Eco Towing with Prius C 1575 lbs est 46mpg

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by priusCpilot, Oct 25, 2014.

1. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I have been pulling with my C.

Did 120 miles climbed to 2700 feet.

Trailer and PWC plus 2 passengers = 1575

Temps all good!

MG1 = 208f

HV Battery = 92.3-103f

Inverter = 88 - 103

ICE = 194f

I used the a Eco Hitch from Torklift which is the best one!

Firestone Ride-Rite rear air bags.

Prius V PIP trailer harness modified to work on a C by me.

Trailer is aluminum. I also added all LED lights for added safety.

Upgrading tires to redials.

I can climb mountains at 50+mph if I wish.

The Injen intake is the only dyno proven intake to ad power to the Prius and I love the extra power you can feel.

Beats 15mpg using a truck!

Jay and xcel like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Re: Eco Towing with Prius C 1575lbs est 46mpg

That's awesome , George !

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I assume the Owner's Manual explicitly forbids towing. Sorry, I've got mixed feelings about this: what about the poor guy who buys your car when you sell or trade-in?

4. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

That is why he monitored all the temps, if he didn't have any steep hills there is no reason to be worried about the drivetrain.

5. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

For some reason there's a class I receiver on my Echo. Not sure I'd ever attempt towing, these cars just aren't made for it. CAFE killed off all the cars with much serious towing capability. Sounds like the C took on the challenge well, though. Congrats on the impressive numbers!

6. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Show us some pics

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

PWC??
    What is a PWC?
    In any case-just 600 lbs more total weight(guessing the Prius is supposed to be able to carry 5 USA-E-INS-which could easily mean 1000 lbs-
    Heck it could easily mean 1100 lbs if the Humans were a modest 220 lbs each.
    In any case if you keep your speed and climbing acceleration reasonable-shouldn't be too big a deal.
    PS Yeah I KNOW that the actual allowed load is probably something like 850 lbs
    But Toyota certainly KNOWS USA-E-INS are fat
    and certainly will overload their cars
    so they design them with plenty of margin
    My guess is braking and handling etc is a bigger deal weight wise(in setting weight limits)-than drivetrain wear
    Engines transmissions -rarely wear out now-a-days- before the car is junk for some other reason

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

It states not recommended only.

I'm very careful with it. As a matter of fact. I have seen higher temps in the summer city traffic then I have seen on highway cruising and towing.

9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I tried to upload one but it say it was to big. Only lets you upload 93k lol?

10. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

PWC = Personal Water Craft.

I believe total wight in the car is rated at 882lbs?

I change HSD oil every 30k. I will also change my oil a bit sooner. It will be a full time tow vehicle my PWC.

Ill send my oil in to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

I'm also thinking about switch to a 0w-30 for summer time possible?

11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Thanks Edwin!

12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

PWC a jet ski.
    So 1575 -875=700
    700 lbs over doesn't seem too excessive.
    I would bet the limits are aimed more at braking and handling safely
    than " you will break your drivetrain"
    Engines transmissions are pretty durable now
    and you are taking precautions-monitoring temps changing fluids
    I wouldn't worry much about breaking it-
    downhill braking and handling could be tricky,but you know that so you go easy on the GO PEDAL

Heck when I was a young kid people -1950's
    Folks towed whatever they needed to tow
    with whatever they had-the family car-a four door sedan or SW
    Yes towing with those PITIFUL drum brakes mushy suspensions-must have been EXTREMELY dangerous-but folks took that into account-and SLOWED DOWN(well the ones with any sense-maybe 1/3)
    In the hands of a hypermiler(compulsively slow and usually careful drivers)the prius will do just fine-

Luck
    Charlie
    PS Doesn't Toyota discourage receiver hitches(for bike racks)-and hitch baskets??

13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I use very safe driving practices when towing.

I keep large 10+ car lengths

My speed when towing is 50-60mph with a 55mph target.

The C can stop from 60-0 in 121 feet!

A 2015 F150 with 2.7 Eco Boost did it in 127 feet.

The C can beat many cars and trucks in a 60-0.

The regen brakes help with that a lot.

When I go down hills, I have been using B mode engine brake

Works very good!

Tha Yaris in the UK can tow up to 1215lbs with no trailer brakes. This is even with the 1.0L engine.

My trailer and PWC comes in at 1125lbs.

If you have trailer brakes you can tow 1975lbs.

This is straight from Toyota UK!

The C has Yaris chassis but further reinforced and stiffen.

The Yaris also has a hitch Toyota sells for bikes.

For the C it states Not Recommended.

There are a lot of things we people do that are not recommend. It all depends on the circumstances and other factors.

I will not tow more then this unless I have trailer brakes. I will then never exceeded my hitch limit of 2000lbs and 200lbs tongue weight.

The car stops very good but I may upgrade my brake pads if I feel I need to.

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

When I had my 89 Civic Si , Honda did not recommend trailer towing at all. I bought a small flat bed trailer and used it to move some vending machines around , and one time I brought home a BMW R100/RT. With 108 HP and short gearing , the engine had no problem with that load. I did not exceed 55 mph and did not load the engine too much , shifting at 3500.
    Beats the hell out of owning a pickup , which I did when I was younger.

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

My car is not rated for towing and may void the warranty if I do (stated in the manual). But the same car, built in the same factory in Suzuka, Japan and then shipped to Australia, is rated to tow 450 kg unbraked and 1000 kb with trailer brakes.

:confused:

The manufacturer is protecting themselves from liability, and driving sales of larger, more profitable models for folks who want to tow. It's a win-win for them.

16. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

This must be the main reason. In Europe the hatchback is like there truck. They don't buy real trucks unless it is needed for work. Yet all the cars are rated to tow.

17. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

That's a good thing. Unibodies can't tow, say, a 20' Airstream like the body on frame beasts of yore, but for a u-haul trailer, pulling a motorcycle, etc. they are fine. Few people really pull stuff anyway. But, a lot of people use that to justify buying a pickup. Me? I'd rather have a 20-25mpg body-on-frame wagon with a V8 than a pickup. Even a unibody wagon, ich as te '00 Passat my Dad had would be nice, it set a very high bar for quality, fun-to-drive, and utility. And I think a lot of people would be better served by cars which could tow vs. a truck. Convincing them would be a problem though...

18. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That reminds me of the truck here at work that one coworker sold to another. Five years and two owners later, it had a hitch with a shiny chrome ball - never used even once. It most definitely could tow, but never did.

19. Sleepy Tiger

Sleepy Tiger New Member

Does the engine get noisier when towing even on flat terrain? I imagine when going uphill with a trailer/1000 lb load, the engine will rev higher and make more noise. This is tolerable if it happens once in a while, but if it makes that constant drone it could get pretty annoying. I am thinking about a 1000 lb camping trailer but am wondering if the noise is going to be a factor. Any comments George, or other towers?

20. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

When I spent time in East Germany in the 1970's, I saw the 2 cycle, 30hp, 1100 lbs Trabant car towing all manner of small trailers, the most extreme being the rear half of a Trabant, complete with passengers. This last was very slow on the up hills. Since there was a 10- to 12 year wait to buy a new Trabant, their owners wouldn't have done anything that might have shortened their car's life. In East Germany, a used Trabant cost more than a new one, a used one you could buy immediately, a new one required a 10+ year wait for your name to work up to the top of the list. As soon as you took delivery of a new one, you immediately put your name down on the list to buy a new one.

In Japan, they use large motorcycles to tow cars.

When I used to tow trailers with my 68 VW bug, I would never exceed 80% throttle (except for a pulse in an emergency) and accepted whatever speed that power level would give me. It took additional power to get up to speed and to climb hills, but when the trailer didn't increase the aero drag very much, it took very little more power to maintain a constant speed on a flat road. I would typically use my normal (no trailer) throttle levels and accept a slower acceleration rate and a slower speed on the up hills.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    BillLin and xcel like this.