Buying the best grid charger

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by GabbyJohnson, May 4, 2015.

1. GabbyJohnson

GabbyJohnson Member

See my thread below "'05 HCH 1 IMA warning lights. Uh-oh." for full background on my problem.

Now I've decided to buy a grid charger for my '05 Civic Hybrid.

I've narrowed it down to either a Hybrid Automotive or a MAXX VOLTS.
    They both appear to have many features in common, but I'm not sure exactly which features are best. I don't want to go cutting into wiring, or have to send anything back to the mfr.

From experience, can anyone weigh in and tell me which one is best?

2. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

Maxx-Volts is the best buy for your money, just the fact that they have an installed on/off, an installed timer makes it a better unit and buy.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

I disagree.
    Simplicity in a grid charger is best.
    Less to break and render the grid charger unusable.

I would choose Hybrid Automotive
    No on/off switch
    No timer
    Simple.

If you really want a timer, buy an timer that plugs into an outlet from a hardware store.
    And for on/off switch, you can simply install it to a switched outlet.

4. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

Hello Eric,

Well bells and whistles aside the Maxx-Volts has a 3 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty for the Hybrid Automotive flavor. I do agree some what with what you said, but cost being equal the Maxx would be the choice for me. Even out of warranty would be no problem for me to repair the charger with my 36 years as an Electrician/Electronics Technician.

5. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

I have made it very clear in many posts on a few forums that I'm no fan of the Maxx Volts Grid charger. My reasons are many; however, I'm not such an a$$ that I can't give an objective review.

With that intent, I purchased a MV charger via eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351641475458?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I received a package from them on March 11, 2017. Unfortunately, I've been extremely busy, and I haven't had the time to even open it until today.

Well, today I opened it. I got quite the treat. I suspect that Maxx knows of my opinion and either thought it was funny or is just a really vindictive person, but what I received today was an ATX power supply with the harness cut off, three wires stuffed in the hole and the power cord with the end cut off.

The nicest touch was I believe a doggy training pad was included. I'm sure that has some hidden meaning.

Needless to say, I have initiated a return via eBay.

Sad that one is so ashamed of their product, they can't risk scrutiny of a critical eye.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the Maxx Volts "grid charger" I received after paying $349 via the linked auction:

20170325_143505.jpg 20170325_144031.jpg 20170325_144047.jpg 20170325_144057.jpg