Mountain Turtle

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by Homeboymi, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Homeboymi

Homeboymi Member

I got behind a Prius coming down the mountain today. He was only doing 30-35 mph coasting down the hills and around the curves. My 93 Cavalier was coasting much faster even with the 5 speed in 4th gear. Normally, I coast around 40-50 on these hills and curves. His brake lights weren't on so how come he was coasting so slow?:confused::confused:

2. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

He may have been in 'B' mode regenerative braking. The Prius has fewer 'downshift' choices than your 5 speed.

3. Homeboymi

Homeboymi Member

Not very considerate to the people in the line of cars behind him. He even held his left arm out of the window like he was on a Sunday drive. No wonder there is "road rage". I got a good look at him when we got down the mountain and into town. Typical anus aperture with a big grin.:stickshift:

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Homeboymi:

What were the PSLs on this San Diego mountain road with the curves?

Wayne

5. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

Should I say the same about the guys descending the long steep Pikes Peak road in front of me in 2nd gear, at a speed lower than my Prius's B mode could get any meaningful engine braking, forcing me to use heavier braking than if I could have descended unimpeded?

No. It was a perfectly reasonable speed to prevent brake overheating in their particular cars. (That road even has a mandatory brake temperature checkpoint, and I witnessed another vehicle ushered over into the 30 minute brake cooling timeout zone.) It isn't their fault that different cars, such as mine, have different engine sizes / gearing / weight, thus have different reasonable descent speeds.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Does a guy who calls himself "Homeboy" even LOOK at speed limit signs ?

My own descent speeds are based on fear of getting a ticket. And as you know , there are NO hills in Illinois anyway. And certainly no hills combined with tight turns. I generally just go as fast as the car wants to and still maintain 60+ MPG.

7. Homeboymi

Homeboymi Member

What are PSLs?:confused:

8. Homeboymi

Homeboymi Member

This was clearly done intentionally. He had 15 cars behind him riding their brakes because he was going so slow for the conditions. I was just curious how you people can coast so slow and not use your brakes.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    PSL Posted speed limit
    BRAKING is POISON for a hyper miler-even forced regen braking is poison-he wasn't one of us.

What was the speed limit??
    Most of us keep an eye on traffic behind us-and drive with other folks in mind
    Being polite in other words.
    Of course we rarely break the speed limit(except DOWNHILL which is free energy- more properly it is energy we already paid for)

What road was this-we can look up the posted speed limit??
    30-35 on a 35 mph road-is about right
    downhill is one place hyper milers might BREAK the speed limit

Yeah safe bet he WASN'T one of us-we WOULD/MIGHT have been speeding
    (now I never do-but I have HEARD that other hyper milers do slightly exceed the speed limit on downhill stretches)

For example-I suspect Edwin the Magnificent is a secret downhill speeder!!

Seriously we-hypermilers-avoid the brake pedal and avoid regenerative braking
    Braking of any sort is worse than the GO pedal

Braking is POISON for a hyper miler!!
    And downhills-some hyper milers MIGHT exceed the speed limit-but will certainly edge right up to it
    This guy WASN'T one of us- he needs to learn how to drive for mpg and for manners.

10. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

The same way any other car goes slower downhill: downshift. The Prius just has fewer low gear choices, i.e. just one, called 'B'.

Cruise Control can also be used to control downhill speed. It will modulate the amount of engine braking.

What was the PSL (posted speed limit)? How steep and long was the hill?

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Jeez , now my secret's out. But I would NEVER EVER drive an Audi downhill thru the mountains in New Mexico at 85 MPH. ;)

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Right. And I would never ... Honda ... Utah... :eek:

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Gotta love driving thru the mountains. Especially when you come from the flatlands like I do. :) I found that my Civic Si could handle ANY grade I tried in fifth , as long as I hit it at 65 MPH. Which was a slow speed for the young buckaroo I was in the 90's.

14. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hah!!
    Smoked both of you secret speeders out!!
    Andrew and Edwin admitting to being SS members(Secret Speeders)

Andrew-being a former Pacific Island inhabitant
    you must have followed the storm that devastated Vanuatu ??
    We became aware there was such a place about 8 years ago when we had to start ordering my wife's meds from overseas(India)
    For "some reason" the meds were always stamped mailed from Vanuatu-despite originating in India??
    We looked it up-pretty much middle of nowhere Pacific island maybe 1000 miles off the coast of Australia-absolutely nothing else near it-really really remote