LG G4 Preview

Discussion in 'Smartphones and GPS Navigation' started by xcel, Apr 18, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

While the LG G4s full detail will not be released until April 28th, there is some compelling new reasons to consider the all-new LG G4 over its rivals.

The LG G4 intro teaser videos.​

For one, it will have a hand stitched vegetable-tanned leather backing. This is a beautiful and stylish smartphone in no uncertain terms.

The 5.5” IPS Quantum QHD display is 25 percent brighter, has a 20 percent wider color range and is slightly curved compared to its predecessor, the award winning G3.

A 2.5 GHz Quad-Core takes care of the computing power needs. I am guessing as to its memory with 32GBs of onboard – expandable hopefully up to 2TB via MicroXD like the current G3 - and 3GBs of RAM.

Power storage comes from a 3,000 mAh Li-Ion which should keep it running for more than a few hours with the more efficient display while Qi charging just like the G2 and G3 is still onboard.

For the rear camera, a 16 MP unit with a faster Laser Auto Focus and better OIS, dual LED flash, a new color sensor for truer color pics and an F1.8 lens that will help bring low light shots to life. An 8 MP shooter is located up front.

A new light trail effect is available within the camera as well as even more manual control over the camera is standard.

[​IMG]

More than the Galaxy Note4, S6 and M9 in some areas should in turn offer consumers an even better smartphone experience.

Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

LG Electronics this morning stated it will be offering Korean G4 purchasers a free 64 GB MicroSD card and one-year free screen replacement warranty for anyone that purchase a G4 by May 31. Regardless of carrier too.

The company did not provide any initial order promotions for other regions however.

In manual mode, the LG G4 provides the ability to control shutter speed, ISO and white balance with each image.

[​IMG]
    A sample from the upcoming LG G4​

Wayne

3. xcel

Hi All:

Another 15 sec. tease on LG's G4, the company's upcoming halo phone. This time a highlight on the aforementioned vegetable tanned leather back.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/v/mp-3bOFBk6w?version=3[/flash]

And of course the close-up and release invite. Wish I could make it to NY City for the unveil but will have to watch it online like everyone else. :)

[​IMG]

Wayne

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. xcel

Hi All:

More LG G4 teaser vids.

The LG G4 build and the G4s high end camera and lens construction.​

Wayne

5. xcel

Hi All:

I just watched the LG G4 reveal from NY and this smartphone is going to be a game changer given the technology used within the camera, display and software to control your pics and videos like never before. Here is the reveal recap.

Juno Cho, President and CEO of LG Mobile:

The "Visual Generation" want to record their experiences.

The purpose of new innovation must not be used to show off new technology. This is the philosophy of the LG G4.

After a short launch vid ...

"Please say hello to LG G4"

"What actual value would this provide to consumer."

"Exuding elegance and comfort."

"Laser CAM F1.8... It is the closest we have come to emulating what we see with the naked eye."

[​IMG]

G4 offers a "Great Visual Experience."

Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, Executive Chairman Qualcomm:

Features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Processor...

With the Qualcomm Snapdragon 808, you will receive better call and audio quality...

Ability to capture 4k video.

State of the art graphics capability with the Adreno 418 GPU.

The most accurate navigation. 2X more accurate.

Frank Lee, Director Mobile Communications, LG Electronics, USA.

"This phone has been the result of a long journey."

"At LG we are committed to innovation for a better life."

A high capacity 3,000 mAh removal battery.

[​IMG]

"Once you hold it, you will find why the design element makes it so nice to hold."

Even down to the quality of the threads...

The LG G4 separates itself form other smartphones. It creates comfortable elegance.

Now let's look at the camera...

Colby the photographer...

"Take a look at the Manual mode. This takes mobile phone quality to an unprecedented level."

Frank: "Camera launches in just 0.6 seconds."

Photography ...

F number should be as low as possible. Image sensor should be as large as possible.

F1.8 allows about 80 percent more light than a F2.4 in most cameras today.

G4s camera capture more light and allows you to capture a better photo.

The LG G4's OIS 2.0 works twice as good as the previous generation OIS. It means that the LG G4 offers more optical image stabilization than any smartphone on the market including z axis stabilization!

"World's first 'Color Spectrum Sensor'" Both RGB and infrared.

It allows the LG G4 flash to adjust white balance and color.

Lots of comparison to competitors.

Simple, Auto or Manual mode. In manual, you can save your photos in RAW.

The best camera is the one that you have with you at the time.

One cool trick that Manual mode can capture is streaks of light by slowing down the shutter speed.

No worry about storage capacity since the LG G4 has an expandable memory Micro SD slot.

New Gesture shot...

Advert Vid: "Crisp photos in low light with a brighter F1.8 lens."

New IPS Quantum Display... 20 percent better reproduction of color. The revolution is that the IPS display goes even further.

[​IMG]

We boosted brightness by 20 percent. Brightness by 25 percent. Contrast by 50 percent.

"With LGs IPS Quantum Display, you can almost taste the strawberries." <-- When looking at a pint of strawberries with the LG G4 and other smartphones.

To save battery, the CPU is off when looking at these>

Best display quality with real user benefits.

Human-centric UX 4.0...

Allows you to customize.

New Gallery - Memories.

"Smart Bulletin. Multiple apps on the same page."

Calendar Event...

Smart Notice improved. Notifications and alerts are more useable.

In addition to the 15 GBs we all receive on Google Drive, Google is going to provide an additional 100 GBs for the first two years.

LG G4 owners who are also Volkswagen drivers. There is Mirror Link... More as this rolls out.

Visuals on screen.

[​IMG]

Innovation for a better life. See the Great, Feel the Great. LG G4.

Wayne

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Interesting.

Need to upgrade from iPhone 4.

This or S6 at this point, unless I chicken out on Android and go iPhone 6.

anyway, thanks, Wayne for the writeup.

7. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

You are welcome.

A pretty good back to back of the LG G4 and Samsung Galaxy S6 in terms of image and sound quality via photos and video.

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

Been all over the country with 7,500 miles of driving the past few weeks and have another 12,500 to go with the National Park/Monument break-in drive and then 48-State Guinness World Record Attempt. starting on June 22nd.

Saying that, I just picked up two of the brand new LG G4s for use on the upcoming drives. It will be very interesting to see the results of the Sony Lens, low light sensor, laser focus and color correction hardware along with the multitude of software adjustments within.

Will open it them later tonight or tomorrow for the shake down cruise. :)

Wayne

9. xcel

Hi All:

To protect my LG G4, I ordered the following..

LG G4 Case and Screen Protection

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Spigen Rugged Armor case and Skinomi TechSkin screen protector.​

Skinomi TechSkin installation video

Wayne

10. xcel

Hi All:

And now time for some pics from the LG G4. It beats my S5, the Note4 and the S6 both in Auto with a slight amount of over/under exposure of the background depending on what I was focusing on and with far more color punch and detail. Some of the shots from Yellowstone were cropped in by over 600 percent yet the fur detail is still there.

To begin, I picked up the 2015 Golf TDI in its wrapped form in Dallas and had 4,000 miles to break-in the new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. So where do you go from Central Texas when trying to get to Herndon, VA just outside of DC? How about heading north to WY and MT before crossing the country eastbound back towards Chicago and onto Herndon, VA. The Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX sounds like a good start?

2015 VW Golf TDI Guinness World Record Pre-drive

[​IMG]
    To begin, this is the 60th year of VW in America!

[​IMG]
    Picked up the 15 Golf TDI in Dallas, TX the night before. First day shot of the car with the LG G4 from a hotel north of Dallas, TX.​

When picking up supplies the following day at a Walmart in Texas, I saw this.

[​IMG]
    My favorite oil, QuakerState Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic in 5 qt. containers.

[​IMG]
    A Texas locomotive pulling about 200 train cars. They were so long a locomotive was pushing from the back too!​

The 2015 VW Golf TDI S visits Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX, a mecca for artists and Caddy enthusiasts everywhere...

Texas millionaire Stanley Marsh the 3rd was a bit eccentric but well founded. In 1973, Marsh invited a San Francisco artists group called the Ant Farm to create a totally unique work of art on his sprawling ranch near Amarillo.

The result was ten used 48 through 63 Cadillac's buried face first but at an angle into mother earth. Supposedly the Caddys were purchased for ~$200 each from local junk yards. In 1974 the project was completed.

The real story however is visitors across the globe began paying homage to this unique outcropping by tagging and painting the card to their hearts content.

Souvenir hunters soon stripped the cars to the bare metal and with the ever growing thickness of paint, Marsh said, "We think it looks better every year.”

In 1997, the Cadillacs were replanted in the exact same sequence and layout that they were originally buried ~ 2 miles west of the ranch.

Visitors are encouraged to bring a can of spray paint and make your Mark on the ever changing Cadillac Ranch.

Stanley passed away in June of 2014 at the age of 76.

The Cadillac Ranch is located west of Amarillo on old Route 66 along I-40.

[​IMG]
    The art with the Golf TDI.

[​IMG]
    Cadillac Ranch close-up.

[​IMG]
    Refueling for the first time at Shell in the Panhandle of Texas. Dalhart, TX that is.​

This is the first time I was able to get a shot that worked with the highlight in shadow and backdrop in sunlight by manually bumping up ISO in the brand new LG G4. Really liking this smartphone right now! Pics have depth and punch. And this is coming from an amateur. From this point forward, I only needed to get some night shots with the LG G4 to know if I would ever need to pull my Canon out of its bag.

11. xcel

#VWTDI48 #NACOTY #Shell #Goodyear #LGG4 #ScanGauge #Garmin

Hi All:

As the Golf TDI headed to Colorado, a quick stop at the NM border sign for the first twilight pic with the all-new LG G4 using manual flash. Not bad as the Golf TDI heads towards Colorado for a run to the top of Pikes Peak.

[​IMG]
    New Mexico border.

[​IMG]
    Raton Pass - 7,834' ASL.​

The 2015 VW Golf TDI on its maiden voyage was in the "Race to the Clouds" up the spectacularly beautiful Pikes Peak Highway to the 14,110' summit of Pikes Peak.

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and the "Race to the Clouds" is just one of this mountains claims to fame.

For the rest of us it is an opportunity to drive to the top of the second highest drivable peak in North America. The drivable Mt Evans summit just miles away has a 200' elevation advantage.

According to Wiki, Pikes Peak is the highest summit of the Front Range of the Rockies at 14,115 feet. 14,110 for us. The summit is higher than any point in the United States east of its location.

Pikes Peak is one of Colorado's 53 fourteeners, mountains that rise more than 14,000 feet above sea level.

American explorer Zebulon Pike named the mountain "Highest Peak" in 1806, and the mountain was later commonly known as "Pike's Highest Peak". The mountain was later renamed "Pike's Peak" in honor of Like, then simplified to "Pikes Peak" by the United States Board on Geographic Names in 1890.

The first European-American to climb the peak came 14 years after Pike's expedition in the summer of 1820. Edwin James, a young student from Vermont, and two other men climbed the peak in just two days without drama.

In July of 1893, Katharine Lee Bates wrote the song "America the Beautiful", after having admired the view from the top of Pikes Peak. A plaque commemorating the words to her song is located at the summit...

As the Golf TDI climbed through the 12,300' elev., a loud pop occurred. I thought it may have been a Pepsi exploding in the cooler but after opening it up, everything was intact. What exploded was my not yet opened bag of Animal crackers. There were animal crackers everywhere.

So I tried to get the Golf TDI to the summit but the attempt was thwarted by snow fall as the Rangers closed the road at the 12,100' elevation. About 30 minutes later they allowed me to climb to 13,100'. At the 13,411' elevation level just 700' from the summit I was told nobody is going any further that day.

That sucked but it was for safety reasons as a storm was rolling in and they expected a 6" to 12" snow fall to occur that afternoon.

[​IMG]
    Pikes Peak and the animal cracker explosion. ;)

[​IMG]
    Pikes Peak Snowman.

[​IMG]
    Pikes Peak - Road Closed due to weather 13,411' ASL.

[​IMG]
    Got Snow?​

12. xcel

Just a few miles up I-25 from the Pikes Peak Highway entrance is the U.S. Air Force Academy. Another must see venue.

The military academy educates officer candidates for the United States Air Force with the stated mission is "to educate, train, to become officers of character, motivated to lead the United States Air Force in service to our nation."

Tuition along with room and board are all paid for by the U.S. government. Cadets receive a monthly stipend, but incur a commitment to serve a number of years of military service after graduation.

Graduates of the Academy's four-year program receive a Bachelor of Science degree, and are commissioned as second lieutenants in the United States Air Force. The Academy is also one of the largest tourist attractions in Colorado, attracting more than a million visitors each year. Looking below I think you can see why.

What I found unique is there is no BS distractions anywhere near the campus. There is school and your dorm. Meaning serious study is in order to produce some of America’s finest.

A short and out of the blue visit to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO shows off the 2015 VW Golf TDI in a very unique manner. But first, the all-new LG G4 just rocked it in the low light of the Cadet Chapel. Talk about a game changer!!!

[​IMG]
    What is that back there?

[​IMG]
    Beautiful Air Force Academy Entry.

[​IMG]
    Air Force Academy Chapel Exterior.

[​IMG]
    Air Force Academy Chapel Interior. Light was low and distances were long yet the LG G4 still brought out detail that no other smartphone can touch.

[​IMG]
    Back of the Air Force Academy Chapel showing the large pipe organ.

[​IMG]
    Even the pew ends have a decorative Air Force look.​

After a long day up near the Peak and a few hours at the Air Force Academy, it is time for a little dinner at my favorite steak house.

[​IMG]
    Texas Roadhouse in CO.​

13. xcel

Hi All:

Next stop, the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody, WY. But first, the 2015 VW Golf TDI reaches Wyoming. "Forever West" is probably true. Feels like Montana without the mountains.

[​IMG]
    WY at dusk. The low light capabilities of the LG G4 are really shining through here. The S5 was a mess by comparison.​

While on US 20 West the following day, I came across a festival of some sort in the town of Shoshoni, WY. Turns out it is a tractor show with attendance from all over the county. A must stop for a road warrior no matter how little time available.

With a current population of just over 600, the townspeople sure know how to put on a show! And the cowboys and girls of all ages are the friendliest people on earth.

Glad I stopped in Shoshoni, Wyoming.

[​IMG]
    Steam driven Tractor in Shoshoni​

While on the way to Cody, WY, you will drive through some very beautiful looking canyons with tunnels to get into and out of them.

[​IMG]
    A WY canyon

[​IMG]
    More…​

Wayne

14. xcel

The 2015 VW Golf TDI reaches the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, WY!

[​IMG]
    Buffalo Bill Center of the West hosts the 2105 VW Golf TDI.​

This is the "Smithsonian of the West." A stunning display of the Wild West in a way we may have briefly experienced or read about but brings it to life. If you are heading to Yellowstone, do not bypass this superb world class museum of U.S. history through the eyes of one of the most inspirational characters of the 1800 and early 1900s.

From the Buffalo Bill Center of the West: The Mission of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is to inspire, educate, and engage global audiences through an authentic experience with the American West.

The story of the West is uniquely American — An account with which all Americans can identify. Exploring the American West through art, science, culture, and history allows us to reconnect with a sense of place found nowhere else on earth.

The Spirit of the American West is a story that began thousands of years ago.

Native Americans were first, drawn to the bounty and beauty of the new land. They touched lightly upon the land and lived in harmony with it and became connected.

Then the explorers and pioneers came, along with the settlers, ranchers, and cowboys — rugged people, willing to risk all with courage and vision.

The story tells of those who came to change the land, and were changed by it. The people of the West had their struggles and triumphs, heartbreaks and humor; their stories became a mosaic of myth, of legend, and of fact. It is the Spirit of the American West, and it is a story that must be told.

William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, explorer and frontiersman, soldier and scout, actor and showman, entrepreneur and civic leader is highlighted. Through characters, voices, artifacts, and legends, Cody weaved a colorful tapestry that brought to life the Spirit of the American West. Even today, his legacy continues to shape how we think about our history and the American character.

Compelling exhibits, programs, and outreach offer visitors from around the world an opportunity to connect to the American West in a very personal way.

First the Red Tailed Hawk and two different types of owls...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here again I am cropping into the hi res LG G4 pics by 300+ percent and most of the detail is still there.

15. xcel

At the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, the Whitney Western Art Museum was my favorite from this historic locale. Here are a few of the highlights from within.

Buffalo Bill Center of the West

[​IMG]
    Where Elegance Meets Fear <-- Fascinating painting close up and from the hi res pic!

[​IMG]
    Cowboys in Snow.

[​IMG]
    Moose sculpture

[​IMG]
    Busting broncos.

[​IMG]
    End of the Trail​

Can your smartphone capture this detail in museum light? My S5 could not but the LG G4 performed admirably.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  16. xcel

Buffalo Bill Center of the West - Plains Indian Museum

[​IMG]
    A TeePee in very low light.

[​IMG]
    Sad Indian and horse sculpture.

Buffalo Bill Center of the West - Draper Natural History Museum

[​IMG]
    Buffalo Bill Center of the West - Big Horn Sheep

Buffalo Bill Center of the West - Cody Firearms Museum

[​IMG]
    More firearms than you could possibly count!​

I only scratched the surface as I have about three times this many pics I could post and that was only 1/20th of what was on display at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum. Simply a fascinating visit and I hope everyone has the opportunity to visit. It is that good!

17. xcel

The 2015 VW Golf TDI reaches Yellowstone!

Yellowstone, the first National Park in the world, is known for its wildlife and geothermal features. The region has been inhabited for at least 11,000 years but organized exploration did not begin until the late 1860s.

Yellowstone Lake is one of the largest high-elevation lakes in North America and is centered over the Yellowstone super volcano that has erupted with tremendous force several times over the last two million years.

The 2015 VW Golf TDI approximately 750' above Lake Yellowstone in Yellowstone National Park.

[​IMG]

The LG G4 is really doing a great job in low light compared to my usual garbage low light shots from my S5.

Yellowstone Park is the largest and most famous location in the Continental United States for Grizzly Bears, wolves, and free-ranging herds of bison and elk. The Yellowstone Park bison herd is the oldest and largest public bison herd in the United States.

On the way to Lake Lodge within the Park after dark, I passed two Elk about 30' off the road. By the time I stopped and snapped a pic into the blackness, they were long gone. I passed a black bear in the ditch within about 3 to 4' from the Golf TDI but I was not going to mess with him. So cool to see a black bear in the Wild even if for a fleeting moment!

2015 VW Golf TDI took me to the Lake Lodge within Yellowstone National Park. While expensive, the recently renovated cabins interiors look great and was very comfortable despite no Wi-Fi or TV.

The following morning I had breakfast at the Lodge itself. Similar to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island but a much nicer view outside the restaurant. See how I parked the Golf TDI next to the Lake while snapping a pic from the restaurant front porch. ;)

[​IMG]
    Yellowstone Lake Day​

While on the way to Old Faithful, I stopped twice to capture two different Elk in two different locations. First about 25' off the roadway. Second about 75' down in a gully. I cropped this one in about 300 percent – the LG G4 continues to take beautiful pics for a smartphone – giving you an idea what you can see in Yellowstone National Park.

[​IMG]
    Yellowstone Elk just hanging out.​

Old Faithful is a prime attraction with its 3.5 to 8.5k gallon discharge and 106 to 190' ft max height release. It was a bit on the weak side this time around however.

[​IMG]
    Old Faithful​

While exiting Yellowstone, there were hundreds of Bison and Pronghorn Antelope, some within feet of the 2015 VW Golf TDI to watch. I thought these shots and Pronghorn Antelope crop was worth posting.

[​IMG]
    A lone Buffalo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pronghorn Antelope​

After leaving Yelloowstone on the northeast end, the Beartooth Highway was calling. It is one of the most scenic highways in all of North America and was just opened for the season.

Unfortunately a thick cloud cover above 9,000' ASL left visibility measured in feet vs tens of miles. I crossed into MT in the soup at about 10,500' ASL.

[​IMG]
    WY/MT border crossing on the Beartooth Hwy.​

18. xcel

I stopped at a Shell in Gillette, WY to give the 2015 North American Car of the Year, Golf TDI a little Go Juice.

In the Shell station they had one of those old pump mockups with gum balls inside. I am a sucker for these kinds of things. ;)

[​IMG]
    Shell bubble gum pump.​

Next up on the break-in drive is a geological formation made famous by the movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” starring Richard Dreyfuss. Can you name it?

So I am driving the VW Golf TDI down the road when I see this formation jutting up some 1,267 feet above the surrounding terrain like a jagged spear. What could it be? Thanks go to Theodore Roosevelt for preserving "Devils Tower" with a summit topping at 5,114 feet above sea level for the rest of us with his first use of the Antiquities Act in 1906.

[​IMG]
    Devils Tower ahead.

[​IMG]
    Devils Tower up close and personal.

[​IMG]
    A Prairie Dog just outside the monuments shadow. Again I cropped into the hi res LG G4 shot about 400 percent and much of the animals detail is still there.​

19. xcel

So long Devils Tower National Monument, hello South Dakota and the Mount Rushmore National Monument.

Mount Rushmore is a sculpture of the heads of four U.S. Presidents carved by Danish-American Gutzon Borglum and his son, Lincoln Borglum into the granite face of Mount Rushmore. The 60’ heads include George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

South Dakota historian Doane Robinson is credited with the idea to sculpt four famous Americans. Borglum decided the sculpture should have a more national focus and chose the four presidents whose likenesses would be carved into the mountain. After securing federal funding, construction on the memorial began in 1927 with the presidents' faces completed by 1939. When Gutzon Borglum's died in March 1941, his son Lincoln Borglum took over the final construction said to show the Presidents from head to waist. Lack of funds with WW-II overseas supplies needs forced construction to end in late October 1941.

Playing with ISO and shutter with the LG G4. The two last photos of Mount Rushmore are with backlit overcast behind.

[​IMG]
    Why look at that!

[​IMG]
    The entry walk flags.​

Adjusting the LG G4 to 1/4 of a second shutter for a decent shot of Mount Rushmore and the National Park Service Ranger lighting presentation with little ambient light. Not bad for a smartphone imho.

[​IMG]
    Mt Rushmore and the National Park Service presentation.

[​IMG]
    The faces.​

20. xcel

Rest areas always tell a story and this one in Central SD tells about the home of "Little House on the Prairie" author Laura Ingalls Wilder. A little about her anyway.

She was born on Feb. 7, 1867 and lived to see her 90th birthday. She was an American writer whose “Little House on the Prairie” books written between 1932 and 1943 and based on her childhood in a settler family made her famous.

[​IMG]
    SD Rest Area displays​

Every place and every person has a story...

A quick visit to the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. First built in 1892, it is now a SD tradition honoring the state's early beginnings, change and growth. Over 275,000 ears of different color corn grown in color specific fields are used to decorate the yearly changing murals both inside and out.

I did not post a number of interior shots as I am running out of time.

Admission is free with hours of operation from 08:30 am to 09:00 pm daily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]