Datsun 280ZX Turbo Hypermiling?

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Sortin, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Sortin

Sortin Member

Lacking most of the things that make "hypermiling" possible with hybrids and newer cars, I drive my 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo to and from work, about 30 miles each way. Over about the last 2 years, my mileage has gone from 24mpg on average, to about 21mpg.

I've now gone two tanks since finding this site. On the first tank, I tried very hard to save on gas. I accelerated slowly, watched lights (and brake lights) to predict stopping times, coasted when possible, I even tried drafting and cutting the engine at lights when it was convenient. I got the best mileage I've seen in this car since taking it on a highway trip (~28mpg), and considering I drive home from work and part of the way to work in heavy traffic, I think the ~27mpg I got was pretty impressive.

But I started thinking about what car I'd end up buying next. And I don't think it'll be nearly as sporty, and decided to ease my restrictions. I'm still keeping it under 55 when I can (no trucks on my bumper), and watching my acceleration, and of course still timing lights. After the 2nd tank, I got almost 26.5mpg.

So it seems I can even do better than the 24mpg I got before, but probably not much over 27mpg with traffic. Which for a 24 year old sportscar, I think is pretty darn good.

Just a darn shame I have to keep it out of boost range, that's what makes the car most fun :(

2. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

OK, story time.

I got a chance to meet Al Goertz, because my Father-In-Law, FIL, (got to go with the flow with the CMPG TLA-philia) worked in a studio with him for a few years. My FIL had bought a 1972 Silver 240Z in NYC (see, TLA, but no glossary needed) ended up selling me the Z shortly after my son was born.

After so many years of driving a vanpool, the 240Z was so much fun. But, buy a house, or buy a winter car. Hmmmm. Not a tough choice. House won, Z got rust rot, the end.

Here's the kicker. I ended up with a 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan, that in *EVERY* metric outperformed the 240Z. (Oh, and also so out performed the 1972 Datsun 510 2 Door I had back in the late 70s.) And when I finally replaced my Civic last year, I bought a 2006 Honda Civic Si that in every metric outperforms your 280ZX.

And, with a little help from my friends, I'm getting mid-to-high 30s right now.
    (Even with the occasional i-VTEC-YO! runs.)

Good software makes modern cars more fun *AND* better for the environment *AND* safer.

-mr. bill

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Hi Mrbill and Sortin,
    I know modern cars are better for the environment, safer and faster, but my 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint was an awful lot of fun. Best mileage was probably around 33, but 30 was common. Driving east I could go from St. Louis to Ohio without stopping for gas -- pretty good in those days.
    --Walter