98 Chevy Cheyenne

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by cces_2009, Jun 16, 2007.

1. cces_2009

cces_2009 New Member

hello everyone,
    i drive a '98 chevy cheyenne. a gas guzzler, yes. a pain at the pump, naturally. i have a twenty gallon tank and get about 400 miles to a tank, so that equals out to about 20 mpg at its best. i do not know if this is exceptional for a vehichle of this type or not. i know i am certainly not happy with its mpg though. i drive about 20 miles a day to work (and back), so about a total of 40 miles a day, which equals out to about 6 dollars a day to get to my job. so i appreciate any help/tips/suggestions, anything at all.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

If this makes you feel anybetter just remember that for each 1mpg improvement you make, you are saving 3-4 times the money Prius and Insight drivers are making.

If you don't already know about ScanGage, it's a great tool (at www.scangage.com ). It gives you rea-time fuel consumption, and about 20 other bits of info - way beyond the three-gage cluster and only needs a plug into a socked under your steering column and some velcro tape (supplied with the kit). Like it so much I've upgraded from ScanGage I to ScanGage II!
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi CCES 2009:

___You can improve your FE in anything including a full-sized P/U truck but in this case, there may be an alternative … Depending on your total miles traveled, gasoline may be costing you more then the gas and payment on a newer and more efficient automobile? A friend of mine, Jesus parked his somewhat beat, V8 equipped gas guzzling Ford F-150 (15 - 18 mpg) at 300 miles per week and purchased a relatively stripped down Yaris for $12,500. Once I pointed out the math on keeping the beast going (it was beginning to nickel and dime him to death) at $3.00 + per, the light bulb went off. Not less then a week later, a new Toyota Yaris was in his drive for his daily commuter. He still uses the F-150 for his businesses but not more then 20 miles per week now vs. 300 + previously. A prominent member here (Brick) was driving an older Accord w/ a stick and after doing the math over a 5-year payback period, he now owns a Prius-II. I am not saying you have to downsize to a much more fuel efficient automobile as 20 in a Cheyenne is decent but at maybe 250 miles per week including your commute and a few Saturday and Sunday drives, just consider it is all.

___And about moving that thing up the scale, by all means as we have a lot to offer … The 98 half ton with the 6 and a stick was rated at 17/23. It gets worse as you move down the list of course. A 20 mpg combined is decent FE if you happen to own that ICE and tranny combo? First, it is time to start recording your FE data. Without knowing exactly what you are pulling tank over tank currently, you have no baseline for which to improve upon. After 2 tanks or so, you will become quite adept at recording the data and enjoying the fruits of your new found habits. I would press up your tires immediately. A minimum of MAX sidewall is a good start. On her next oil change, give her the lightest weight oil recommended for that ICE and maybe a new air filter will take care of the maintenance side of the equation. An SG-II for feedback will pay for itself in no time and the techniques we have spelled out are as sound as a rock.

___As for P/U truck drives, watch SlowHands. He moved up in his Ranger P/U mightily. Not 6 months ago, he was running in the low to mid 20’s. He is now punching out 40 mpg segments while throwing the book at her. I would say the Cheyenne could be worth 30 mpg with a little less effort but that remains to be seen. I would prefer everyone including yourself ease into hypermiling as it is not something that can be achieved overnight without learning, practicing on back roads for safety’s sake and then applying what you have learned to your daily grind. Safety first as we have had a few new members go right for the big numbers and blasted through stop signs w/out brakes and such not knowing what the heck they were doing :rolleyes: The numbers will not come using that approach anyway so ease into it with whatever you feel comfortable with and look at it as a continuous improvement process. In 3 or 6 months, you could become the most fuel efficient Cheyenne driver on the Continent if not the Planet if you take this to heart. We don’t have many Cheyenne drivers around these parts as you can tell so becoming #1 in that segment should be pretty easy :D

___I hope you enjoy what you have seen here at CleanMPG. Ease into it by take each technique as a new opportunity to make yourself a better albeit safer driver by becoming more attentive to your surroundings and how it/they interact with your goals. The numbers will definitely come but we want to make sure your Cheyenne arrives home each and every day in the same condition it left in the morning. That goes for you too ;)

___Good Luck and welcome to CleanMPG.

4. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

:eek: (SlowHands blushes deep beet red) Thanks Wayne! Well, actually I've only been at this since the beginning of May, and the 96 typically was 19-21 mpg... and now pretty consistently for the regular commutes I'd say mid-30s, and I do indeed have probably about 8-10 times now of over 40mpg.

I think you could indeed be surprised with what you can do with that truck, ScanGauge is definitely your friend. Take the mild techniques first, they can make a noticeable difference. Good luck to you!