HCH Class Action Lawsuit - Canada Oct 30, 2014

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by jbart, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jbart

jbart Well-Known Member

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

We got that notice too. Good idea to post.

No warning lights for you? With ours the light FINALLY went on, likely due in part to more miles heeped on by our son and daughter in law. We were out of the warranty period, but Honda Canada paid for a new battery.

We'll likely just take the $100 offered, compensation for mpg falling short of claimed. Deadline is end of the year, I believe.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I got the notice as well. I got rid (or gave away almost )of my 2006 HCH a year ago. I hope Honda gets a hammered for the way they managed this problem. I suppose they have felt the impact of this design already, at least I hope they have. H

4. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

Not really... here in the states they gave people $500 off the purchase of another Honda (gee, isn't that self-serving) and a video on how to get better efficiency (as if we weren't doing that crap already).

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I would never purchase another Honda and I really liked there product. They build great auto's,but I would never buy another. H

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I haven't been burned by Honda YET , but I would think twice about a Honda hybrid. Even one that looks as good as the Accord Hybrid.

7. Mendel Leisk

The $500 rebate on new Honda or Acura is part of the Canadian offer as well. Funny, I shut that out of memory almost immediately, lol.

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

The Li-Ion based HCH-IIs have been out for a while now. Anyone hear a peep about them?

Wayne

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Not a peep,hardly.h

10. jbart

jbart Well-Known Member

There were so few sales of the Civic hybrids after the Governement rebates stopped and problems were reported in the US with some lawsuits, that Honda was often selling the Hybrid a year behind. i.e. 2009 model year in 2010 and so on. I dont think I have seen any HCH Li-ion models on the roads here. The very rare encounter with an Insight II or the even more rare CR-Z.

11. Mendel Leisk

Yup. Seems like Honda's engineers put a lot of effort into the HCH, were maybe urged by management to push the battery too hard, the problems came home to roost, management opted to ignore owners..., and here we are. ;)

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I wounder how the Fit Hybrid is doing down in Japan?

I'm at 50k on the Prius and so far so good.

13. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Having worked refurbs on 4 HCH2 packs I see the following consistently:

1. amazing amount of imbalance from stick to stick particularly in the as-removed condition.
    2. imbalance of cells within sticks based on substantial heat differentials between cells within the same sticks during charging.

I'm impressed it works at all. I'm 100% convinced grid charging on at least a quarterly basis is required to maintain any kind of balance/function.

Steve