Shell fuel I find along the way when I need to fill.

Just an update. I will be back home early on Friday morning. Long day tomorrow starting at 05:50 AM.

Wayne

2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That sounds pretty cool, I'm interested in seeing what the results will be like.

3. xcel

Hi Mike:

I drove it for a few miles today. Huge Crash bars surrounding the two Shell and Competitive 8 gallon each fuel cells. Fuel cells themselves are elastomer lined with a vapor control paths back to the OEM system. Multiple switches to drain the individual tanks through a Mil Spec fitting/connector and hose back to an external tank. A built in Containment sump beneath the fuel cells that can contain up to 110 percent of one tanks contents when full. Pressure and level readouts of both tanks in the trunk with the tanks and another dual set of displays just beneath the radio cutout.

Auto and Manual fire protection to the engine bay and trunk where the two fuel cells are located. Hydrocarbon sensor in the trunk in case of fumes or leaks with an alarm package that initiates at 20 percent of the LEL. Master switches to initiate the fuel pumps and another to swap to the OEM tank once it is all over.

Pretty slick setup for running Shell V-Power vs. Competitor's Brand fuels side by side to two separate sides of the engine via the right and left common rails.

I cannot say what the new Shell fuel is yet but their will be a promotion around it giving away 100 BMW M3s over a 100-day period during and after the drive. This is super hot!!!

Wayne

4. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to keep track of FE difference, too. If the tanks showed a big difference in FE it might be good to re-run the test switching rail sides halfway through for the sake of consistency.

5. talonts

talonts Active Member

To the public? If so, I definitely want more info ;-)

6. xcel

Hi Rich:

I have seen the preliminary results and the V-Power side valves look like they came off the factory floor. The other sides valves running an LAC - lowest additive concentration - detergent package that most stations provide are not the same. The LAC fueled valves are a mess by comparison and this is with less than 5k of running miles! I am going to add another 5K to 7k miles with V-Power Plus in one side and Premium brand X, Y and Z on the other with another look down the intakes and exhausts with a borescope in front of the public when I am through.

Shell cannot make any FE claims just yet since they do not have the data but I did see injectors and they were "messed" up when using the non-V-Power formulations. I also saw previous FE studies with dirty injectors and there is a difference. SwRI just did not have time to collect data with the new fuel program to say one way or the other.

I also suggested that after the public borescope reveal in LA that they allow me to drive it with Shell V-Power to clean the LAC fueled side up. They loved the idea but their budget was locked down long ago.

Tom, another two to three weeks and the full "Fuel" story will be released. Really good stuff from what I saw at SwRI yesterday.

Wayne

7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That would defeat the tear-down analysis of engine wear...

Cheers,
    Bill

8. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Is Shell V-Power the 91 octane stuff - should a person use 91 even if 87 is recommended ?

9. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to see a second car with 50K miles on the odometer tested with this duel fuel system. Then checked at 5K, 10K, and 20K miles to see how well it cleaned baked on carbon.

Most people drive on the cheapest gas they can get. On a new car it might not convince them but seeing the results on a car with mileage similar to what they have on theirs could get a good number to switch brands.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think it's Shell's way of "convincing" the consumer that they "need" 91 octane fuel.
    But I could be wrong.

11. xcel

Hi All:

A little update on what I have been working on all day today...

Dual-Fuel Charger Drive

[​IMG]
    SwRI in San Antonio, TX to NY City, NY

[​IMG]
    NY City, NY to Los Angeles, CA​

The points are either POIs or dual fuel Shell V-Power Plus and Brand (x, y, z) Premium refueling locations.

Wayne