IMA battery #3!

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by cswee1932, Feb 26, 2015.

1. cswee1932

cswee1932 Well-Known Member

Well, will be getting my ima battery replaced for the second time in less than 4 1/2 years...at least they gave these components a good warranty! Too bad they're all refurbs, but they're better than nothing I guess! I love this car so much, just can't believe what a mess the battery components are!

Chris

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I wish Honda had fixed them right the first time. They're giving hybrids a bad name.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Who are you getting the battery from? Honda, or?

I'm thinking Honda's battery would be new cells, recycled case and electronics maybe.

Did you get all the software updates?

4. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

The cells in these sticks aren't being made for Honda anymore. They switched to Lithium for the 2012 model year, so anything much past 2011 is likely a mix of NOS and refurbed sticks with the ratio getting worse every passing moment.

Aftermarket packs from Bumblebee and Hybrid Revolt use higher capacity, lower IR new sticks made in China. Both outfits have their own internal quality control system to screen incoming new sticks. IIRC, BumbleBee has stated a 1 in 400 failure rate on incoming sticks and a 2% failure rate (inside 3 years) for packs. Both companies have been at this for several years.

The consensus in the Honda Insight/HCH1 community is that these packs are better than the Honda packs ever were. As the HCH2 population warranty fall-outs increase, I expect they will become the preferred solution as well.

5. cswee1932

cswee1932 Well-Known Member

Mendel, this is coming from Honda as the IMA components still fall under the 11yr/147k mile warranty, and when talking to American Honda they are refurbs/re manufactured parts, unless purchased new. I'm hoping I can get another 3 years out of this pack as I'll likely surpass the warranty period by then.

Too bad they can't retrofit Li battery tech. To these older models.

Chris

6. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

What I'd really like is when my current CA2 pack fails, is to buy a complete new pack from Bumblebee or Revolt, with the Genesis One conditioner harnesses already integrated, and have the ability to flash back to the original IMA programming. The car I have now is NOT the car I bought 9 years ago, and that really pisses me off.

7. Mendel Leisk

ReInvolt is no more, well, they were bought up by Dorman, the ReInvolt founder is working for them. They're still an option, in Canada I've heard they sell through NAPA. In the States via various retailers, Pep Boys for one I think. Another name is GreenTec. I've corresponded with them by email, prior to our replacement, seemed ok, but not sure.

Ours had a (first) battery replacement in Jan, 2014. After lights FINALLY went on. Battery supplied by Honda Canada, only had to pay labour, under $200. Car slightly out of warranty.

I've driven the car recently, around 20,000 kms more on the odo, and it's driving good, no nonsense. Knock on wood...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Hybrid Revolt <> ReInvolt. Two different companies, and ReInvolt was indeed bought by Dorman.

Hybrid Revolt is located here in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Having some experience with both packs and sticks, I would encourage you to pursue grid charging even before the warranty period is out. The biggest issue with these packs is imbalance, and excessive self-discharge is the biggest culprit. Regular (every 2-3 months) grid charging goes a long way towards extending pack life. Couple that with an occasional deep discharge, and you can see years of life added to a pack that's not too abused.

Steve

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Not at all. Hybrid sales have trended up. Buyers know Honda's problems aren't a hybrid problem.

10. Mendel Leisk

Ah whoops. Thanks.