New scan gauge 2 owner

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by doless, Dec 5, 2014.

1. doless

doless New Member

hey there, been averaging 38-41 mpg average per tank based on my fill up calculations for the last few months.

I drive a 2004 civic lx 5 speed, i'm in college and enjoy saving all the money i can.

Everyone has been telling me to get a sg2 so when amazon had a cyber monday flash sale for $107 shipped i bit the bullet.

So far i calibrated the engine size, the cutoff to 4 above tps at idle (so cutoff is 13) and mode to hybrid (so that it won't think i'm using fuel when i turn the engine off at long stops/ext).

Aside from the first 2 tank fill up calibrations are there any more i should do?/any tips?

Sorry i'm not the greatest with technology but i'm having fun with this thing and hoping to get it set up as best as i can.

thanks

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

My biggest tip: use the AVG gauge. Trip average mpg. Work to keep it moving up during the whole drive. You'll hit a stop, or a hill, or something that drops it, but then work to get it back above where it was before the next "event".

You have a manual Civic. That is an EXCELLENT platform for high mpg. Use neutral liberally, shift early and keep the rpm low but moderate pressure on the gas pedal (LOD gauge 75 or so).