08 civic hybrid

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Alansr, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Alansr

Alansr Member

I recently bought an 08 civic hybrid with 24k on it. I mainly drive it about 160 miles a day and normally around 75-77mph. I'm getting 32-33mpg...does this sound normal? I,be been reading a lot here before registering and just filled my tires from 28psi to 40psi.
    Since I drive so much I want to get every mile out of it as possible.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Raising the tire pressures as you've done should help, a lot. 28 psi is lower even than the recommended pressure (on sticker in driver's door frame). What are the tires on it?

75-77 mph is gonna be a factor too. Slowing down to 55, you'll greatly reduce wind resistance, rpm etc.

24k miles is quite low: do you know any details on why?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Like Mendel said , slow down. You may not want to hear that , or follow it , but there's a huge difference between 65 and 77 mph when it comes to fuel economy. Going 55 would be even better , but only you can decide what's right for you. I'm driving 68 miles a day , roughly 46 of it is highway , and I go 55 on the highway part.

I think even my non-hybrid Civic will do better than 32-33 MPG at that speed , but I can't say for sure since I 've never actually gone that fast ( unless downhill ).

What does your instant MPG read at 55 MPH on level ground ? That could give some of HCH experts here an idea if something is wrong.

4. Alansr

Alansr Member

I bought it from a family friend that originally bought it to putt around town and save gas on their SUVs. Since I commute for my job now they sold it to me. It's been well maintained, everything done by Honda and even new batteries in it.
    I'm sure slowing down will help but that is a long way to drive at 55

5. Alansr

Alansr Member

Wow I'm sorry....I just realized that this is not the hybrid forum.

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Ok, I moved the thread to the Honda Civic Hybrid forum.

:)

7. Alansr

Alansr Member

Ok,
    So I'm completely blown away!!!
    I inflated my tires to 39.5 "I got sick of my tire gage letting extra air out". I filled up with gas and drove 89 miles home. I tried to not do anything different because I wanted to see how each step helps raise MPG's.
    I ended up driving 74mph rather than 75-77 only because I hit the cruise button to soon.

Tires at 39.5, 74mph, and no A/C I got 41MPG all the way home!!!

I cannot believe that tire pressure made that much of a difference. I'm wondering if maybe I had a tail wind or something because I did not expect that much difference. To be honest the tires always looked fine so I never checked the air pressure. I was surprised that they were down to 28.

:woot::woot::woot:

8. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Great start, next time try keeping your speed lower. 65 MPH or lower... 55 MPH would be better if you can do it without creating a traffic hazard. I know on my Escape Hybrid, 65 MPH is OK mileage, but its all over at 70 MPH and above. If I can find an area where I can just set the cruise at 55 MPH I do quite well though.

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

If 39.5 is good , 45 psi = better. That's what I found.

Wind can make a big difference , even if it's only 3-5 mph. A 10 mph headwind can take a huge hit.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Hit it even sooner? :confused:

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

I know we've given you more advice than you probably wanted , but here's some more.

Cruise control can be the enemy of good MPG. It will constantly try to accelerate UPHILL , which is something you should never do ( unless you are using advanced techniques ). If you must use cruise because of fatigue ( happens to me) , shut it off just before a hill to let your speed decrease with constant throttle. Then let speed increase after you crest the hill and re-engage cruise if you wish. Make sure to USE gravity , not fight it.

12. Alansr

Alansr Member

I appreciate all the advice. I will be experimenting with some of the techniques the next few weeks.
    My max psi for my tires is 44....what kind of tires can go up to 45-50? I've read a few posts about them going that high before.

Thanks again for the advice.

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Lots of modern tires are rated at 51 max psi. Yours are 44 , like mine. I try to keep them at 44 front , 42 rear during the summer , about 40/38 if there could be snow. There are certain trade-offs involved when running higher pressures. Be aware of them before going higher.

14. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

A few things...

You need to understand that increasing your tire pressure as recommended adversely compromises handling, ride and traction. That said, I typically shoot for 36-38 psi. You should also confirm that you have tires that are classified as low rolling resistance tires.

70+ is your biggest issue. Drag increases by the square of velocity. Strictly aerodynamically speaking, 78mph has 101% more air drag on the car than 55mph where 65mph has only 40% more than 55mph. Yes, the HCH is one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road with a drag coefficient of 0.27, but that doesn't change the percentages. 78mph has 28% more drag than 69mph, and depending on the distances involved a -9mph difference probably won't mean so much in terms of minutes. If you could increase your mpg to 45+, would it be worth adding 10 minutes to your commute? That could mean a lot of $$ saved annually.

Lastly, use the cruise. I agree with the prior things said, but this is a practical, real-world situation. Don't make yourself a roadblock. The recommendations are accurate, but IMHO, impractical. I've tailored my advice based on my own commuting experienced and desire to balance fuel economy, speed and ultimately, time spent on the road.

For two years, I commuted from once side of Phoenix to the other, 65 miles round trip ('06 HCH). I ran 36-38psi, speed between 69 and 72mph (a few high congestion areas brought me down into the 40-50 range), used cruise when traffic flow permitted, and I got 45+mpg while maintaining flow with the traffic and making the commute as tolerable as possible time-wise.

Steve

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. S Keith

I just noticed that you said 89 mi to home. 69mph vs. 78mph will take you 9 minutes longer.

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Only if those speeds are maintained through the entire 89 miles. Otherwise, less than 9 minutes difference.

17. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

The police would like to respectfully disagree with your blanket assertion.

18. Alansr

Alansr Member

Thank you for the advice.
    Today I drove home at 65MPH and it made a huge difference. I went from about 33mpg to 39mpg according to the computer. I normally find that the computer is always a little low. The computer may show 32 or 33 and my gas app shows me at 35-37. It did take me a little while longer to get home but no big deal. Since I get up at 4am and I'm on the road by 445 I'm not sure I'll be able to do it on the way to work everyday. Sometimes I end up running late.
    I am very thankful for the advice because I normally use about 4-5 bars of gas and on the way home I hardly used 3 bars. f:stickshift:

19. S Keith

Glad to hear it. Keep an eye open for recals. Your IMA battery can perform very poorly before it will throw an IMA light. Frequent recals force-charge the battery and make you burn more gas. I assume you're in hilly terrain as 39mpg at 65mph still seems a little low. I'm typically 45+ at 65mph on flat terrain.

I concur that the mpg trip meter is conservative. Mileage traveled divided by gallons to fill is always better than the gage reads - typically by about 5%.

Happy driving!

20. Alansr

Alansr Member

It's fairly flat but there are a lot of overpass inclines. The previous owner had the batteries replaced about a month before we bought it. Once I fill up again I'll be able to get some better readings on my MPG's. It's also fairly cold well "Texas" cold, in the low 30's and down to the mid 20's. I'm not sure if that has any effect on it.